• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get rid of swirl marks on instrucment cluster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get rid of swirl marks on instrucment cluster?

What is the best way to get rid of swirl marks on an instrument cluster, I hit it with some fine grit sand paper. Now it's all foggy and I cant see jack. What;s the best way to fix this, what grit should I finish it off with?

Re: How to get rid of swirl marks on instrucment cluster?

I would try some Plast-X.

From Meguiar's Direct:
    This easy-to-use, rich gel formula quickly restores optical clarity to both rigid and flexible clear plastics. Cutting-edge advancements in Meguiar’s® exclusive Microscopic Diminishing Abrasive™ Technology (MDAT) remove light oxidation, chemical degradation, surface contamination, stains and light surface scratches with ease. Special highly water resistant polymers provide long lasting durable protection to keep your clear plastics clear and beautiful longer. We recommend applying PlastX with a High Tech Applicator Pad or Ultra Plush Super Terry and using an Ultra Plush Super Terry or Supreme Shine® Microfiber for the final wipe-off.
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Should have started with PlastX, not the sandpaper. Always start with the least aggressive method! I doubt you will be able to put enough pressure with PlastX on the plastic to get the sandpaper marks out without running the chance of snapping the plastic, but keep us posted....also, photos would help.
      NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

I am using plasticX but I need some fine grit sand paper to make it not so foggy looking. What sand paper should I should I finish with? I was thinking 2000 grit?

Comment

I purchased some meguiars 1500 grit and 2000 grit sand paper. hopefully that and plasticX will do the job.

Comment

if the plastX doesnt clean up the sanding marks, try some ultimate compound..ive found it works well on headlights so i couldnt see why it wont work on your cluster
            Addicted

Comment

I took a teryy towel to instead of a micro fiber towel and it was able to make it more clear. I'm sure I can get it looking clear with some 1500 grit, 2000 grit and plasticX.

Comment

Originally posted by lowkickqop View Post
                I am using plasticX but I need some fine grit sand paper to make it not so foggy looking. What sand paper should I should I finish with? I was thinking 2000 grit?
                I use 2000 grit on head lights,they look good.
                Some guys use 3000 as last grit,that would be better.

Comment

I suggest being VERY careful using ANY grit sandpaper on a gauge face. That type of plastic can be incredibly difficult to polish, and this removing sanding marks might prove impossible.

Furthermore, it's very hard to access the area to work...making it even more difficult.

Comment

I would suggest removing the cluster and taking the clear plastic face off to thoroughly restore this piece. Having this piece off and out of the car will not only make it easier to work on, but also create less of a mess on your dash and surrounding area. Then take it to the highest grit sandpaper like a 3000 grit to leave the least amount scratches possible. then u can try using the product mentioned above to remove the scratches, fogginess and swirls.
                    Good luck

Comment

It is not impossible to do that !
                      Look how i cleaned up an instrument cluster that was extremily damaged !

Click on the link !

Comment

What if any liquid cleaner did you wipe with? cluster faces can melt with some liquids.

Comment

Originally posted by geert dr View Post
                          It is not impossible to do that !
                          Look how i cleaned up an instrument cluster that was extremily damaged !

Click on the link !
                          http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/fo...cluster+repair
                          That is a great example of how it *can* be done, but it can be very complex and may require several products and tools for removal.

If the user isn't able to remove the gauges, using sandpaper will make it impossible to fix.

Comment

Here is another small example with light a polish from me...

Skoda Roomster

Comment

I'm happy to say I used some 1500 grit, some plasticX and and a terry towel and most the the swirls are gone.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');