• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My M16 Paste Wax Finally Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My M16 Paste Wax Finally Arrived

+1. I've compared it with a can sourced from our local suppliers and a can sourced from the aforementioned seller, and both has the same results - beading, sheeting, darkening, etc. Almost no difference.

Learning new things everyday

Comment

Guy...reawakening this thread. Just received a can of M16 in the same pudding-like-consistency just like some of the batch described here.

Now based on the pros and cons here, I haven't tried to reheat the can, just wrap it tightly (in order to keep all the solvent, water, liquid or whatsoever tightly inside the can) and let it sit in the fridge for a day or two. Result: jelly-like consistency, but it melted back to its original state after a couple of hours. Tried to apply it on the top most layer but I think all i got is the oil/solvent, because the application is very oily and white residue leftover is less than what a paste wax should be.

Now my questions:
      1. Does the application of M16 should be oily or not? I'm worried that if I keep doing it like this I'll used up all the solvent/oil and just left me with a hard wax that will be a pain to remove or even apply
      2. For those who tried the reboil method, does it keep its hardened state in long term? or does it loose its consistency in the bottom part of the wax? I live in the tropical area so humidity would be high but I always keep it in room temperature
      3. This is the part that kinda lost me in the reboiling method... chill it in fridge or freezer?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated... Thanks

Comment

Hi all. Just wanna report back on my experience with melted nxt 2.0 paste waxes. I bought a few cans from amazon and the cans came in pudding like consistency with clear liquids seeping. While the material is still applicable, the wax feels soggy on the pad and the overall experience is just awful. I mean I didn't spent 20 plus per can to get this soggy pudding wax.

Long story short, i ripped open our christmas gift from several years ago and out came a double boiler!! Yea...

I turned on the cooker and set the temperature to 200 degrees. added some water on the bottom tray, left the can open on the top tray, and let it heat up for about 5 minutes. As soon the the outer edge of the wax started to melt, I immedicately begin to mix the material in a circular motion.

With the cooker now fully heated up, i switched off the heat and continued to agitate the meterial. The wax melts completely in another 3 minutes. I let it sit in the cooker for a minute and then remove the can.

I used 2 different steps for the cooling stage. 1 of these cans I left it outside the yard and let the 65 degrees outside air cooled it off naturally. The other 2 cans I put them in the freezer for a good 15 minutes each.

Of the 1 outside the yard, the wax solidified really well back to its original pre-shipping form.

Of the 2 inside the freezer, both solidified really well initially. Yet once the cans returned back to regular room temperature, only one remained fully solid while the other turned a little pudding like with some liquid seepage.

I re-heated the last can using shorter cooking time with longer mixing period and then air dried. This time it came out perfect.

all in all i'm satisfied with the state of the waxes after the melt/ mix process. The paste is semi soft to the touch and remains solid.

The real test will begin later on this weekend when I have time to do a complete wax job on my car.

Cheers!

p.s. I also purchased a can of ultimate paste wax at the same time(gotta find ways to use up those reward points). This can did not seem affected at all by the 90 degree weather!

Comment

i mix with oven method m16 and policharger , it was like a soft paste but still good results on cars
          proreflection
          *Ceramic Coating * Protection Film * Car Wrap * Paint Correction

Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area

Comment

Which one returned to the 'soggy' state? Freezer or backyard?

Bill

Comment

Freezer. The paste is working fine now. But I would avoid ordering these paste waxes during summer time. The heat inside these cans must've reached pretty high to have melted the paste into such "pudding" state.

Comment

This is all very interesting.

I have some cans of M16 for sale. In fact, up until now, the cans I have sold were purchased by me directly from Meguiar's via wholesale account. In all, maybe 85 cans were sold and shipped without a hitch.

Fast forward to about a month ago, I sent out a can to a guy (via US Postal Priority Mail). As usual, I opened the can to inspect the integrity of the wax. Wrapped it up, sent it out. The wax turned to mush! Not only that, but I sent along a free bottle of Deep Crystal Polish, and it exploded (busted the top of the bottle clean off).

So, I sent another can, this time took pics of the wax prior o shipping.
                I sent another bottle of deep Crystal Polish, too. This time the wax arrived fine, but the Deep Crystal exploded again!

I sent out two more orders of M16 wax, two can per order, took pics, and they arrived perfect-o.

Then I saw a new thread about a can of M16 being mushy... yup. It was a customer of mine.
                fortunately, I took a photo of the wax as proof of its condition, but did not e-mail it out, as I thought the mushy-wax thing was just a fluke of sitting in a box on a paddock or something. Then, I also wondered if pressurization/depressurization had any effect on the wax, or Deep Crystal Polish.

I think that I will plan on reheating the wax and letting it reset. It's not like there's smoke billowing out of the can or anything... I think I'll take pics of the process, and post them up on my site (to disclose the fact that the wax has been reset.

Interesting.
                Kevin Brown
                NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

After having issues with anew can of M16, I'd like to say a big thank you to Kevin Brown for contacting me and sorting the issue promptly.
                  I cannot recommend dealing with Kevin enough.

Comment

I just bought two cans and unfortunately they are very melted -- however, I am studying chemistry in school and a professor in the organic division (with a PhD from Harvard and a postdoc from Yale in polymer chemistry) is helping me figure out what the best way to re-solidify the wax is. I will let you know what we find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Detroit CC View Post
                      After having issues with anew can of M16, I'd like to say a big thank you to Kevin Brown for contacting me and sorting the issue promptly.
                      I cannot recommend dealing with Kevin enough.
                      Thanks! Now if I can just figure out how to get the wax to you in a solid form... I'll be reheating the wax and pouring it back into the tin using three separate pours.

Originally posted by ethereal45 View Post
                      I just bought two cans and unfortunately they are very melted -- however, I am studying chemistry in school and a professor in the organic division (with a PhD from Harvard and a postdoc from Yale in polymer chemistry) is helping me figure out what the best way to re-solidify the wax is. I will let you know what we find out.
                      Now HOW COOL IS THIS?!?!
                      Kevin Brown

Comment

Okay well solution #1, the "least aggressive approach" = find a way to stick the wax into a paint shaker, let it shake for 10 minutes to ensure it is a homogenous mixture. The wax may have to be heated *very minimally* before doing this. Ensure the tin is sealed and cool in a freezer.

Comment

Paste Wax fixed. Reset via liquifying and re-pouring.

I scooped the wax out of the tin and placed it in a glass bowl (a bowl larger than the tin). I wiped the tin completely clean, and waxed the outside of it. I used a spoon to scoop about 1/3rd of the wax into a small glass bowl that I had set into a pot of water. Put just enough water in the pot so that the glass bowl wouldn't float. Heated the salted water (below boiling) until the wax started to melt, mixed it with a wire whisk. Once it fully liquified (it takes on a purplish hue), I clamped the side of the bowl with a pair of tongs, and poured the wax into the tin. As it cooled I rolled the tin so the wax would distribute along the sides of the tin (hoping to better distribute the wax for better cooling), and let the rest set in the center. Did another pour the next morning, then another that night. Let the can sit open for 2 days, then closed it up and sent it out. Sure hope it arrives in good condition!

Kevin Brown

Comment

I think that is probably the best reasonable method that most people will be able to follow. I've been talking to my chem professor and doing some experimenting, but nothing is really going to dramatically differ in results from what Kevin is showing here. What I've been doing is heating small portions of wax under reflux (essentially heating in a round bottom flask with a condensor hooked up to the top, so you don't lose solvent to evaporation) then once the solution cools it tends to remain supersaturated and will begin to setup.

Again, essentially just a slightly fancier version of Kevins method.

Comment

Originally posted by ethereal45 View Post
                              I think that is probably the best reasonable method that most people will be able to follow. I've been talking to my chem professor and doing some experimenting, but nothing is really going to dramatically differ in results from what Kevin is showing here. What I've been doing is heating small portions of wax under reflux (essentially heating in a round bottom flask with a condensor hooked up to the top, so you don't lose solvent to evaporation) then once the solution cools it tends to remain supersaturated and will begin to setup.

Again, essentially just a slightly fancier version of Kevins method.

Oh, but it's got to look so much more impressive your way... I'm using an old pot and praying I don't drop the bowl of wax in the water as I lift it with the tongs..! Can't be all that safe, so continue to do your method. I would really enjoy pics of the set-up, too. Please thank your Professor on my behalf for helping you out.

Here is a couple shots of some M1914 Cleaner Wax I was able to bring back from the dead using the same process:

Kevin Brown

Comment

Hi to all members - old thread but....I just recived my can of M16.
                                Wax consistency is not "pudding like" as some users have few years ago but over the top there is some liquid and I just want to know what to do with this liquid on top - empy it from the can or stir all together.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');