• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My M16 Paste Wax Finally Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My M16 Paste Wax Finally Arrived

I finally received my tins of M16 paste wax in the mail Saturday that I had purchased from the big Ebay sell off.

I immediately opened them up to check their condition. All 3 cans were a thick pudding like consistency with one being a light blue color and the other two cans being a purplish blue color.

I then closed the cans up and left them to sit out in the garage over night to see if the wax would set up any.

This morning I went out to the garage to check and all 3 cans were still a thick pudding like consistency. I remembered reading a while back that PorscheGuy997 had re-melted some of his waxes, so I figured I would take one of my cans and give it a try.

This is the test can that I am going to try and re-melt with the intention of getting the wax components remixed back together so that they will hopefully re-solidify back to original condition. You can see the thick pudding like consistency.

Since I do not have a double boiler, I took a saucepan and poured an inch or so of water into the pan and then took a small glass bowl and turned it upside down in the saucepan in order to sit the tin of wax on, to keep it out of the water during the melting process.

I placed the tin of wax on top of the upside down glass bowl inside the sauce pan and heated up the water to just below the boiling point and then gradually melted the wax down stirring occasionally to mix everything together until the wax contents were completely liquid (not paste) like shown below.

After having finished melting the wax down and making sure the contents were mixed up thoroughly, I took the wax off of the heat and set it aside to cool.

Later on in the day, this is what I am left with. The wax looks like new and appears to be setting up nicely.

Brian

Re: My M16 Paste Wax Finally Arrived

That's awesome!!! I saw the first photos, didn't like what I saw.

It sure looks like it's setting up nicely indeed!

Good show
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

No, they're ruined. I hate it for you but you need to send those to me immediately. I will dispose of them properly. PM me for my address. Get them in the mail as soon as possible.

Colin
      A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the photos. Good job!

Comment

Glad it came out OK. Will keep that process in mind.

Paul S
          Live like you're not afraid to die.Don't be scared, just enjoy your ride. Chris Ledoux RIP

PAUL SPARKS / Distinctive Auto Detailing
          317-513-4678

Comment

Thanks for sharing this process with us.
            When I took my M16's out of my hot, black, metal mailbox, the consistency was pretty much the same as yours, except I let them sit at room temperature in the closet for a few days and they hardened up just fine. I used some yesterday and I love it .

Comment

i did mine last night , and left them in fridge overnight are nice and level now.good stuff
              proreflection
              *Ceramic Coating * Protection Film * Car Wrap * Paint Correction

Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area

Comment

Nice Save!

I have one concern though. I assume that there is water in the wax, when you double boil it like that, wouldn't the heat be evaporating some of the water in the wax, or other chemcials that are evaporating with the heat.

Could a Megs rep comment on if melting them down like this will alter the abilities or make up of the wax?

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
                Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Great save. The wax looks ready to use.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew C. View Post
                    ...Could a Megs rep comment on if melting them down like this will alter the abilities or make up of the wax?

I was wondering the same thing. I'd like to hear Meguiar's official position on this. Mr. Stoops, what do you think?

Colin
                    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

After reading your post, I immediately had to open up my new can of M16. Like yours, mine seems to be softer than I expected, though perhaps a bit harder than pudding. Certainly, though, it's not as hard as the new can of M16 described and pictured in Mike's article How To Break-in a New Can of M16. Does that mean that our M16s are defective?
                      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                      --Al Kimel

Comment

Same goes to my stash of #16. All of them are in a pudding-like consistency. Nothing like the pictures Mike Phillips took for the article mentioned by Al. Have not tried Porscheguy's method of remixing it. Hope my stash are not defective. Any official word from Meguiars?
                        Learning new things everyday

Comment

That means that you should put them in the fridge for a couple hours . They will be fine.

Comment

what a recovery...
                            but are there any negative effects on doing this?
                            Ganesa,
                            Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

Anything new made by Meguiar's, can't speak for other waxes but it should work if the paste wax is hard in the can.

If it's soft like cooking shortening/Crisco or soft butter then you pretty much have to scoop it out of the can and spread it out.
                              ^Said by Mike P. Sooooo if its soft..its soft.
                              "Every moment frontin and maxin
                              Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
                              "

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');