• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Infiniti FX35 Hood - Glowing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Infiniti FX35 Hood - Glowing!

This is only the 4th car I've attempted any paint correction on. I didn't take any before pics, but it was very neglected. Pretty severe scratches and swirls, and hardly ever waxed. The results are not 100% perfect, but what an improvement! The contours of this car reflect very nicely.

I used Ultimate Compound on a Lake Country Orange CCS pad on a Porter Cable. Two applications, three passes each. Then I used #7 Show Car Glaze Pure Polish with an LC Green CCS pad, and topped it off with Gold Class wax with an LC blue CCS pad, and wiped off dust later in the day with a microfiber with Gold Class detailer.

I'm actually not perfectly satisfied with the Ultimate Compound. While it works wonders to improve the color and reflectivity of the paint and remove scratches and swirls with minimal effort, the finish it leaves has a very very fine ripple under the right light to a trained eye, that is not there before buffing. This could just be this particular car's reaction to these products and methods, I don't know. I can best describe it as the reflection being slightly out of focus. I think SwirlX leaves a better/finer finish, but takes a lot longer to work in.

Anyhow, at sunset, the car absolutely GLOWS! Tell me what you think. My camera ISO setting and resizing induced a small amount of grain into the photo (sorry).

Re: Black Infiniti FX35 Hood - Glowing!

nice results, the black color looks deep and wet...

While it works wonders to improve the color and reflectivity of the paint and remove scratches and swirls with minimal effort, the finish it leaves has a very very fine ripple under the right light to a trained eye, that is not there before buffing.
    I think its a good idea to follow-up such a aggresive product like M105 or UC with something less aggresive.. :]
    Ganesa,
    Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

As mentioned, you would need to use a less aggressive cleaner polish with a less aggressive pad. You may get away without this step on a silver or white car, but not on a black car.

Typically, I would do two passes with SwirlX with a polishing pad immediately after the use of Ultimate Compound.

Coincidentally, a few weeks ago I also used Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound (#105) with a LC Orange pad using the Porter Cable on my silver Infiniti G35. Because I was too busy with my other cars that needed immediate attention, I left the G35 without any polish, sealant, or wax. The car is now swirled up like crazy due to the heavy buffing!!!

In contrast, though, Ultimate Compound finishes very nicely compared to #105.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganesa View Post
        nice results, the black color looks deep and wet...

I think its a good idea to follow-up such a aggresive product like M105 or UC with something less aggresive.. :]
        Thanks for the feedback. I agree I probably should have hit it with something less aggressive after the UC, and before the #7. But so far, my product collection is rather small. What would you recommend for next time (the rest of the car)? Would SwirlX do it, or would 205 be a better choice?

Comment

SwirlX will be just fine.

Comment

good effort always pay off well
            it only takes a little patience and plenty of PASSION!!

detailing blog

http://thedetailers.blogspot.com

Comment

The Infiniti looks great. Good work.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');