• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White marks on plastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White marks on plastic

Hello again!

I have been noticing some white marks starting to appear on the textured black plastic of the cowl vents from my 2004 Mustang Mach 1. The area seems to be a low spot on the cowl that pools water and is probably the last to evaporate.

I have tried to use various cleaners such as Gold Class All Purpose Cleaning Wipes, Finish 2000, and Armour All cleaner wipes but none have taken it off, or even faded it. The wipes I thought maybe were not getting the liquid into the texture of the plastic so that is why I sprayed the Finish 2000 on it. I even tried using a plastic bristled brush but all that did is scratch the plastic a little, so now I have two problems.

When I bought the car I only had one spot, now I have several. I am using NXT wash to wash the car, but the original spot was there from when I bought it.

Here are some photos of what it looks like. If you look close you might be able to see the scratches.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the stains and then the scratches?

Thanks,

Dave

Hey,

Those marks appear to be the remains of water spotting, or from your windshiled washer head.

I would use Meguiar's #39 Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner with a toothbrush. First carefully spray the #39 on to the spots. Leave the cleaner for a minute and then use a toothbrush to scrub the area. When the spots are gone, then top with Meguiar's #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner.

#39 Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner

#40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner

#40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner

Give that a try and let us know how it turns out!

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks! I will try that and let you know.

Dave

Comment

With high hopes I tried both #39 and then #40 but it did not make a dent in the stain. I let the #39 sit on the stain for 15 mins then scrubbed with a tooth brush but nothing changed.

The salesperson at the store where I bought the #39 suggested painting if I could not get marks out but I would like to think something else short of that would remove it.

Any more ideas?

Dave
        PS here is what the car looked like after my first detail!

Comment

Originally posted by Deeve

The salesperson at the store where I bought the #39 suggested painting if I could not get marks out but I would like to think something else short of that would remove it.

Any more ideas?
          You might try the Gold Class Trim Detailer.

I have brought back some seriously neglected textured plastic trim with it. For $2.99 it might be worth a shot, painting is an extreme step.

Lynn Matthews

Comment

Hi Dave,

Meg's #39 did not touch it!????? Then those spots are more serious then they appear in the photo.

Do the spots look like a peeling layer of clear paint? Do they have hard or crusty edges to them? Are they anywhere else on the car?

OK, let's try a different route. I agree with Lynn on the Trim Detailer, so try that first. Then I would try vinegar and water mix (Test in a HIDDEN area first). I would also try something like WD-40. I would also test in a HIDDEN spot just in case the WD-40 reacts with the plastic.

We will keep trying to figure it out! Getting it painted should only happen after everything else has be tried first.

Tim

Comment

The stain does not look like peeling paint and it does not have any hard edges or appear crusty and are only in that area. There is a second separate stain a few inches away, but thats it. It looks like a soaked in stain on cloth, if that makes sense. You see where whatever made the stain happened more than once because I noticed two separate areas with a spot that overlaps. The area is a low spot on the cowl where water pools and does not drain away.

The stain does not get worse or change when it rains or when I wash it. It seems to be staying the same.

For what it's worth I even tried to use some Scratch X on it, very gently, to see if a petrolium product removed it. I will also try WD-40 and the Vinegar mix.

The car is under warranty too, so along with these treatments I am going to see if they might just replace it for me since it seems to be from when it was new before I bought it. I doubt it will work, but I am going to try it anyway.

I would like to figuire it out thought becuase if it happens once it could happen again.

Dave

Comment

Well, the Vinegar and WD30 did nothing to the stain. Its really strange. I have yet to try the Trim Detailer. My guess if that is nothing seems to take it off, all I can hope to do with the Detailer is to make it blend in a little or cover it up.

Any more ideas?

Dave

Comment

Hey,

I am starting to wonder if the plastic is discolored permanently. If so, no cleaner will help. Perhaps if your car is under warranty, they will replace the part. I would ask and see what they say.

Tim

Comment

I am wondering the very same thing. I't may be that it was like that from the factory. I've noticed today that if I run my finger across the plastic where the stain is the plastic feels different, almost softer.

I will be taking it by the dealer and see what they say.

Dave

Comment

The stain is either in the plastic or on the plastic, and my guess is in the plastic as in stained. If you can get it replaced, as soon as it is in place, keep it protected by maintaining it with the Gold Class Trim Detailer.

Mike
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Before you replace it I would try Forever Black. This a permanent black dye for plastic. There are several on line stores that sell the kits.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');