• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UQW vs. NXT Tech Wax Spray Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UQW vs. NXT Tech Wax Spray Revisited

I know there have been posts about these two spray products and that there is an overwhelming preference for the UQW among posters. I wanted to present a different experience.

I have a car that is garaged and driven very little and I generally "California dust" it and clean it with UQD when putting it away. I have also used UQW after the UQD every fourth or fifth time and this regimen has prevented my having to do any claying, paint cleaning or conventional waxing for the past six months.

I had a bottle of NXT spray in the garage and I used it about a month ago on my everyday, parked-outside car. I was surprised by both the good appearance of the surface, the apparent thickness of the coating (compared to UQW) and the durability. It also leaves a slicker, waxier feel than the UQW.

So I tried it on the right half of my garage queen and continued using UQW on the left side of the car. I am very impressed with the NXT spray. I find the surface a very tiny bit less glossy than the UQW, but it has a much deeper color on this black car. It is more natural looking and gives the paint an appearance of body that it does not have with the UQW. The NXT also gives a perfectly even, streak-free surface. (Even used very sparingly, the UQW always shows some uneveness of surface in my experience.) In comparison, the UQW side looks very shiny, but not waxed. The NXT side almost looks like it has a coat of carnauba on it--that's what I mean by "body."

The two products are slightly different in use. The UQW can be used in the sun and on black plastic trim and glass and is a mist and wipe product. The NXT spray is a mist-let haze-wipe product and has to be kept off black, porous trim much like a conventional wax. I spray it on the microfiber pad in smaller areas to keep it off the trim, glass, etc. After hazing, which is very fast, the wipe off is extremely easy. I don't find the NXT more difficult or time consuming to use and it doesn't require the extremely careful application of UQW to reduce streaking. Applied with a microfiber pad, the NXT also seems to provide some cleaning if the appearance of the pad is worth anything. The UQW doesn't provide any cleaning effect at all in my experience.

If you don't mind the different application techniques and the not-on-everything limitation of the NXT, I suggest you try it. For the way I take care of the car I am finding it a much better choice than the UQW. It is better looking to me and it appears to be more durable.

The UQD, on the other hand, I'd hate to give up.

Re: UQW vs. NXT Tech Wax Spray Revisited

Agree. I have both, left the NXT Spray alone after trying the UQW this summer. Happy with that but decided to try the NXT this weekend after applying two coats of NXT paste last weekend in prep for the upcoming winter. Absolutely happy with the results!
    Used the method described by Mike Phillips (with MF moistened with NXT Tech Wax Spray, let it haze, and buff based on application travel) and it turned out great, esp the day after (let cure in garage overnight). Very easy to remove with MF after hazing.
    Both are great products. Want to try NXT Tech wax with UQW combination next weekend and see the results.

Comment

I too am unhappy with the results of UQW on my black car - the streakiness and blotchiness is just too much for me to deal with, so UQW has been retired to my silver car. I suppose I could try NXT Spray now with your recommendation, but I don't really feel the NEED to use a spray wax as an extra step. I'm glad you took the time to post this though, as it gives another option.
      If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to record the event, how can you be certain that there was a tree or even a forest to begin with?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin A View Post
        I too am unhappy with the results of UQW on my black car - the streakiness and blotchiness is just too much for me to deal with, so UQW has been retired to my silver car. I suppose I could try NXT Spray now with your recommendation, but I don't really feel the NEED to use a spray wax as an extra step. I'm glad you took the time to post this though, as it gives another option.
        Justin -
        At this point, I'm using the UQD and spray wax as a substitute for reclaying, polishing and rewaxing the car. In six months, the surface is still completely smooth and perfectly waxed. So I'm trying to see how long this can extend one full detailing. I find this preventative approach much easier than a full corrective detail every two to three months. If the spray wax can prevent crud from adhering to the paint for two or three weeks, this makes it worthwhile to me.
        Wally

Comment

WWally/Justin: I dont' have black paint issues - red metallic. I would agree with everything that WWally indicated in his first post. The NXT just feels and looks like it has more protection than the UQW.

In some prior posts, members seemed to dismiss the NXT as inferior and I delayed using it since I also had the UQW. After using it this weekend, I was surprised. Instead of just gloss and shine, it feels like something of substance in protection has been added - more so than with just the UQW. The latter seems to add only to appearance.

One of the criticisms of the NXT Sray Wax seemed to indicate that the water sheilding abilities of UQW were better. This didn't seem to make sense since the label "NXT" would seem to indicate otherwise. Regardless, I applied it after putting down two coats of NXT 2.0 so that factor wouldn't seem that important. That's why I want to try the NXY Spray Wax followed by the UQW. Seems like I could get the benefit of both in less time, more often, than a conventional wax/sealant routine.

Been raining like crazy here in STLouis since I applied the NXT Spray Way on Saturday and it appears to be workinig just fine.

At least that's my two cents worth. Both are good products...just trying to find the combination that works. At first blush, the paint definitely feels better protected with the NXT Spray product than the UQW.

Comment

Tony Z-

I've had the two sprays side by side on the same car for many months now. The car is garaged and I treat it with UQD regularly and a spray wax fairly regularly. But from the two rains we've had since I began this experiment (it doesn't rain in California during the summer), the NXT spray beads water just fine. As you say, it also feels more substantial than the UQW--when you touch the paint, it feels waxed. It also looks waxed, the "body" I talked about before. I think the idea the UQW beads water better is that it says so on the label--that it beads water "relentlessly." They don't mention this on the NXT label. Meguiar's marketing is very confusing and I think there are just too many products.

Wally

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');