• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to colormatch red paintjob?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to colormatch red paintjob?

I got a quick question My car's color is red. My passenger door is a little lighter than the red of the car. Is there anything I can do to darken the color? I've already tried polishing it and using the meguilar's deep Crustal polish and then I used the Zymol Rogue wax which has a red dye in it. The passenger door is still a little bit lighter than the rest of the car. What can I do?

Re: How to colormatch red paintjob?

Originally posted by dt101 View Post
    I got a quick question My car's color is red. My passenger door is a little lighter than the red of the car. Is there anything I can do to darken the color? I've already tried polishing it and using the meguiar's deep Crustal polish and then I used the Zymol Rogue wax which has a red dye in it. The passenger door is still a little bit lighter than the rest of the car. What can I do?
    Perhap's someone can answer this question, does a polish remove the existing wax and get into the paint? If not, perhaps stripping the door with Isopropyl alcohol mixed 50/50 with water and then using the polish and wax steps may make the paint darker than the rest of the car.

However, odds are that door was repainted at some point and wasn't matched very well. Only a repaint by an expert paint mixer with the appropriate technology will correct it.

Comment

Re: How to colormatch red paintjob?

A picture will help if you can get one.

When you tried to polish did the red color come off on your rag? If so it is a single stage paint (no clear coat) and has simply oxidized. More polishing will remove the oxidation.

When you open the door is the door jamb a different color than the outside? can you see any overspray from a paint job? These will determine if the door has been repaired at one point.

To answer seth's question, yes wax will be removed when polishing but it is just that much more for the polish to do. If the surface is prepped with an alcohol wipedown it allows the polish to work at peak potential from the very start.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');