• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tire Cleaner Research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually go with some kind of an all purpose or a rubber cleaner. Following that I always dress the tires. I like a dark flat look and my favorite new setup is #40 followed by 303 after the 40 dries. I like that because when you do a wash most of the dressing comes off so you don't have to break out the apc every week.

Comment

I wonder if you can add another choice in this poll ---> "very rare". Or maybe I should just vote on "never".

Since I use my car for auto-x, and oftentimes using the tire dressing will cause the tires to lose traction around corners (at the initial turn-in) because of the tire dressing on the tire shoulder. So I don't usually use tire dressing. I only use tire dressing if there is a long break between events.

Also, I used to use the Eagle A to Z wheel cleaner for cleaning the wheels and tires (with brush to agitate). Now I'm using NXT car wash to clean the wheels as well as the tires.
      2010 Audi S4 6MT
      2009 BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
      YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
        What type of products have you used in the past to clean your tires?
        On the Aurora, I use APC+ at about 8:1 an d a stiff-bristled brush. On the other cars, I use A2Z since I'm using it on the wheels anyway.

I clean tires when I wash the car on the daily-drivers, but only a few times a year on the Aurora as they stay pretty clean.

I typically now dress them with Endurance or Hot Shine mainly because I feel like I'm wasting good product using other vinyl/rubber products on them.
        1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
        2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
        1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

I have been using car wash and soft brush for tires for a long time, Then I switched and started using A2Z for everything wheels tires, wells. but it became rather expensive when doing friends and family members cars. So I picked up Triple Seven APC by Auto Magic, and dilute it 4-1 and it works well. I might try 6-1 being 4-1 works so well. I always dress tires, I have used Turtle wax, EO, Meguiar's, 303, and Stoners dressing, I really like 303 but I only use it on interiors now, and tend to use EO Wet on tires. looking to try some hyper dressing in the near future.
          Last edited by cheapthrills; Dec 8, 2004, 02:42 PM.

Comment

I live in a rural area with lots of field dirt, dust, and mud. By the time I get around to washing the car, the dirt is stuck on fairly well.

I usually start with Gold Class All Wheel Cleaner on the tires and wheels. I scrub the tires with Meguiar's curved tire brush and then rinse everything off.

I then wash the car per usual and then scrub the wheels, then tires, with a dedicated wash mitt (inexpensive cotton mitt) and the left over water from the car body.

If I feel that they are still farily dirty, I will use EXTRA All Surface Cleaner and the curved tire brush.

When I polished the car over Thanksgiving weekend, I tried a new bottle of #39 Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner on the trim and was impressed enough to see what it would do with the tires. After all the above steps, I still removed dirt with the #39.

On my '66 Mustang, I use Gold Class Endurance with two coats. The Volvo gets an application of #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner

Comment

My vote is "never", but the reality is once-in-a-blue-moon.
              Alway wash down the wheels and tires with leftover car soap, but rarely dress tires on a regular basis.

Comment

Thanks for the poll change Mike. But the change isn't exactly what I meant! I thought that a fourth choice of "usually" would be a good idea in addition to the "sometimes" choice. For example, I usually (9 in 10 times) dress my tires after cleaning. I sometimes (1 in 10 times) use glass cleaner on the windows. Oh well, no big deal!

Comment

I usually use Meguiar's EXTRA or Simple Green (recommended by Fikse, the wheel manufacturer) and a stiff brush.

Comment

Originally posted by thejazzguy
                    Thanks for the poll change Mike. But the change isn't exactly what I meant! I thought that a fourth choice of "usually" would be a good idea in addition to the "sometimes" choice. For example, I usually (9 in 10 times) dress my tires after cleaning. I sometimes (1 in 10 times) use glass cleaner on the windows. Oh well, no big deal!
                    Sorry about that thehazzguy, I guess I didn't understand what you meant?

With 61 people now having voted, I don't think it would be valid, or fair to change the poll now. It is pretty clear from the votes that are in what most people prefer to do when it comes to cleaning and dressing their tires.

Thanks for you suggestion early on however, I do appreciate your input.

Mike
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by scrub
                      Mike, where's this going??
                      We're trying to get an idea of the percentage of people that dress or treat their tires after they clean them. This poll is to get a feel for what people think?

On a personal note, if you look at the polls in this forum, this is an opportunity for our members to directly give their input, ideas, suggestions, comments, even complaints directly to Meguiar's.

I can assure you, there are people here at Meguiar's that are reading with interest what you have to say. I hope you will all agree this is a good thing!

If you're reading this now and haven't voted in the four different polls in this forum, or if you have voted but have a comment you would like to add to the thread, then I encourage you to do so.

You have our ear!

Thanks,

Mike
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                        We're trying to get an idea of the percentage of people that dress or treat their tires after they clean them. This poll is to get a feel for what people think?

On a personal note, if you look at the polls in this forum, this is an opportunity for our members to directly give their input, ideas, suggestions, comments, even complaints directly to Meguiar's.

I can assure you, there are people here at Meguiar's that are reading with interest what you have to say. I hope you will all agree this is a good thing!

If you're reading this now and haven't voted in the four different polls in this forum, or if you have voted but have a comment you would like to add to the thread, then I encourage you to do so.

You have our ear!

Thanks,

Mike
                        That's what I was wanting to hear... A company that will listen to the needs of its customers. Thanks!

Comment

I always wash my wheels/tires when washing the car but seldom apply a dressing on it because it's so oily and it's hard to clean the next time.. I hate oily surfaces that the Endurance gives... I usually apply dressing when I have just detailed the car or waxed it to complete the look.. I guess now that the hyper dressing would be a remedy to this one!
                          2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Well, Meguiar's already makes about 7 products in the pro and consumer line (not including the detailer) that can be used to dress tires.

My guess? Either they are looking to scale it down, or they are looking at some kind of cleaner/dressing all-in-one type thing...

Comment

On --my-- car I will ALWAYS dress not only the fronts but the --backs-- of the tires as well I also always clean with a dedicated tire cleaner when the need arises.

If you consider launching a new cleaner and a new dressing I'd high recommend getting some input from the tire manufacturers as well. If they recommend certain ingredients use them only.

This tends to be an area I'm overly concerned about
                              Last edited by Bill D; Dec 9, 2004, 11:46 AM.
                              my product collection-- New !
                              My Detailing Credo
                              Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Comment

Heheh, tires are one I'm *least* concerned about in that regard. My paint, rubber trim, etc, I want to last the life of the car. Tires? Nah, they are gone in a few years anyways. Even on a low-mileage car, tires don't stay safe after too many years anyways. I'd be worried about 10 year old tires, even with minimal wear on them.

Of course that's not to say I want to just put cheap **** on my tires. And many products I use aren't tire-specific anyway, so of course I want them to be safe on rubber and vinyl. And I've seen tires where the sidewalls got all crumbly from cheap dressings, and of course I care, just not as much as I care about the more permanent parts of the car.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');