• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

Originally posted by xantonin View Post
    Looks fantastic. Me and a friend were considering doing this. I'm not sure we'd have the patience you do though. I'd probably need to pick up something to make the sanding easier. Doing it all by hand must be hard.
    The sanding isn't too bad. I could sand the hood in about 20 mins by hand. You can pick up sanding discs from 80 grit all the way to 2000 grit for your PC or G110 so that makes it easier too.

Comment

Originally posted by Psikys View Post
      Yup. Xantonin's the one who's all about shiney. We're going to be painting an 87 Ford Bronco. I went with Flat Black origionally, but I'm slowly coming around to the shiny glossy colors. Only reason I don't want it to be suuuper nice, Arizona Pin-striping. It's going to happen. I'm GOING to get rock chips, and swirls and blah blah blah.

Anyway Kerrinjeff, if you're interested, come check out the truck. We're in Phoenix. I'd love to get your input on the paint.
      The GREAT thing about the rustoleum is you can touch it up using the spray cans, sand and polish, and it's a perfect repair!

Comment

Originally posted by agp423 View Post
        Wow, amazing work! I'm tempted to paint my Cadillac white using your method
        How difficult would you say the project was? And how much time/effort did you put in?
        Not difficult at all, it just takes time. The nice part is you can stop and start whenever you want. I'd work on one panel at a time.

Initial sanding took about an hour, but I went overboard. You really just have to rough up the paint enough to make the next layer stick.

I sanded every evening before applying a fresh coat, that took about 20 mins and then another 15-20 to wipe it down and apply the coat of paint.

In the morning I just wiped it down and applied the coat of paint, about 20 mins.

I did this for 3 days.

Final sanding and polishing took a couple of hours.

I'd estimate total time to be about 10 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by stang_krazy View Post
          That's pretty mean and funny at the same time! I'd say the same thing LOL!
          Thanks for sharing , that is really a good job!

We used to do our railbuggies the same way, well not all the sanding but you get the ideal. And yeah it almost always took 3 coats for an even coverage. Also was alot better at not getting as scratched up in the woods as to the rattle cans.

Again great job buddy!
          Thanks Sorry didn't mean to rub it in That's the only way we stay sane here since it's 110 every day in the summer

Comment

What did you use between sanding and applying the coats to wipe down the surface?

Comment

What did you use between sanding and applying the coats to wipe down the surface?
              I used 50/50 iso alcohol and water, then followed that up with a tack cloth

Comment

Im going to give this a try this spring time. My front bumper looks awful from all the rock chips. I was going to let Macco give it a shot but after seeing how easy this is, ill give this a shot first.

Is there a particular type of Rustoleum I need to look for? (The bumper is black)

Comment

Originally posted by Fischer View Post
                  Im going to give this a try this spring time. My front bumper looks awful from all the rock chips. I was going to let Macco give it a shot but after seeing how easy this is, ill give this a shot first.

Is there a particular type of Rustoleum I need to look for? (The bumper is black)
                  Get this:

Also, I've been doing more experimenting. It seems like a 3:2 paint:mineral spirits mixture is ideal (instead of 1:1). Coats go on a little thicker with little to no orange peel.

Post pics of your project

Comment

Thinking of doing this to a CRV I'm getting with a pretty abused paint job. It's also red and I favor black. Is it okay to do entirely outside? Of course I won't do it on high wind days(dust) but I don't have access to a garage of any kind. And how much paint do you have to take off before you can start rolling it?
                    1986 4Runner 4wd
                    almost 200k miles
                    the legacy lives on

Comment

Originally posted by CathyG View Post
                      Thinking of doing this to a CRV I'm getting with a pretty abused paint job. It's also red and I favor black. Is it okay to do entirely outside? Of course I won't do it on high wind days(dust) but I don't have access to a garage of any kind. And how much paint do you have to take off before you can start rolling it?

Alot of people have rolled it outside without a problem.

You only need to rough up the paint enough for the new paint to stick. I recommend getting a good auto primer at an auto parts store and follow the directions for laying down the primer. It usually recommends prepping with about 320 grit sand paper.

Comment

I never thought about using my G110 as a sander. Where did you purchase the sanding supplies to attach on to your PC?

Comment

I never thought about using my G110 as a sander. Where did you purchase the sanding supplies to attach on to your PC?
                          Check out Space Age Auto Paint on Country Club in Mesa between Southern and Broadway

Comment

Truly amazing work. I have been following other forum on the topic and love before and after pictures.
                            My car is a grey/silver colour (66 mustang) and I love this color but is old and has seen better days. Is there any colour out there that would come close to a silver/grey. I have heard rustoleum aluminum will not work, is this true

Comment

I dont think the roll on paint job will work on metalic paint. The metalic wont lay right.

Comment

Originally posted by aussie-01 View Post
                                Truly amazing work. I have been following other forum on the topic and love before and after pictures.
                                My car is a grey/silver colour (66 mustang) and I love this color but is old and has seen better days. Is there any colour out there that would come close to a silver/grey. I have heard rustoleum aluminum will not work, is this true
                                The only problem with silver and grey is that without metal flake, they look like primer...and as Larry pointed out, you can't put metal flake in single stage paint and have the ability to polish.

The lighter colors turn out best - I have seen excellent results with white, red, and blue. I chose black and got it to look good but it is more work.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');