• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Muscle Car that will never be: The 2011 Pontiac Trans Am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Muscle Car that will never be: The 2011 Pontiac Trans Am

Two very cool design concepts by Kevin Morgan. The first photo is truer to the first generation F body Firebird which was manufactured between 1968/69. The 2nd photo married the nose fascia and rear taillight treatment of the late 70's 2nd generation F body Firebird to the first generation coupe design.

The guys at Trans Am Depot in Tallahassee, Florida actually brought the 2nd concept car to life, and Hot Rod Magazine did a really cool write-up on it in their current edition (Fifth Gen Pontiac T/A - 2011 Trans Am).

My first car was very nearly a primer gray 1969 Firebird, but my dad thought it looked too fast and made me buy a 1967 GTO instead.

Oh, the irony...but I digress.

So forgive me if to this day I maintain a soft spot in my heart for the Firebird/Trans Am. To have that screaming chicken on the hood was the goal of every gear head I knew and befriended in high school

Re: The Muscle Car that will never be: The 2011 Pontiac Trans Am

I like the first one much better.... the 2nd one looks too much like the new camaro

Comment

Originally posted by benhui86 View Post
      I like the first one much better.... the 2nd one looks too much like the new camaro
      x2
      Zach Hall

2001.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel - DD/Tow rig
      1983 Chevy C10 - Race/Show rig
      1939 Dodge D11 Luxury Liner Deluxe - Antique resto. project

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post

Two very cool design concepts by Kevin Morgan. The first photo is truer to the first generation F body Firebird which was manufactured between 1968/69. The 2nd photo married the nose fascia and rear taillight treatment of the late 70's 2nd generation F body Firebird to the first generation coupe design.

The guys at Trans Am Depot in Tallahassee, Florida actually brought the 2nd concept car to life, and Hot Rod Magazine did a really cool write-up on it in their current edition (Fifth Gen Pontiac T/A - 2011 Trans Am).

My first car was very nearly a primer gray 1969 Firebird, but my dad thought it looked too fast and made me buy a 1967 GTO instead.

Oh, the irony...but I digress.

So forgive me if to this day I maintain a soft spot in my heart for the Firebird/Trans Am. To have that screaming chicken on the hood was the goal of every gear head I knew and befriended in high school
        Whoops! My mistake!

I made some reference mistakes in my first post. The first Kevin Morgan rendition (BTW, why are all the cool car guys named Kevin or Mike? ) shows the nose fascia from a 2nd generation F body Firebird, not a 1st generation. The body is 1st generation, but the nose and tail treatment is definitely 2nd generation 1970-76. The 2nd Kevin Morgan rendition is a 3rd generation nose and tail (1977-81) mated to the same platform. Think Smokey and the Bandit.

Comment

I like the first one too, looks more classic. Also the gold trim really gives the trans am the trade mark trans am feel

Comment

Wow! Both cars look hott!! 2nd one does look a lot like the new Camaro though.
            2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
            Black Obsidian

Comment

Yeah I know that I'm stang_krazy but before that first ride in a 5.0 I was a trans am guy (true trans am w/ the pontiac engine)owning a few.

And when I first heard/read about the f-body twins no more it was a sad day indeed! 2 American history greats was fading away. Then it stated that one would be back Still had hopebut we all know which one it is

Don't get me wrong have a place in my heart for both after all there american muscle! AMERICAN

And one day they will be another!

But everytime I see these designs I get the itch again for another.

Thanks clearlycoated for posting this one up, your also a true trans-am guy! that actually knows that it's a screaming chicken, no need to be forgiven I'm with you buddy!!!!!!!!!
              ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
              You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
              Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Originally posted by stang_krazy View Post
                Yeah I know that I'm stang_krazy but before that first ride in a 5.0 I was a trans am guy (true trans am w/ the pontiac engine)owning a few.

And when I first heard/read about the f-body twins no more it was a sad day indeed! 2 American history greats was fading away. Then it stated that one would be back Still had hopebut we all know which one it is

Don't get me wrong have a place in my heart for both after all there american muscle! AMERICAN

And one day they will be another!

But everytime I see these designs I get the itch again for another.

Thanks clearlycoated for posting this one up, your also a true trans-am guy! that actually knows that it's a screaming chicken, no need to be forgiven I'm with you buddy!!!!!!!!!
                In high school, we were all about GM muscle cars. I owned a 67 goat, my cousin owned a 73 Camaro Z28, and his half brother owned a 70 Pontiac LeMans. My best buddy owned an Olds 442. All fire-breathing, gas guzzling American Iron Horses. I think the "smallest" engine among us was the 389 cubic inch powerplant in the LeMans. I had a 400 "standard" in the GTO that produced a ridiculous 325 horsepower paired with the best torque ratio I have ever had in any car that I've owned. Later I replaced the stock Rochester quadrajet carb with a Holley 800 cfm 4bbl after the quadrajet cracked at the mounting base (I was in high school and didn't appreciate the value of a torque wrench). I'm not sure if I boosted the horsepower, but the engine throttled like an outboard motor and just gave it a meaner sound.

Bought it for $2400 in 1977, got $800 in trade for it when I bought a new Accord in 1982. Recently saw a restored 67 GTO selling for $35,000.

Sigh....

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
                  In high school, we were all about GM muscle cars. I owned a 67 goat, my cousin owned a 73 Camaro Z28, and his half brother owned a 70 Pontiac LeMans. My best buddy owned an Olds 442. All fire-breathing, gas guzzling American Iron Horses. I think the "smallest" engine among us was the 389 cubic inch powerplant in the LeMans. I had a 400 "standard" in the GTO that produced a ridiculous 325 horsepower paired with the best torque ratio I have ever had in any car that I've owned. Later I replaced the stock Rochester quadrajet carb with a Holley 800 cfm 4bbl after the quadrajet cracked at the mounting base (I was in high school and didn't appreciate the value of a torque wrench). I'm not sure if I boosted the horsepower, but the engine throttled like an outboard motor and just gave it a meaner sound.

Bought it for $2400 in 1977, got $800 in trade for it when I bought a new Accord in 1982. Recently saw a restored 67 GTO selling for $35,000.

Sigh....
                  As I set here reading your reply I got to listening to what I had on XM (TED NUGENT-STRANGLEHOLD) makes me thing about the movie dazed and confused and your story about your cars in high school, and mine as well! LOL

I think I'll be watching dazed and confused a little later on tonight

Loved all the ''big 3'' muscle/sport cars from the late 60's - 70's and the f-bodies & fox bodies from the early 80's!

LATER
                  ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
                  You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
                  Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

They should make a new version of the GTO that looks like the original muscle car, instead of a regular sedan.

Comment

I'd like to take a classic trans am, like the 1978 in that one picture and put a late model corvette fuel injected engine in it!

Comment

I like the 2nd one. I've always been a fan of the '77 in Smokey and the Bandit and the 2nd one seems to reflect that style a little better

Comment

I l;ike the first one. It just looks meatier to me.
                          quality creates its own demand

Comment

I've always liked the black/gold color combo of the Trans Am. I'm a Mopar guy myself, but I do like the Trans Am, especially the Burt Reynold Special Edition Year One has put out for sale.

Comment

I like the first one. That would have been a nice car.
                              Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
                              www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
                              Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');