• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Deeper Scratches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Deeper Scratches

Hi Folks
    Am new to the forum and also recently started using Meguiars Products. Sometime back due to improper cloth usage, my car has been scratched pretty badly with a lot of surface scratches and some little deeper- but all due to incorrect wiping and sometimes wiping dusty car.
    Here in india there are hardly any detailing centers and one of them recently started is using Meguiars
    I had a visit there and they are doing the following steps
    1. Claying
    2. Using #85- Diamond Cut with a Machine
    3. Follow up with #80 Speed Glaze
    I had a test and saw most of the swirls and scratches go- but some did not(90% gone)
    I wanted to check if there is something else that can be used for deeper ones? I tried hard to capture the images on my camera but not able to- but the scratches are the kind of horizontal lines u would get if you just wipe a cloth over car covered with dust( which is not unusual here in india at least)
    Mods:If this is a topic which is already covered in another thread, please delete this and direct me there

Re: Removing Deeper Scratches

Going with Diamond Cut and a machine is fairly agressive already, assuming used properly and all.

Can you feel any of the scratches with your finger nail?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
      Going with Diamond Cut and a machine is fairly agressive already, assuming used properly and all.

Can you feel any of the scratches with your finger nail?
      Thanks for the reply. Actually i cannot feel any of them with my nail. Its almost as if the scratches appear a layer below- dunno how to capture them in the camera as they are not big one anyways...have you seen those that are caused by wiping a harsh cloth over car covered with dust? They are not the kind what are caused by external items getting rubbed( like the sort when you scrape against anything or someone brushes against your car)
      Will doing a second round with the machine help? I suppose the products from Consumer series like Ultimate Compound/Scratch X may not work if i do repeat applications later?

Comment

You could certainly ask for their opinions on what was left behind.

Factory paint jobs arent super thick, so they may not have wanted to be overly agressive, or work the area for too long.

You could try more Ultimate Compound by hand, that wont be as strong as a rotary of course. But it may help if you want to try something safer on your own.

Comment

You could certainly ask for their opinions on what was left behind.

Factory paint jobs arent super thick, so they may not have wanted to be overly agressive, or work the area for too long.

You could try more Ultimate Compound by hand, that wont be as strong as a rotary of course. But it may help if you want to try something safer on your own.
          Thanks again for the reply. Actually we really do not have many professional people here, the guy told me those deeper ones will not go. I examined those closely- they are clearly not such which can be felt with my fingernail- they are looking as if there a layer above them ( almost like a thin sheet). I am confused hence wanted to check if the product they used was ok. Should a rubbing compound be used for this? Would it have made a difference that i have used Megs NXT 2.0 wax which may have acted as a layer above this?
          He did wax, but was minimal...Good that i know now that the prod used was sufficient

Comment

No, the wax wont matter. It may help hide them a little, but they'll still be there.

A rubbing ccompound would be something used by hand, like the Ultimate Compound. You could try a little UC by hand on one of the spots, but dont know if it will help.

As a side note, will you be maintaing the car yourself in the future?

Comment

No, the wax wont matter. It may help hide them a little, but they'll still be there.

A rubbing ccompound would be something used by hand, like the Ultimate Compound. You could try a little UC by hand on one of the spots, but dont know if it will help.

As a side note, will you be maintaing the car yourself in the future?
              I will be maintaining by own hand only
              I went and got the treatment done, here is what they did
              1. Washed
              2.Clayed
              3. Applied #66 QD using machine
              NOW AS soon as this was done on the bonnet and one side, i saw surface swirls and scratches. I suspected unclean pad, it was cleaned.
              4. Applied Diamond Cut by machine
              5. Applied Speed Glaze
              Some of the surface scratches remained- which came in new. Also swirls...
              I need help: What was wrong here and what could be the reason for seeing new scratches and some swirls?
              Who can help me with this please and tell me from Meguiars point of view, was the correct procedure/products applied?
              PLEASE HELP!!!!

Comment

What kind of machine? You mentioned you used a machine several times but didn't say what type? Since you're from India my guess will be you're using a rotary buffer or a TOB.

What kind of pads?

Besides your choice of product, there are three other factors that have a HUGE affect on your results or lack thereof...

Application Material - What the buffing pad is made out of or if working by hand what the material is made out of
                Application Process - By hand or machine and if by machine what type of machine
                Skill & Experience - Everyone has to get these two things on their own.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

If the clear coat was pierced more than 25%, the scratches can not be removed totally with machine polish.You can only be reduced.You need a rotary.I used Makita 9227 cb and 3m.
                  1) 3M Fast Cut Plus with green foam pad.
                  2) 3M Extrafina with yellow foam pad.
                  3) 3M Ultrafina with blue foam pad.
                  then glaze,sealant and wax.
                  www.ozcarwash.ro
                  Atelierul de cosmetica auto din Craiova

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');