• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rinseless TIRE/WHEEL Wash-experimenting: suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rinseless TIRE/WHEEL Wash-experimenting: suggestions?

This is what I tried out this morning on my tires/wheels. My SoCal condo = water restrictions. I need to figure how to clean with the minimum effort/time for an eventual detail.

88 Honda Civic.
    Tools:
    -One gal garden sprayer + 2 oz ONR (double strength)
    -Brush
    -APC 10:1
    -Terry towels (cheap)

1. Sprayed wheels/tires with ONR
    let dwell;
    agitated w. ONR'd brush

2 Sprayed APC
    let dwell;
    Agitated w. APC'd brush
    Rinsed w. ONR; wiped with ONR dampened Terry

3. Repeated for missed areas.

Sucked.

(Well......much better than a car-wash, but, not prepped for a cleaner or LSP.)
    Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
    by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Re: Rinseless TIRE/WHEEL Wash-experimenting: suggestions?

It's going to be tough to prep the wheels and tires using rinse less methods. I think that may be your best approach for now though.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

It's very likely you were dealing with a pretty bad wheel/tire combo to start with.
      My wheels are never that difficult to clean with just ONR left from cleaning the rest of the vehicle and a Meguiar's body brush.
      Tires are done with a competitors tire cleaner and a nylon brush.

I think the one thing I would have done differently was use the APC first to get the first layer off, then followed with the ONR.

The terry towels are what I use as well and if they get too cruddy, I just pitch them.
      Charles
      The Rainmaker

Comment

I do tires last with rinseless and use APC on wells and tires. I usually can just wipe the wheels (personal vehicles) since I wax them to keep brake/grime build up to a minimum. I have used a bit more water to rinse down the wells and wheels to remove the APC.
        Al
        ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

I dont know, I like to get the wheel, tire, and well extremly clean so I dont know how effective a rinseless method could possibly be.
          Nick
          Tucker's Detailing Services
          815-954-0773
          2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I haven't mastered the secret of wheel cleaning with ONR and prefer to use the hose for wheels and tires, when possible. But Scottwax has done a couple of videos that you may find useful:

Substitute Megs' APC for Optimum Power Clean.
            Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
            --Al Kimel

Comment

After watching all three of those videos, I have a strong urge to go and clean a set of wheels and tires.
              Nick
              Tucker's Detailing Services
              815-954-0773
              2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

The trick is to stay after them. I know it is not always practical especially on a customer's car. I have found quik Wheel Detailer does a very good job. You may have to go over them twice, but it does the job.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                  I dont know, I like to get the wheel, tire, and well extremly clean so I dont know how effective a rinseless method could possibly be.
                  After watching all three of those videos, I have a strong urge to go and clean a set of wheels and tires.
                  So......
                  Would you consider those wheels to be clean enough for you?

Rinseless washes aren't going to do the same job as easily as a hose and bucket wash on extremely dirty vehicles.
                  Hose and bucket washes won't do the same job as easily as a good pressure washer.
                  But, whatever method you use, the job can be done.
                  Charles
                  The Rainmaker

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesW View Post
                    So......
                    Would you consider those wheels to be clean enough for you?

Rinseless washes aren't going to do the same job as easily as a hose and bucket wash on extremely dirty vehicles.
                    Hose and bucket washes won't do the same job as easily as a good pressure washer.
                    But, whatever method you use, the job can be done.
                    I tried to add this, but the one minute rule seems to include typing as well as deciding to edit. (As said earlier, weird rule)

Anyway, I find the benefits of rinseless washing to far outweigh any negatives.
                    That may not be true for others.
                    Charles
                    The Rainmaker

Comment

I meant that my procedure sucked, NOT the products. I am going to try it again, keeping in mind the suggestions.

My friend abuses her car and the wheels were really bad. I figured if I could come up with an idea that would deal with grunge that bad, it would work on anything.

I will try the APC first, then rinse with the ONR...
                      by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Originally posted by Bunky View Post
                        ...I wax them to keep brake/grime build up to a minimum.
                        That's going to be on my list of ideas.
                        by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

I have a feeling that you have the experience to figure out a way if you had to. To put on an LSP, rinseless might not cut it. I may have to use a dedicated wheel cleaner instead of APC.
                          by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

As others have pointed out, really nasty wheels just don't bode well with a rinseless wash. Heck, getting REALLY neglected wheels clean is tough enough with a pressure washer and products at times.

But, for maintaining wheels I find either 10:1 APC+ or Meguiar's Quik Wheel Cleaner to be really fantastic. Quik Wheel Cleaner is really a seriously under rated product for doing quick and easy wheel cleaning. It is high in lubrication and has a fantastic amount of cleaning power for wiping away brake dust with ease.

Comment

I wish I'd seen the videos before I attempted this. I only diluted Megs APC 10:1,

Thanks for Scottwax Vids. I guess grunge means a good Megs wax. Or spray wax applied to a towel? Provided I keep up with a detailer.

You know, I am going to pick up some Qwik Wheel Cleaner and save the Megs APC for the Tires and wheel wells. I will get some Qwik Wheel detailer too.
                              by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');