• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washing MF towels by hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing MF towels by hand

I've always washed my MF towel in the washing machine with Tide Free liquid and they have come out very clean. I also wash my DA pads in the sink with Tide Free. I find that Tide Free works better then some of those specialized cleaners.

Recently I mixed up a bucket of water and Tide Free and hand washed about 20 MF towels. I must say, they came out much cleaner then when they were washed in the washing machine. I did scrub a few soiled spots by rubbing the towel against themselves but for the most part I just dunked, agitated and squeezed them in the water. i washed my good towels first with little scrubbing and then washed my "rag" MF towels last.

I then mixed up some vinegar and water and rinsed them.

Given the results of washing them this way I will do this from now on. I found that they were much more clean then when I did them in the washing machine. Granted, this is not for everyone as I know many people wash a lot of towels each and every day but for me, it was worth the extra time.

Re: Washing MF towels by hand

Also wash the MFs by hand,read somewhere that only liquid detergent should be used.
    Warm water helps getting them clean also soaking overnight.

Comment

If hand washing in a bucket does a better job than your washing machine, maybe you need a different washing machine.

Seriously, that is very surprising to me, but if it works for you.....
      Charles
      The Rainmaker

Comment

I wash by hand as well, been using dish detergent recently and that works just as well as laundry detergent.

Comment

Originally posted by noobhax0r View Post
          I wash by hand as well, been using dish detergent recently and that works just as well as laundry detergent.
          Only problem with dish washing detergent is that it can leave residue on the towels. Perfumes, dyes, even some lotion. Of course this depends on the brand and type. Tide Free is recommended a lot as it's... well, free of these things.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesW View Post
            If hand washing in a bucket does a better job than your washing machine, maybe you need a different washing machine.

Seriously, that is very surprising to me, but if it works for you.....
            My washing machine does a good job. But think about how the washer works.... it basically moves the towel around in the water. When washing by hand I'm squeezing the water and and out of the towel with some force. For the dirty ones I'm also rubbing them together slightly. Much more then just swirling them around some water. It seems to make a big difference.

Comment

Worth a try. Thanks for sharing your results with us.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');