• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washing the Undercarriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also there's A sound deadened by second skin audio that u can spray under the car. It will not only protect from rust but also quiet the road noise down. And it's really not expensive at all. Lizard skin also makes something as well.

Comment

Re: Washing the Undercarriage

I do a few simple things, but I started with a new car, and I live in the South where there is no snow/slush:

First, I don't drive on dirt or gravel roads. If I have to, like to get across a large park or something, I go very, very slow. Second, I don't drive in the rain, or even on significantly wet roads. If I have to, I clean it up very soon after. When that cleaning needs doing, I go to a coin-op pressure washer and focus on the underside with the suds and the wax settings, then soon after, or for regular touch-ups, I'll coat the whole undercarriage with tire foam - yes, tire foam. The foam creates a petroleum/waxy layer over parts that makes them look nice, but also protects them a bit from the elements.

The result is I now have a 2-year-old car that still looks new underneath.
      Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
      4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
      First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Living in south western quebec we probably get more salt and salt solutions on our roads then 97% of north america. There are days when you would think you were driving down a gravel road its on so thick.

I was shown by someone about 10 years ago the underside of his 1988 Chev truck that he bought new, drove year round, and worked hard. The bottom of his truck was as clean as day one off the lot. His secret was WD40 about 4 times a year on all exposed metal and any rust prone areas. To do the truck he would use about a half gallon. Spring, summer, fall and if he could get it in the garage over the winter then one more time. Come spring he would just give it a good hose off.

I have since bought this truck from him and continued his method on it along with the rest of my fleet and can honestly say it is a much better method then annual rust proofing with oils, much cleaner and seemingly more effective.

Comment

I actually was gonna say that earlier to about the wd40. I had seen Stacey David mention this on a show years ago, and then on American restorations last year. That when u don't want steal to rust or before u go off roading and don't want the mud to stick, u coat the whole undercarriage with it as it will just slide off. That's y when u get say new rotors there's the coat of grease that u have to clean off with brake cleaner. So as it leaves the factory and sit on the shelf waiting to b bought its not rusted away for the customer. However I would suggest more than 4 times a year at least.

Comment

I'll have to look around to see if there is a rustproofing company as Blueline has suggested. I haven't heard of anyone doing this locally, perhaps in a larger metropolitan area.

I have purchased the Karcher undercarriage unit. It works fine, but is not very durable perhaps why it's so inexpensive. Works well on a smooth flat surface to roll on and is height adjustable. Two rotating nozzles spray the underside of the car. Just hooks to the gun of the Karacher high pressure washer and has a long handle to roll it under the car. If you walk around the entire car, you can spray the whole underside easily.

It came with a bottle of chemical, that I have not used yet. There is a separate spray head and solution tank for chemicals that rolls under the car.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            David

Comment

Originally posted by wifpd4:543394
              I'll have to look around to see if there is a rustproofing company as Blueline has suggested. I haven't heard of anyone doing this locally, perhaps in a larger metropolitan area.

I have purchased the Karcher undercarriage unit. It works fine, but is not very durable perhaps why it's so inexpensive. Works well on a smooth flat surface to roll on and is height adjustable. Two rotating nozzles spray the underside of the car. Just hooks to the gun of the Karacher high pressure washer and has a long handle to roll it under the car. If you walk around the entire car, you can spray the whole underside easily.

It came with a bottle of chemical, that I have not used yet. There is a separate spray head and solution tank for chemicals that rolls under the car.
              Is there a way too adapt the chassis washer to a standard pressure washer instead of the Karcher? I've read reviews on the Karcher power washer and many owners are not very happy with the washers.

I do have a smooth blacktop driveway, so it should work fine from that perspective. I've got the unit in the basement but have not opened it from the shipping box. I may just break down and order the Karcher K5 series 2000 psi pressure washer and hope that it works good enough.
              Doing the best I can with what I've got.

Comment

Originally posted by larry0071 View Post
                Is there a way too adapt the chassis washer to a standard pressure washer instead of the Karcher? I've read reviews on the Karcher power washer and many owners are not very happy with the washers.

I do have a smooth blacktop driveway, so it should work fine from that perspective. I've got the unit in the basement but have not opened it from the shipping box. I may just break down and order the Karcher K5 series 2000 psi pressure washer and hope that it works good enough.
                I can't today, but I'll take a photo of the connection. You take the lance off of the gun and then put the gun on the handle of the undercarriage unit. Not sure it would be a universal connection, but maybe there is an adapter available.

The pressure of the Karcher seems lower than my previous no-name pressure washer, so yes 2000 psi would be a good choice. Especially using the under chassis unit. Give me a day or so and I'll photo the connection. It maybe on the Karacher website too?

I have tipped the washer over and broke the plastic adapter between the washer and the garden hose. I was using this gawd awful stiff garden hose and tugged on the gun hose and tipped over the washer and connection broke.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                David

Comment

I've now got the chassis washer (in the box as of yet) and the K5.740 2000 psi washer. Saturday I plan to get everything assembled and test it out. I'll let you know what I think.

I need to come up with a cleaner additive to use while doing the under vehicle wash. For now I'll use Zep Zep-O-Shine car wash with sealant.

Comment

Okay, I've got 2 cars, my new Cruze and my 10 year old Grand Prix. The Cruze is 1.5 years old. Both have been used all winter and have seen use in the snow and salt in the same area of Pittsburgh. I cleaned the Grand Prix with the chassis cleaner today and took pictures after it dried, and I took a picture of the new Cruze that has not been cleaned underneath.

Here is a video of the Karcher K5.740 and Chassis cleaner in use.

Comment

This is the 2012 Cruze that was not cleaned. Call this a typical newer car driven in this snow and salt.

And this is the 10 year old Grand Prix after using the Karcher Chassis cleaner. Amazing!

Comment

Larry,
                        Nicely done video and photos, thanks for sharing.

I've replaced the supply hose with one of those light weight collapsing hoses. Easier to move washer around with less stress on the connection.
                        I dislike the reel on the discharge hose, forever fighting loops in hose when hose stretch full out.

Undercarriage unit used all the time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        David

Comment

The KISS method. Bought one as it does a fairly good job till I can get to the Touchless carwash.
                          theunderwasher.com
                          Last edited by Markus Kleis; Mar 9, 2014, 03:49 PM. Reason: No hyperlinks before 30 posts

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');