• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old wax on plastic trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old wax on plastic trim

Perhaps an overasked question but I haven't found the answer I need. On both my Jeep and Chevy I have areas of plastic trim such as the weather stripping and the bumper covers where I went berzerk with an old orbital polisher and now am left with hazy white patches of wax residue. It has been a while since I waxed either vehicle, probably since summer, and was using a non-meguairs wax. In short I rushed and am paying for it.

I've bought NXT wax and some other products today hoping to get a good coat of wax on both trucks before the snow starts. Anyway, what would be the best method to remove the wax from the plastic? I hope this should be an obvious description, apologies if it is not.

Re: Old wax on plastic trim

Originally posted by Shienaran
    Perhaps an over asked question but I haven't found the answer I need.

Anyway, what would be the best method to remove the wax from the plastic?
    Hi Shienaran,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Dried wax on trim is a common problem. A good way to remove it is to use a nylon brush with either of these products,

#39 Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner

All Purpose Cleaner

M39 Vinyl Cleaner is available in a 16 ounce bottle and can be ordered online, or purchased through some retail auto parts stores.

Since this product is in Meguiar's Professional Line, you will have a good chance of finding it in what we call a PBE store. A PBE store is an auto parts store that caters to and sells automotive paint and related supplies to your local body shops. Here's a how-to article on how to locate one.

How to locate Meguiar’s Professional & Detailer products in your hometown

Also, to help you remove dried wax out of body seams and off of textured plastic, Meguiar's has introduced two new detailing brushes that will be available in 2005

Slide Lock Detail Brush
    Triple Duty Detail Brush

Hope this helps...

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hey,

I like to use the #39. Just leave it on a for a minute and then using an old toothbrush, work the product into the residue. Wipe off and top with #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner.

#40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner

Cheers!

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Sounds good. Know what I'm looking for on my lunch hour. Thanks!

Comment

I got wax on the side trim on my wife's Volvo S60. I tried the vinyl cleaner several times, but I couldn't get it all. Then one day I positioned her car so the sun was shining directly on the vinyl. When it was very warm, I used the vinly cleaner. Problem solved!
          Art Layton

Comment

A pink eraser works well too and it's less than a dollar. I tried both NXT Tech protectant and Gold Class Vinyl/Rubber Protectant and as long as the protectant was aplied it was barely visible. But once it wore off, the white residue remained. I even tried scrubbing with a terry cloth and a tooth brush but it would not come out of my rubber trim or pebble textured plastic bed caps.
            George G.
            ----------------------------------

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');