• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

? on clearcoat failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? on clearcoat failure

Hey guys , Is it possible to fix a cc this bad. What must be done to fix this? Have a car coming Thursday with this bad of failure.

Thanks ghevettocivic for this pic .

Jeff

You can't correct cc failure (bascially because there is no cc left on that section) , the only option is respray.

Comment

Hey,

I have to agree with the above poster. The only fix for clear coat failure is getting it repainted. Sorry.

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Re: ? on clearcoat failure

Originally posted by alanceperson
        Hey guys , Is it possible to fix a cc this bad. What must be done to fix this? Have a car coming Thursday with this bad of failure.

Thanks ghevettocivic for this pic .

The above picture is an excellent representation of clearcoat failure. There is nothing that can be done to improve this except to repaint. We see a lot of this in our area.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Question:

Is this type clearcoat failure a paint defect or paint neglect? I've seen it a lot in my area on other cars.

Comment

The car coming in tomorrow is from neglect. I get pics on tomorrow. Has been sitting for long time.

If i could fix this by recoating with clear. How should it be done. Should i sand all old cc off replace with new or take old paint off to reply new paint and new cc also.
            Last edited by alanceperson; Dec 8, 2004, 11:39 AM.
            Jeff

Comment

You can't just reshoot clear, you have to sand it down and redo the whole paint, base coat and clear coat. You see a lot of this on cars in my area too. Some when they're in the earlier stages than this you can see where the clear coat is peeling up at the edges (you could literally grab and peel off a small chunk of clear coat).
              Later,
              Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
              Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

Thanks all for input
                Jeff

Comment

can clear coat failure be totally prevented by regular polishing and waxing?

Comment

Ricky,

Any idea as to what best to do when seeing early signs of a clear coat failure? I got a 93 Camaro that has clear coat chipped away in very small areas right beside the window trim on the door.

Comment

I really dont know. If it's a chip touch it up at least to prevent possible corrosion of the panel in that spot at least.
                      Later,
                      Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
                      Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');