• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washing and Waxing advice from a major automaker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing and Waxing advice from a major automaker.

I found this Washing and Waxing advice on the website maintained by the manufacturer of my car (I won't identify the manufacturer by name, but it's one of the Japanese "Big 3").

Overall, some good tips for the general population on how to properly wash and wax their vehicles (although the "1/2 capful of mild detergent" almost negates the rest of their good tips). I was surprised that any automobile maker would take time to post car detailing tips on their website.
    Washing and Waxing

Frequent washing and waxing is the best way to keep your car looking showroom new. Follow these steps to preserve the finish:

Park in the shade. If the vehicle was in the sun, let it cool before washing.

Spray the vehicle with cool water to remove loose dirt.

Fill a bucket with cool water and a 1/2 capful of mild detergent.

Wash the vehicle with the water and detergent solution. Use a non-abrasive cloth or sponge. Rinse the washed areas before they dry.

Remove any sap or road tar with a formulation made specifically for that purpose. Carefully read the label to be sure that the product will not damage paint. Rinse and re-wax the area even if the rest of the vehicle doesn't need waxing.

Dry the vehicle with a chamois or soft towel. Air drying causes dulling and water spots.

Wax the vehicle if water stayed on the hood or roof in large patches. Water forms beads or droplets on cars with adequate coats of wax.

Apply a high-quality liquid or paste wax according to the instructions on the container. If the paint has a build up of "road film" that won't wash off, use a combination cleaner/waxer instead. Choose a non-abrasive cleaner designed for today's two-step paint finishes, which are topped by a clear, protective coating.

Re: Washing and Waxing advice from a major automaker.

They put the tips in the manual. One could argue that car wash soap is a mild detergent (Dawn is not a mild detergent) but detergent is can have different connotations to different people. I hear detergent and think dish and laundry.

The Ford manuals recommend specifically against dish soaps.
    Al
    ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

Originally posted by Bunky View Post
      They put the tips in the manual. One could argue that car wash soap is a mild detergent (Dawn is not a mild detergent) but detergent is can have different connotations to different people. I hear detergent and think dish and laundry.

The Ford manuals recommend specifically against dish soaps.
      Same here, detergent = dish and laundry to me.

With that said, the general populace also thinks Dish and Laundry = Soap and proceeds to wash their cars with it.

I still shiver to this day remembering back when I was in high school and some of my friends washed their cars with clorox.
      2006 San Remo Red WRX TR
      2005 Ford Ranger XLT

Detailers clean places nobody see. Detailer see's things nobody else see. But if you ask a Detailer to see how a dress looks on a woman, they are blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Caress Detailing View Post
        Same here, detergent = dish and laundry to me.

With that said, the general populace also thinks Dish and Laundry = Soap and proceeds to wash their cars with it.

I still shiver to this day remembering back when I was in high school and some of my friends washed their cars with clorox.
        Clorox !!!
        Addicted

Comment

I can honestly say that I have always washed my cars with car wash soap. Thanks Dad!

Comment

My Dad still washes his vehicles with whatever Mom has under the kitchen sink. They all shine very nice, but then again, he doesn't keep his cars very long. The owners manual for his new "land yacht" specifically states NOT to use dish soap, (I have pointed it out) yet he "poo poos" it and says "soap is soap"

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
              My Dad still washes his vehicles with whatever Mom has under the kitchen sink. They all shine very nice, but then again, he doesn't keep his cars very long. The owners manual for his new "land yacht" specifically states NOT to use dish soap, (I have pointed it out) yet he "poo poos" it and says "soap is soap"
              You know what you should do then, replace all of the shampoo and soap in his shower with dish soap. When he asks what's going on you just tell him "soap is soap, right?"

Comment

Sometimes wording is a little off when translation is required. The way we use "soap" may be the way the Japanese use "detergent." Not saying this is ture or false, just saying that the wording isn't wrong just the American interpertation of the word.

Comment

Originally posted by Garage Troll View Post
                  You know what you should do then, replace all of the shampoo and soap in his shower with dish soap. When he asks what's going on you just tell him "soap is soap, right?"
                  Better still, Megs Gold Class under the sink might do the trick.

Comment

I remember, back when I didn't know better.. and I didn't care, because the boss was making me wash his truck.. all I could find was SoftScrub..
                    www.reflectionsautodetailing.biz

Comment

Originally posted by LelandGray View Post
                      I remember, back when I didn't know better.
                      I have to say back in the 60's there just wasn't the products available like there are today so it was literally what ever was under the sink...
                      BobbyG

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');