• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supreme Shine towels NOT all the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Shine towels NOT all the same?

I'm confused and not happy with my latest purchase. I bought a 3 pack of Meguiar's Supreme Shine towels from the MEGUIAR'S site, which I LOVE. Not scratching, linting, just great. Been using them for over a month.

Then I found what I thought was a "better" deal than the Meg site and bought 12 more towels from Amazon and saved a few dollars. These Supreme Shine's appear the same, but the package says "Gold Class" Supreme Shine. Maybe they are an older style, or made somewhere different, but they lint like crazy. My car looks like garbage after a wipe down with UQD. They literally leave more lint than the dust I am trying to get off. I've washed them twice to try to reduce the lint, but they're the same. Did I buy some closeout model towels or what?

These are the difference in packages:

Meguiar's site towels:

Amazon towels:

Is this my punishment for trying to save a buck and shop around?
    2010 Camaro SS RS (black), "OBSSEST"

Re: Supreme Shine towels NOT all the same?

Originally posted by OBSSEST View Post
    I'm confused and not happy with my latest purchase. I bought a 3 pack of Meguiar's Supreme Shine towels from the MEGUIAR'S site, which I LOVE. Not scratching, linting, just great. Been using them for over a month.

Then I found what I thought was a "better" deal than the Meg site and bought 12 more towels from Amazon and saved a few dollars. These Supreme Shine's appear the same, but the package says "Gold Class" Supreme Shine. Maybe they are an older style, or made somewhere different, but they lint like crazy. My car looks like garbage after a wipe down with UQD. They literally leave more lint than the dust I am trying to get off. I've washed them twice to try to reduce the lint, but they're the same. Did I buy some closeout model towels or what?
    They can manufacture a fake Rolex so I guess it wouldn't be too hard to print up a knock off package and put it on some cheap MF towels. Just a possibility.

Comment

The first picture is the newer design/packaging of the towels. The only difference between those and the older ones (the second picture, which I have like 50 of), is no satin edge. That being said, the only towels I've ever had a linting problem with are the very cheap ones where there are what appear to be left over fibers still in them.

Comment

if you order the "gold class" ones from Amazon, they will send the newer packaged ones. they have not updated their item photo.
        NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Mine came from an independent online retailer, although I ordered them from Amazon. They had the "Gold Class" packaging as in the picture.

Comment

If you are not happy with them contact Meguiar's customer support. See what they can do for you.

Mike
            Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

Like Tyler stated, the difference is the newer version does not have the satin edge. I have not found a difference in the performance of the towel.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

I'm giving them another wash now to see if the lint is reduced. I just don't understand how one set has ZERO lint, and these ones are so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by OBSSEST View Post
                  Mine came from an independent online retailer, although I ordered them from Amazon. They had the "Gold Class" packaging as in the picture.
                  I was actually LOOKING for these Gold Class microfibers. I love them, much more than the newer ones. All the versions I bought from Amazon (and outside retailers) were the newer ones.

If you don't mind me asking, what vendor did you buy them from? (You can PM me if you don't want to put the name out there on MOL.)

Comment

They came from Detailing.com. Like I said, I ordered them from Amazon but on the detailing.com site directly they show the Gold Class photo for their supreme shine 1 pack and the newer photo for their 3 pack.

Comment

I have a similar issue but with foam applicator pads (w0004), I don't know why and people say they are the same foam pads, ok so be it, whatever you people say, but I can see and feel when I touch them they are different and in fact those pads will never ever touch my paint again, for tires, dash and trim dressing are ok.

Talking about Megs MFs I only have 5, and 2 of them came with clay and interior detail kits and the other ones are from a supreme shine pack (I remember they came with the old "gold class" label). I like all of them and they've worked fine. However from my previous experience with the foam pads I can't discard a inconsistency in productions or manufacture.

Comment

OBSSEST,

If these towels have the satin edging they are at least a few years old. Have you contacted detailing.com yet? We have no idea how they would have something that old as we have not been selling those for quite some time. Regardless, even when these were being sold we had very few reports of anything like you have described.

The 2 images of the microfibers you posted are the last two iterations of packaging. Keep in mind, packaging changes more often than the actual product formulations. Many times a packaging/label change does not mean the product was altered at all.

I sent you a PM.
                        Brian Hann
                        Manager - Meguiar's Solutions Hub
                        Meguiar's Inc.
                        Irvine, California
                        bhann@meguiars.com
                        (800) 854-8073 *3870

Comment

I washed them twice more and although the linting seems reduced, it is still significant and makes a wipe down with UQD on black paint look pretty bad. Funny thing is, I don't even know if I washed my first set of Supreme Shines before the first use and they never had ANY lint.

I'm going to try to exchange them to "detailing" but don't want to get more of the same. Meguiar's is going to help if not (Thanks Brian). I've attached a pic of these towels on top of one I've had for a few months. The edge seems the same to me on both. I don't think either my old (bottom towel) or new (top towel) have satin edges but perhaps someone can tell from the pic. They both look and feel the same, but I can easily pluck tiny fibers from the top towel (Gold Class packaging) with my fingers.

Comment

No, those do not have the satin edges....so they are not the Gold Class ones (unless some Gold Class towels were sold without satin edges)?

Comment

They look awfully thin. I still like my counterfeit theory. BTW, doesn't mean the seller did it.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');