• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My M16 Paste Wax Finally Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My M16 Paste Wax Finally Arrived

Originally posted by Andrew C. View Post
    So you let it sit for a couple days just untouched and then the fridge right? I think I'm going to follow your course of action col cash
    Correct, it's sitting on my counter right now. I'm expecting it to soften up a bit, but nothing like it was. Also, the ziplock bag seemed to help reduce the amount of condensation after leaving it in the fridge....I didn't do a scientific test to verify, but that was my impression. Plus, I didn't want my M16 to smell like Papa John's.

When I left mine in the fridge, I opened the can and set the top on the can, so it was still covered, just not totally sealed. I think the reason these tins are staying pudding like is because the top of the can causes a tight barrier. Again, that is just my hypothesis.
    NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

I set mine in the sun for an hour, then mixed it up with a stirring rod. A few hours after it was in much better condition. We'll see in a few days when I check on it again (it's in my closet on the shelf).
      -James
      2012 Chevy Silverado ECSB. Z71 4x4. 5.3

Comment

Let's face it fellows. Our waxes are defective. Hence, the low prices...

No amount of freezing, boiling, shaking, cursing, kicking is going to bring it back to its original state!!!

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
          Let's face it fellows. Our waxes are defective. Hence, the low prices...

No amount of freezing, boiling, shaking, cursing, kicking is going to bring it back to its original state!!!
          maybe she has so many tins because she asked for the defective ones from stores long time ago!

Comment

I put mine in the refrigerator for twelve hours earlier in the week and then let it sit for several days. I just opened it to see what it was like. No real change. The stuff is just soft. Not too soft but I can stick my finger into the wax and touch the bottom of the tin. It can no longer be considered a "hard" wax.

Invisible is right. Our tins of #16 are defective. I won't say we've been snookered, as I don't imagine the seller knew the condition of the wax, but we should have known the bargain was too good to be true. Fortunately, I only bought one tin and only lost $8 bucks. But those of you who purchased 350 tins ... well ... I suppose we have learned a couple of important lessons--caveat emptor ... mundus vult decipi ... tanstaafl.

I guess there's no way to know whether the performance of the wax has been affected, except by using it. But that will have to wait until next year. I'm not going to chance this tin of M16 for my winter wax. I'm trying to decide whether just to toss it.
            Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
            --Al Kimel

Comment

The double boiler trick didn't work?

Looked like Mister B's turned out alright????

None of my tins were bad, all were just as good as the first six I owned for the last couple of years.....
              Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                I put mine in the refrigerator for twelve hours earlier in the week and then let it sit for several days. I just opened it to see what it was like. No real change. The stuff is just soft. Not too soft but I can stick my finger into the wax and touch the bottom of the tin. It can no longer be considered a "hard" wax.

Invisible is right. Our tins of #16 are defective. I won't say we've been snookered, as I don't imagine the seller knew the condition of the wax, but we should have known the bargain was too good to be true. Fortunately, I only bought one tin and only lost $8 bucks. But those of you who purchased 350 tins ... well ... I suppose we have learned a couple of important lessons--caveat emptor ... mundus vult decipi ... tanstaafl.

I guess there's no way to know whether the performance of the wax has been affected, except by using it. But that will have to wait until next year. I'm not going to chance this tin of M16 for my winter wax. I'm trying to decide whether just to toss it.
                My 1 tin is still mushy, but I haven't given up hope on it yet. There has to be some way to remove the water in the tin, I'm assuming that is what makes it pudding like. I guess I have nothing to lose by letting it sit out...the other 11 tins in my closet look fine (not all came from the eBay seller though)

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                  I'm trying to decide whether just to toss it.
                  Just keep it as a collection. The blue tin looks sharp and stylish. It almost looks cool on my trophy cupboard.

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
                    Just keep it as a collection. The blue tin looks sharp and stylish. It almost looks cool on my trophy cupboard.
                    +1 keep it as a collection. those blue cans looks nifty
                    Learning new things everyday

Comment

Here is my thought on the pudding wax. Yes, we all can agree that it is not what we would normally get when purchasing M16. But, does the pudding state compromise the protection of the wax? I'm going to say no, at least until myself (or others) can prove it does. There is a chance that you can use the M16 to seal wheels in the pudding state and still get fantastic results. Also, I feel like it can still be applied to painted surfaces using a foam applicator...all you need to do is prime the pad with a small amount of M16 and apply.

On the flip side, it would be nice for Mike Stoops, or anyone else from Megs to shed some light on how to re-harden a wax. I have seen the posts stating the wax might have been frozen or heated without our knowledge, but there isn't much we can do for that at this point. One thing we can do is try to re-harden the wax.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelCash View Post
                        On the flip side, it would be nice for Mike Stoops, or anyone else from Megs to shed some light on how to re-harden a wax. I have seen the posts stating the wax might have been frozen or heated without our knowledge, but there isn't much we can do for that at this point. One thing we can do is try to re-harden the wax.
                        I think Mike has made it clear that neither he nor the Megs' chemists can offer suggestions on how to re-harden or restore the wax. And perhaps we shouldn't even be worrying about re-hardening it. After all, there are car waxes out there that are on the softer side. Some people prefer them because they find it is easier to get the wax onto the application pad. Hopefully, the performance of our M16 has not been compromised by whatever happened to it. Perhaps folks will even start asking for the "#16 pudding wax."
                        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                        --Al Kimel

Comment

Does anyone have an update as to how their "pudding wax" is performing. I used the home made double boiler method yesterday, but my wax is still pudding like. I tried to put it in the freezer for about fifteen minutes and it cracked a little in the middle and is still soft. Has anyone had any problems using it on paint?

Comment

I got two cans of rather soft wax. I shook one of mine and it almost turned to a liquid about the viscosity of chocolate syrup, but there was one big chunk that after about 30 min of shaking would not liquify. I let is sit for over a day and noting had changed. I used the double boiler method and got everything to liquify and threw it in the frig for about 2 hours and it hardened right up. I am debating if i want to do it to my other can since it was in the better condition of the two.
                            One thing I did when I melted the wax was to keep the heat as low as possible. The water never came to a boil and the hardened almost instantly on my stirrer when I pulled it out of the wax.

Comment

I did the double boiler method on my tin, everything worked out well from what I can tell. I've marked the tin so I'll know which one I have tampered with.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBumper View Post
                                Does anyone have an update as to how their "pudding wax" is performing. I used the home made double boiler method yesterday, but my wax is still pudding like. I tried to put it in the freezer for about fifteen minutes and it cracked a little in the middle and is still soft. Has anyone had any problems using it on paint?
                                I waxed my entire truck last week with the tin of M16 that I originally posted in the first post of this thread. The wax has worked fine for me so far.
                                Brian

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');