• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove rain-x from windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to remove rain-x from windshield

Clay is your friend. It works as well on glass as it does on paint.
    Jim
    My Gallery

Comment

ive clayed the windsheild..damn rain-x treatment is still there.
      Addicted

Comment

You can just try SwirlX, or UC on the glass as well.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I'm confused...it this just regular Rain-X you are talking about? My only gripe with Rain-X is that it doesn't last long enough! Maybe you have some heavy "road film" built up on there. Before I would try something as harsh as paint thinner I would give distilled white vinegar a try. It also helps to reduce water spots. Then try the clay again...that should do it. If that doesn't work I doubt it that its Rain-X on there.

Good luck.
          Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

Yeah, I dont think paint thinner is needed....
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

i am talking about the rain-x treatment..the liquid in the yellow bottle..not the glass cleaner..the glass treatment which makes the windshield water repelent. i contaced rain-x and they said to use a product called soap scrub or bon ami on the windsheidl..i went over to wallgreens and picked up some soap scrub it was about 4 bucks..its a thick liquid and you scrub it on to the windshield..very thick so it doesnt run off onto your paint..then you rinse it off and wipe it good..it worked !!
              Addicted

Comment

I don't know about the effect of paint thinner (mineral spirits) on RainX, but I can reassure you that paint thinner aka mineral spirits (but please..... do not confuse paint thinner with Lacquer thinner), painters naphtha or as it's known in Canada as white gas aka Coleman fuel and turpentine are all fine on car finishes... They WILL strip wax, tar and the like in a heartbeat, but won't harm your paint.... just don't try it on that coat of latex paint on your house!!! Things to stay away from are lacquer thinners, acetone, contact cement thinners, Xylene and other like kind, volatile organic compounds. As an example regarding painters naphtha.... that's the solvent used in the Collinite range of paste/liquid waxes!

Of course the old saying... "Test in an inconspicuous area first" is always sound advice when using anything you are not dead sure about.

Regards

Christian

Ahhh... I see you solved your problem...... never mind.

Comment

I see that you solved your problem but thought I would answer you question as to what I was talking about.
                  -Kyle

Comment

I have used paint thinner to remove that ghastly Rain-X stuff without any ill effects to the paint. Just put a little on a sponge and wipe the stuff off followed up with a soapy rinse to get rid of any thinner residue. I have used paint thinner to remove road tar on my paint and again no ill effects. Just had to rewax the area again after.

Comment

I have the answer, if anyone is still looking. You can remove Rain-X and its residue without resorting to lighter fluid, gas, battery acid, abrasives, steel wool, etc.

Look for Amtex CCR. It's made by Amtex Chemical of West Chester, PA. CCR is a silicone remover, which is appropriate, since Rain-X is silicone based. Wet the window with CCR. I wet a paper towel, and use the towel to wet down the glass. Avoid gaskets and such, which may or may not contain (or be based on) silicone. Let it sit for a minute or so. Wipe the window with fresh paper towels until it is all dry. Then follow up with your favorite glass cleaner. I would change the wiper blades too, for good measure.

I've done this a couple times now, and it works great. There are no abrasives or harsh chemicals involved, and unlike the application of Rain-X, removal takes very little effort.

-Mark

Comment

I would try glass cleaner -> claybar -> IPA wipe down, in that order. If its still not gone (how do you know?) then perhaps there is more to your problem than it seems. I'm with 1AB JAG above, Rain-X just doesn't last that long for me!
                        2011 F150 5.0L 4x4

Comment

I could be wrong, but you said you bought a brand new car? If its actually brand spanking new, are you sure it has Rain-x on it? Brand new glass will bead up rather well, a lot like glass with Rain-x on it. Just something to ponder.

Comment

Spray some un diluted Purple Power across the glass multiple times in the sun followed by a Dawn wash. This should remove it.
                            Nick
                            Tucker's Detailing Services
                            815-954-0773
                            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');