• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Time w/ ScratchX 2.0- Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Time w/ ScratchX 2.0- Questions

So I used this product for the first time yesterday to take care of a few scratches on my car.

I must say I am quite pleased with the results. Sorry I didn't get any before/after pics. I did manage to completely remove one scratch from my rear passenger door. It's gone with no trace. Then on my hood, there were a couple ugly scratches I knew I couldn't remove, but I did manage to get them from HEY YA'LL LOOK AT ME, I'M A BIG UGLY SCRATCH to psst...if you know where to look you can find traces of a scratch here....

Any way, my question is what kind of post surface care should I employ? I did a full 2 coat wax job on the car a month ago and did a coat of UQW last week when I washed. Seems to me like since this product will essentially remove paint, it would also get the wax off that spot. Do I QD and QW the door or is there something else I should do?

Re: 1st Time w/ ScratchX 2.0- Questions

scratchx removes the wax the protection you have on the car, so after applying a paint cleaner like scratchx you should re-wax, nxt2.0 is a great choice, i love it, 2 coats 12-24hrs apart, also before you apply and paint cleaner you should clay.

Comment

Anytime you use a product such as Scratch-x, you need to re wax the area.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

I figured as much, but wanted to make sure if there was something else I should do. I think I'll probably end up just washing the whole thing again and re waxing the areas that got treated.

To my dissapointment, the scratches seem to have reappeared over night. I'm wondering what's going on there. Obviously I didn't completely remove them. I used a cotton terry towel as my applicator and rubbed vigorously over the area that neeed to be treated. After a few minutes of rubbing, I would wipe away what ever product was there and inspect the area. If it looked good, I moved on to other scratches. If not, I applied a little more and re worked the area.

The scratch on the door that origianlly came all the way out passed the fingernail test, so I assume with the right steps it should come out. The big ugly ones on the hood didn't so my hope there was simply to diminish them, which I had. They too are now back to the same state they were before treatment.

Did I do something wrong in the process or does this sometimes take multiple applications for permanant results?

On the plus side, the blemishes I removed from the hatch are still gone, so it wasn't a total loss . I'd REALLY like to have the other ones gone or diminished as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by William_F View Post
          I figured as much, but wanted to make sure if there was something else I should do. I think I'll probably end up just washing the whole thing again and re waxing the areas that got treated.

To my dissapointment, the scratches seem to have reappeared over night. I'm wondering what's going on there. Obviously I didn't completely remove them. I used a cotton terry towel as my applicator and rubbed vigorously over the area that neeed to be treated. After a few minutes of rubbing, I would wipe away what ever product was there and inspect the area. If it looked good, I moved on to other scratches. If not, I applied a little more and re worked the area.

The scratch on the door that origianlly came all the way out passed the fingernail test, so I assume with the right steps it should come out. The big ugly ones on the hood didn't so my hope there was simply to diminish them, which I had. They too are now back to the same state they were before treatment.

Did I do something wrong in the process or does this sometimes take multiple applications for permanant results?

On the plus side, the blemishes I removed from the hatch are still gone, so it wasn't a total loss . I'd REALLY like to have the other ones gone or diminished as much as possible.
          Here is a link that should help you by explaining the proper ScratchX application methods etc...

The Definitive ScratchX Thread Collection

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

So, I've gone back and reapplied the product 2-3 more times. It has improved the appearance with each application, but the scratches still linger.

Now, from what I've read, this means it's time to move up to a more aggessive product like UC, right?

I understand that a DA is more effective/efficient than hand application. I do not have one at this time, but anticipate getting one in the next couple months. Would the SX with a DA be different enough result or would it be best to move on to a hand application of UC?

The scratches are driving me nutty at this point, but I can wait a while to deal with them if using the DA is going to likely make a substantial difference.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');