• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint Needs to Breathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paint Needs to Breathe

Hey,MIKE you explained it great.Do people really think it"breaths" instead of cured compleatly dry.I guess you don't want to seal fresh paint, just keep it clean till it's cured more ,then do what you'd like,carefully,just my thoughts, that's what worked for me when i painted yrs ago, hope it's still true today. mavrick

Comment

Re: Paint Needs to Breathe - How to Polish?

I have reached day 30 after my paint job on my Silver Honda Ridgeline using #80 #81 and Final Inspection. I plan to wait a total of 90 days before waxing.

Simple Question? When you polish a few times, is there a shine build up thing taking place taking place or are you taking the previous polish off each time?

I see that #80 has the Polymer in it, so is polishing with #81 days later remove that Polymer protection? Also, is it possiblle the Final Inspection is removing the Polymer?

I guess its an #80 or #81 question. Can they compliment each other or should I simply choose between them?

Comment

Since both M80 and M81 are both rich in polishing oils, you really only need to choose one to use.

Are you driving this car everyday? Or storing it until the 90 days are up?

As for the question about will M34 remove polish? Sure, anytime you take your hand and wipe the finish with a clean, dry microfiber, regardless if you're using a quick detailer or not, the action of pushing down on a microfiber and pushing it across the paint acts to remove whatever is on the surface... not add more product to the surface...

Using a quick detailer will add gloss because there are ingredients in the quick detailer designed to add gloss, but if you take the process to the extreme, wiping paint with a microfiber, a cloth/tool famous for it's ability to remove product off a surface, then from the extreme point of view, unless there's fresh polish on the cloth that you're applying, when you're pushing a microfiber cloth over the finish, you're not adding polish, you're likely removing any polish that's on the surface.

This leads into a discussion on permeable and impermeable, and if you're working on brand new paint, then unless it's been sanded and cut with a compound, then you're working on paint that is very impermeable, that is polish is not going to penetrate easily into the paint because it's a very solid layer, as in not opened up from wear & tear, as we circle back around to the fact that it's brand new.

You should still do something to it like apply a pure polish until you're ready to apply wax.

Pretty simple really.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I'm driving the car but keep it garaged and pampered? We are headed into the winter and soon this can be an issue keeping it perfectly clean. I guess it does not matter which paint shop safe polish I use and there is no such thing as two coats of polish?

Your obviously familiar with paint types. The body shop was sort of vague in their recommendation to wait the wait to wax time. They sort of said 30 days? But also said, waiting longer is possibly better. The paint job is nearly flawless and the clear coat is excellent. Honda Silver Metalic (Factory match). I see in your notes that polishes can help the cure or out gas process. Does this suggest that 90 days waiting to wax may not be needed if I keep the vehicle polished at a high gloss?

Comment

I would go with the #80 as it will provide some level of protection with it's paintable polymer.

RamAirV1
            2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
            2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

OK, my original plan is to wait 90 days after my paint job on my Honda Truck. I'm at 30 days now. So far, I have been able to keep the finish beautiful with #80 and Final Inspection. I caught a break with the weather being mild in the North East and having my truck in the garage. The truck will still be in stored in the garage all winter but snow and salt are quite possible during my required commutes.

I am really delighted with the polished finish and dont want to jump the gun and wax too early. But should I consider a greater potential problem with salt getting into the paint and therefore wax soon? I did read in the forum that #80 can help with the cure. Does that suggest my keeping the truck pristine and polished for 30 plus days may have opened the door to waxing earlier in the 30-90 day range?

Comment

I have never heard of polishing helping paint cure faster....

But as far as salt, hard to say. Washing often so the salt isnt laying around will do a better job than leaving salt laying on the car, even if it is waxed.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

any opinions on 30 to 90...? wait period. Silver metallic Honda Clearcoat? Painted at the dealership.

Comment

Originally posted by rkollman View Post
                    any opinions on 30 to 90...? wait period. Silver metallic Honda Clearcoat? Painted at the dealership.
                    Your best choice would be to ask the painter at the dealership, only he would be able to tell you for sure since he would know if it's an air-cure/heat-cure or other paint and how long you need to wait before waxing.
                    Don
                    12/27/2015
                    "Darth Camaro"
                    2013 Camaro ... triple black
                    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
                      Your best choice would be to ask the painter at the dealership, only he would be able to tell you for sure since he would know if it's an air-cure/heat-cure or other paint and how long you need to wait before waxing.
                      I will ask him again. When I picked it up he was somewhat vague. Yeah, wait about 30 days or so. I was not sure if there is a preferred time. I think the truck spent the week end in a booth before i picked it up on a Tuesday.

Comment

Happy to say keeping my silver repainted Honda Ridgeline looking terrific without waxing has been reasonably easy using Speed Glaze and Final Inspection. I'm waiting 90 days before waxing because the finish is easy enough to keep looking excellent with these products. I guess I will take the high end of the range for the 30-90 day wait to wax recommendation?

I did try something today with good results. I mixed the speed glaze and final inspection in a spray bottle. (50/50 or so). After using Final Inspection Only, i followed with this milk mix and got the best gloss so far and application and removal of the mix was easy?

OK, I don't think Meguiar's has a product like this and its probably for a good reason? I welcome input here?

Comment

I'm approaching 60 days after my Honda 2006 Silver Ridgeline Truck was painted on the passengers side. I've been using #80 and Final Inspection on the whole vehicle (no wax at all) and the finish looks waxed and has an incredible gloss and the paint job was excellent. I may wait 30 more days to wax.

Major wax question: I am undecided what may be the best wax to use. Should I avoid Hi Tech Sealants and use regular waxes for a few more months?

I picked up this article and it would suggest not using any silicones and polymers. I intend to use either yellow wax, cleaner wax or a Meguiars special sealant.

Website http://www.ppg.com/car_autocoat/enthusiast.htm
                          "In the first 90 days"
                          It is recommended that you not wax or polish the vehicle. This will allow the finish to completely dry and cure. (When you are ready to wax, do not use silicone containing or super polymer containing waxes or polishes) Today's finishes do not need such extreme protection and if your vehicle were involved in an accident, the removal of such waxes would be time consuming and expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by rkollman View Post
                            I'm approaching 60 days after my Honda 2006 Silver Ridgeline Truck was painted on the passengers side. I've been using #80 and Final Inspection on the whole vehicle (no wax at all) and the finish looks waxed and has an incredible gloss and the paint job was excellent. I may wait 30 more days to wax.

Major wax question: I am undecided what may be the best wax to use. Should I avoid Hi Tech Sealants and use regular waxes for a few more months?

I picked up this article and it would suggest not using any silicones and polymers. I intend to use either yellow wax, cleaner wax or a Meguiars special sealant.

Website http://www.ppg.com/car_autocoat/enthusiast.htm
                            "In the first 90 days"
                            It is recommended that you not wax or polish the vehicle. This will allow the finish to completely dry and cure. (When you are ready to wax, do not use silicone containing or super polymer containing waxes or polishes) Today's finishes do not need such extreme protection and if your vehicle were involved in an accident, the removal of such waxes would be time consuming and expensive.
                            That is interesting information! Since it is coming directly from the paint manufacturer I would tend to give some credibility to it. But are silicone based sealants that hard to remove? If they were that hard to remove you would think that they would last longer.

There was (maybe still is) a paint sealant called TST2000. They said in their literature that waxes drift off of the paint, and that polymers drift into the paint. If that is true, could that be a factor?

It would be interesting to see any comments from Meguiars chemists on PPG's contention. I don't see where the silicone would be that hard to remove. If you're getting a repaint, aren't they stripping the paint all the way down to bare metal anyway? How can a silicone sealant survive that?

RamAirV1
                            2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by RamAirV1 View Post
                              That is interesting information! Since it is coming directly from the paint manufacturer I would tend to give some credibility to it. But are silicone based sealants that hard to remove? If they were that hard to remove you would think that they would last longer.

There was (maybe still is) a paint sealant called TST2000. They said in their literature that waxes drift off of the paint, and that polymers drift into the paint. If that is true, could that be a factor?

It would be interesting to see any comments from Meguiars chemists on PPG's contention. I don't see where the silicone would be that hard to remove. If you're getting a repaint, aren't they stripping the paint all the way down to bare metal anyway? How can a silicone sealant survive that?

RamAirV1
                              I have heard before silicones can be an issue but as long as you make the shop aware they are not. I thhink they wash the vehicle down with a solvent intended to address this. I'm just trying to decide on what Meguiars wax or sealant to use on the new paint after reaching 90 days. Most body shops recommend 30 to 90 days waiting to wax. I intend to go the max of 90. Maybe anything will be fine.

Comment

If you want to go with a pure carnauba, maybe you can use some #16. I think it's a pure carnauba.

I think you would be fine with any Megs LSP after 90 days though. Look how often products like #21 and NXT Tech wax are used on new cars.

RamAirV1
                                2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');