• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QEW and PB S&W question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QEW and PB S&W question

Okay the South has gotten cold now (if you consider 40 cold) so it is time to start breaking out the QEW and S&W.

My question actually pertains to both. When using these products indoors how do you take care of cleaning off bugs and cleaning the tires and wells?

With S&W what do you use for towels b/c I have noticed that you will dirty up all your MF's if you use them to clean a car with S&W.

Give Me the Knowledge
    "Washing for the People"

I've always used mitts to wash with QEW then blot dry each section at a time after washing with ww mfs.

The bugs already on the paint can be tough, Perhaps blot with a warm,damp towel and agitate with the mitt ? :nixweiss. Once you get them off, apply some PRO Bug Guard, that way at next wash, ( Would they still be flying around?)you can wash tthem right off with the QEW

I always used to just spray APC on plenty of throw away rags and wipe the wells clean, sometimes having wrap around a pole or stick to reach. I also just sprayed tire cleaner directly to the tires, brushed and then wiped dry with the rags.

For wheels you could use mitts for wheel duty only and plenty of S&W. This is something you probably have to do quite often.
    my product collection-- New !
    My Detailing Credo
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Comment

Re: QEW and PB S&W question

Originally posted by AutoNova

My question actually pertains to both. When using these products indoors how do you take care of cleaning off bugs and cleaning the tires and wells?
      This is a good question. I was wondering the same thing. The bug issue won't be a problem for my cars but if I continue to detail for clients that will be a problem. I'm going to try this method this weekend and post results. I will wash the front bumper/hood area last. I will still spray that area with body solvent and let dwell while I wash the rest of the vehicle. Then I will remove the bugs and wash with the remaining QEW. I figure that by finishing with this step I won't contaminate the QEW until I'm done with the wash water and car anyway. Then I'll dispose of the QEW.

As a side note I still employ the 2 bucket method with a grit gaurd while using QEW. If any time the 2 bucket method was important, it would be now!!

I still make a 3rd bucket for tires, wheels, and wells. I do this for regular washing too. This past weekend I had good luck just using QEW and a scrub brush on the tires and a wash mit on the rims. I might try using my usual degreaser on the tires first again. For the wells I used QEW and a handled scrub brush to knock off most of the dirt/sand before using a wash mit to clean the area again. This helps reduce the amount of sand/dirt/grit introduced to the tire bucket. My cars a relatively new and the wells were in great shape so the results were good. I don't forsee this being the best approach for really messed up wells though. I might try the degrease step first again then wash with QEW.

Originally posted by AutoNova

With S&W what do you use for towels b/c I have noticed that you will dirty up all your MF's if you use them to clean a car with S&W.

Give Me the Knowledge
      I have yet to use S&W so I can't comment.

Good luck sorry about the long post.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill D
        I've always used mitts to wash with QEW then blot dry each section at a time after washing with ww mfs.

The bugs already on the paint can be tough, Perhaps blot with a warm,damp towel and agitate with the mitt ? :nixweiss. Once you get them off, apply some PRO Bug Guard, that way at next wash, ( Would they still be flying around?)you can wash tthem right off with the QEW

I always used to just spray APC on plenty of throw away rags and wipe the wells clean, sometimes having wrap around a pole or stick to reach. I also just sprayed tire cleaner directly to the tires, brushed and then wiped dry with the rags.

For wheels you could use mitts for wheel duty only and plenty of S&W. This is something you probably have to do quite often.
        Bill, I am not familiar with PRO Bug Guard, can you give me some more info?
        "Washing for the People"

Comment

Scrub,

That bucket setup sounds outstanding

Auto Nova,

here you go: http://prowax.com/1prod_bulls/S-10pb03_16_04.pdf

Since we are discussing these non Megs products that Megs does not have an equivalent to , I'd like to suggest they make their own versions. This is an example of where they would come in handy
          My Detailing Credo

Comment

Scrub,

That bucket setup sounds outstanding

Thanks... I also use two lambs wool wash mitts.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub
              Thanks... I also use two lambs wool wash mitts.
              Now that's the way to go
              My Detailing Credo

Comment

Where can you pick up grit quards for 2-3 gallon buckets?
                "Washing for the People"

Comment

I'm sure I'll get them for my 5 gallon ones to usein addition to the two in one gallon method: take one 5 gallon bucket, drill loads of holes in the bottom and place in another, solid one. The holes help filter the dirt. I bet that coupled with a grit guard would really mean serious contamination protection

Thanks very much to Rod Kraft for the drilled bucket in another tip
                  My Detailing Credo

Comment

I'm sure I'll get them for my 5 gallon ones to usein addition to the two in one gallon method: take one 5 gallon bucket, drill loads of holes in the bottom and place in another, solid one. The holes help filter the dirt. I bet that coupled with a grit guard would really mean serious contamination protection

Thanks very much to Rod Kraft for the drilled bucket in another tip
                    The only problem i see with this method is that is alot of water. It doesn't seem like you would need 5 gallon buckets to wash a car? So my question remains how to get grit guards for 2 gallon buckets?
                    "Washing for the People"

Comment

Auto Nova,

You don't necessarily have to actually use 5 gallons of water in each. To the best of my knowledge, they don't make a Grit Guard in that size--although they really ought to. Perhaps try the 2 bucket in 1 method if they fit with the 2 gallons buckets
                      My Detailing Credo

Comment

Now that's the way to go
                        Thanks again.

As for 5 gallon buckets, just because these products are rinseless doesn't mean I would use any less water in my buckets than when I normally wash. Actually QEW makes me want to use more water to risne my wash mitt more often than normal washing. The grits has to go somewhere. The bottle even states to "Use proportionally more solution and water for larger vehicles."

When washing with QEW and using the 2 buckets I still dump and refill my mitt rinse bucket a few times per car.

I was skeptical of this product's ability and was just a bit overly cautious.

I checked out Grit Guard and another site for the 2 gallon grit guard but had no good luck finding anything. I'll keep diggin.

Thanks for the great discussion.

Comment

I didn't read the entire thread but S&W works very well for me to remove bugs. I just soak the bumper with the S&W and then wipe off with an MF and it works great and I have never had a problem with scratching.

Personally I've found that S&W is a very strong cleaner.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');