• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEED HELP: Degreaser Left White Stain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED HELP: Degreaser Left White Stain

Need some help guys...a good friend of mine came to me today showing me his detail under the hood..its a 2001 Eclipse GS 4 cylinder...he used a product called "Super Clean" straight out of the container...no dilution with water..and on a hot engine...the degreaser cleaned all the gunk, but dried completely white on aluminum parts...the worst parts are the head, valve cover, and the intake piping...i didnt know what to tackle at this situation...i was thinking to tackle it with an aluminum polish but polishing up the head, with all those knicks and krannies is next to impossible...wwhat would you guys suggest ?
    Addicted

Re: NEED HELP: Degreaser Left White Stain

Try to wash it again with a good apc cleaner. Let it sit for 5 min then rinse really good. Maybe even scrub a little with a brush. Let dry , then spray with some Meguiars hyper dressing or something like it.
    Should remove & restore a good looking engine bay.
    Hope this helps Jim

Comment

Originally posted by hot rod View Post
      Try to wash it again with a good apc cleaner. Let it sit for 5 min then rinse really good. Maybe even scrub a little with a brush. Let dry , then spray with some Meguiars hyper dressing or something like it.
      Should remove & restore a good looking engine bay.
      Hope this helps Jim

i do have super degreaser...should i try that ? the stains are only on metal, so can i spray hyper dressing onto metal ?
      Addicted

Comment

Originally posted by speed3blackmica View Post
        i do have super degreaser...should i try that ? the stains are only on metal, so can i spray hyper dressing onto metal ?
        I wouldnt try Super Degreaser, try soap and water first, maybe even APC at 10:1.
        Nick
        Tucker's Detailing Services
        815-954-0773
        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Yes you can spray herper dressing on metal. I use it all the time,it will make the metal look nice & clean.
          Jim

Comment

Degreaser is acidic, and APC is basic... so I think hot rod was suggesting using the opposite chemical to see if it reverses the etching.

Sadly, if the metal is not polish-able you may have to live with some of it, but it should be possible to at least reduce it.

Comment

thanks for the info everyone..i will try everyones ideas
              Addicted

Comment

Tell him to read directions on chemicals too.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
                  Tell him to read directions on chemicals too.

lol yeah i know, i wish he had came to me first, he used the chemical straight at full strentgh on a hot engine, it flash dried so fast..it did get all the gunk to rinse away, but left such a horrible white stain on all metal
                  Addicted

Comment

Well, it sounds like since it was used at too strong a ratio, it stained the aluminum in the same way that Wheel Brightener does to [raw] aluminum. To fix it, if it is the same type of damage as above, there will be a lot of polishing involved if that is possible on those parts.

Comment

i will try and take some pictures the next time he comes over my house
                      Addicted

Comment

This time, make sure the engine is cool

I think a second cleaning with APC just may remove most, if not all the stains left by the Super Clean. I think over time, & several washings, the discoloration just may eventually dissipate.

Comment

Originally posted by Fly Bye View Post

This time, make sure the engine is cool

I think a second cleaning with APC just may remove most, if not all the stains left by the Super Clean. I think over time, & several washings, the discoloration just may eventually dissipate.

lol i know to make sure the engine is cool...unfortunatly my friend did not...i told him next time if he wants to detail under the hood to just come by my house and id take care of it for him lol oh well..im going to try APC maybe today or tomorow whenever i see him
                          Addicted

Comment

A hot engine wouldn't help, obviously, but if the stuff was acidic being used full strength, it would have stained the aluminum anyways (again, WB and aluminum). There's a reason, in the directions on most things, they say test in an inconspicuous area first if you are unsure.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');