• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detail or Paint Job...Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detail or Paint Job...Please Help

I recently purchased a white '95 Toyota Celica. I've wanted this car since it came out, and I finally found a rust free, Texas owned one of my dreams. Well kinda...

Mechanically, I've gotten everything to run and purr after replacing some dry rotted hoses and a leaking radiator, but I'm a bit confused as to how to solve my paint issue. The old Celicas were painted with a one step enamel, that much I know, so I know it's not a clear coat and base coat.

The car, when it came off the truck, was disgustingly dirty and oxidized. The grime almost seemed to be stuck were it was as it wouldn't rub away with a wet finger... not in the slightest.

I decided to get it detailed on the outside to solve this problem. The place I got it detailed from only charge me 50 bucks, which.. honestly sounded too good to be true, but when the car was done, it looked extremely clean and shiny.

Now, only about 4 days later, old problem spots are starting to come back. A couple spots on the roof, the front bumper, and door handles are looking dirty. I went to an auto body place and they said they could get off the oxidation for $200. They said the oxidation, as long as I wax the car once or twice a year, would last about 5 years. My close friend though who used to paint cars, says with the car being the way it is, it would be easier just to repaint it as it would aleve any future head aches.

I'm not experienced at all when it comes to paint, so I thought I'd ask here. What should I do? Is it true a good detail job will permanently (well.. 5 years or so) get rid of oxidation? Was my first detail just some con artist who didn't know what he was doing, but this one should be ok? Or should I just get the car sanded down, primed, and painted by my friend?

Sorry about the long post, but I look forward to anyone's help in the matter. It's been bothering me more than you know since I got the car, and I'm just lost as to which way I should take this...

Thanks.

Re: Detail or Paint Job...Please Help

Going to need some good pics to help with this one.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Yep, pics are a necessity in this case. The more the better, too.

Colin
      A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Alright, I'll take some tonight and post some tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Here are some pics.. the best I could take before having to run into work.

The first three show the overall car, a close up of the door handle and the grime that's attaching to the oxidized paint (yes, those marks are from recently removed pinstripping), and the overall door itself. I'll try to take a picture of the front bumper as it's actually worse, but this is all I had time for.

The last picture I took when I first got the car. The dirt had literally attached itself to the paint, wouldn't come off unless with a buffer, and looked like this..

Thanks for the help in advance:

Comment

It can certainly be cleaned up a great deal. I would go down that road. What do you have at your disposal and what can you use?

I don't see anything really bad that can't be taken care of.

Comment

Try some Ultimate Compound. I think it just might amaze you.
              Shane
              1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Looks to me like it's a very oily, kind of waxy, dirt or scum.

It appears your "detailer" just covered over the mess without getting the paint clean. I'd also say, at $50, you got exactly what you paid for.

I'd pick a small area and try a number of different soaps/solvents to see what will remove the junk. You might need a citrus based cleaner, maybe mineral spirits, or just plain strong dish soap might work just fine. You can scrub away (within reason) since you'll end up with some paint correction anyway.

Once the dirt/mess is gone, then address the paint with the appropriate polish. Probably M105 but you've probably heard the drill of start with the least aggressive product first, etc.

Paint looks oxidized. Especially the left side shot where it looks like waxed over oxidized paint. I bet you could get that looking great with a little polishing work.

You have a luxury that you are "willing to paint". If so, what's the harm in trying anything and everything. Worst thing that happens is you screw up the finish so bad you will have to what? paint !

I don't think you'll need to paint. However, you will need to spend some hours cleaning and polishing but that's the fun and sense of accomplishment.

I'm looking forward to the show off photo's when you are done.

BTW - for the same three hundred bucks someone would charge, you can own all the equipment (buffer, pads, etc...) and do it yourself now and in the future.

Comment

Before dishing out the big bucks on a paint job, I would difinitely try to correct the paint. Remember the paint has to be clean and look like your done then you add a coat of wax or sealant in order for that deep shine.
                  Ultimate Compound sound like a good choice, but it looks like it could be a lot of work by hand. I would start asking people who they would recommend and I am sure you will find somebody good at a reasonable price OR like JEFF U suggest now seems like a good time to be bitten by the Detailing Bug!.
                  Good luck with your car.

Comment

Nothing there looks unfix-able, esp if it is single stage paint. As long as that one pic isn't a pinkish primer showing through. And if you are willing to put in some work by hand, etc. Always fun to take care of things yourself.

Here is what I would do.... Note it is a little out of order.

1. Wash - Generally speaking, you would want to use a quality car wash soap like Gold Class, 2 buckets, etc. I'll link a video below. However, as was mentioned you may need to break out some Dawn on those areas behind the wheels, etc. I'd probably spray some Bug and Tar Remover on first, let it sit for a few minutes, then wash the car.

2. Clean - Test Spots - Pick up a bottle of SwirlX, Ultimate Compound and some smooth foam applicators. The SwirlX is milder, so start with it. Do a test spot on a trouble area, work the product in well, similar to the ScratchX video below. If not much improvement, then try the UC. One of those should fix things up a bit. You may also find that if you use UC, it may need followed up with SwirlX. But just do a test spot/area to see if it can be fixed and what works. If yes it works, then proceed to step 3.

3. Clay - Pick up a Smooth Surface Clay Kit, and an extra bottle of Quick Detailer. Clay the paint and glass. I like to cut the cars in half, just incase I drop one, I don't waste as much. Or work over some paper. Might need a good bit of clay, but oh well.

4. Clean - Now use whatever products worked to clean the entire car. Don't rush, it might take a panel or two a day, since working by hand *****.

5. Polish - Being single stage paint, using a pure polish will definitely be good every so often. Deep Crystal Polish is good and easy to use.

6. Wax - Nxt 2.0 is tough to beat.

7. Wax - 2 thin coats are best.

Hopefully that gets is all good, and then you just have to do wheels, tires, glass, interior, Ultimate Quick Wax after future washes, etc.....
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I also think it is fixable. Follow Murr's suggestions. You will be amazed at what you can accomplish on your own.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Or if you really want to safe some time and get a brilliant result, you could always hire a MOL member to detail your car, and then you would be easier off maintaining to keep the shine and reflection that your car is missing...

Or even better, buy a DA package and hire a MOL member, and you can detail it together while learning how to take care of your car :]
                        Ganesa,
                        Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

I'll see what I can do then before stripping it down to repaint it if neccessary. Btw, the paint is NOT a base and clear, it's a single stage enamel. Some sixth gen Celicas had base and clear, some didn't.. I think it had to do with what color you bought.

Hopefully I can get this looking fine. If not, she needs a couple dents to get worked out, which I need to fill in, so painting wouldn't be the end of the world.

For the same price as getting it detailed, plus buying all the equipment I need to do my own detailing in the future, I can buy paint and have my co-worker's brother paint it. So is it still worth trying to salvage single stage oxidizing paint for the price difference?

Comment

I can spot a repaint *every single time*. I am sure most of you who visit this forum can. I can never pin point what specifically trips me off. The car jumps at me and screams "I have been repainted!" :-)

You are always better off if you can salvage factory paint rather than repaint it. That statement is absolutely true if you are not paying mega mega bucks for a concours (sp?) paint job. Also remember spraying paint is only 10% of the labor needed for a good paint job. The 90% is in the preparation for laying paint. Suffices to say that repaint preparation will be significantly more labor intensive than a good detail job.

- Vikas

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');