• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bumper's color change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumper's color change

hi all,

i clayed the rear bumper, applied swirlx, polished and waxed. On the second morning i could clearly notice that the color of the bumper is different from the car's body.

Any explanation, remedy?

thanks,

Re: Bumper's color change

It is a very open question.
    Is this a single stage or clear coated?
    Has it been repainted?
    Bumpers are known to carry on a different shade due to the material it is made of and how the paint absorbs. My car has a darker shade on the bumper than the rest of the car, and it is like this new.

Comment

Yeah, going to have to define "different"?

Why not do the rest of the car?
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Could it be that the bumper now looks way nicer than the rest of the car?

Now seriously, was it replaced or repainted recently? Was it in an accident? Maybe the bumper is single stage and the rest of the car clear coated? Even then, the color should not look THAT different, but you should feel it on the surface, like mine, my bumper's texture feels different from the rest of the car, but color looks pretty much the same, before or after detailing. Some pictures could help.

Good luck!

Comment

Are you sure you aren't just noticing it now since everything is all cleaned up and you were looking with a discerning eye?

I ask in seriousness because it is actually quite common on newer cars with plastic (painted) bumpers to not match the body of the car- sometimes by a few shades.

A good example is my buddy's 2008 Accord in Pearl White - the bumpers are a good 2-3 shades away, and look more yellow. They came this way from Honda on day 1.

He didn't notice it either until I detailed his car and he was looking closely. It stems from the different painting processes used for different parts of the car unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
            A good example is my buddy's 2008 Accord in Pearl White - the bumpers are a good 2-3 shades away, and look more yellow. They came this way from Honda on day 1.
            On new cars, white colored I've notice this as well.

Other time this happens when the bumper has been repainted.

Comment

It's really quite common.
              I was told once by a painter that the flex agent added to the paint used on the bumpers was a contributing factor.
              Charles
              The Rainmaker

Comment

Another fact is that most bumpers are painted at a different plant than where the vehicle is and at different times and different paint mfg,

There are some colors that have up to 10 variants to them that is why painters drink.

A Variant is when the paint mfg has documented a difference in the color and shading of the orig paint code. You will see

lighter,darker,redder,bluer and so on

and so on depending on color and tints in that color
                and paint does act different on different materials

Comment

Originally posted by SHYNEMAN123 View Post
                  Another fact is that most bumpers are painted at a different plant than where the vehicle is and at different times and different paint mfg,

There are some colors that have up to 10 variants to them that is why painters drink.

A Variant is when the paint mfg has documented a difference in the color and shading of the orig paint code. You will see

lighter,darker,redder,bluer and so on

and so on depending on color and tints in that color
                  and paint does act different on different materials
                  hi,

thanks for all you replies, the color of the bumper and car matched prior to the polishing and waxing i did few days ago. i didn't polish the part where the plate is mounted. So now you can see clearly the difference between the plate area and the rest of the bumper and car body.
                  As if the white color is bit blueish.

Do you think if i polish again it will help clean up the blueish tint?

thanks.

Comment

So the white where you cleaned/polished/waxed looks blueish?

The area you did not touch looks clean/dirty, but more white? And then this matches the rest of the car?

Comment

Originally posted by nnjeim View Post
                      hi,

thanks for all you replies, the color of the bumper and car matched prior to the polishing and waxing i did few days ago. i didn't polish the part where the plate is mounted. So now you can see clearly the difference between the plate area and the rest of the bumper and car body.

thanks.
                      What is the YR, Make, Model and color of your car and are you the orig owner ? And how did you apply the products ?

Comment

hi,

thanks.
                        When the guy at the body shop told me about his opinion on the flex agents added to the plastic paint, we were discussing the color change on a red Pontiac Trans-AM we had.
                        The plastic parts were actually sort of pinkish purple rather than true red like the rest of the vehicle.
                        I think your problem is probably sun damage and the area behind the license plate didn't get the sun and didn't get the damage.
                        It's hard for me to accept that polishing actually changed the color of the paint.
                        Try using a paint cleaner in a very small area and see if it makes any difference. If it helps, then do the remainder.
                        Could you have single stage paint and have the primer showing through?
                        Unlikely, but so is blue tinted paint.
                        A real bummer for you no matter what.
                        Charles
                        The Rainmaker

Comment

Originally posted by SHYNEMAN123 View Post
                          What is the YR, Make, Model and color of your car and are you the orig owner ? And how did you apply the products ?
                          the car is a VW Scirocco 2009, white color. i clayed the bumper after washing it. Applied swirlx then polished and waxed. At last i applied QD. the only part of the bumper that i didn't treat was the cavity where the plate is mounted. now you can see clearly that the mentioned area and the rest of the bumper are different in color.

Comment

After doing a full detail, it is not strange for the paint to look different.

It would **** to do a full detail, and have everything look the same.

I believe the answer is that the rest of the car needs detailed also.

Lessons from White Paint

Comment

...the only part of the bumper that i didn't treat was the cavity where the plate is mounted. now you can see clearly that the mentioned area and the rest of the bumper are different in color.
                              I noticed the same thing on my car. But, I always thought the color difference was because the cavity is shielded when the sun is directly overhead. Hence less UV damage?
                              Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
                              by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');