• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0

I just put a coat on my car and I'm really impressed with the results. But have a few questions about the product.

1. Can this be layered (second coat)?
    2. Does this product have cleaning capabilities?
    3. Does Meguiars have a sealant that does not have any cleaning and fine swirls removal capabilities? Strictly protection?

Re: M21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0

Originally posted by waxmatt View Post
    1. Can this be layered (second coat)?
    2. Does this product have cleaning capabilities?
    3. Does Meguiars have a sealant that does not have any cleaning and fine swirls removal capabilities? Strictly protection?
    1. Yes. In fact Meguiar's recommends two coats to ensure even coverage and maximum protection
    2. No. M21 2.0 is a pure sealant
    3. M21 2.0. Both NXT 2.0 and M20 have cleaning properties
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

all answered... nice

1. put a new layer on after waiting for the prior layer to cure...
      the protection and reflection you will get on a proper and fully preped surface is amazing :]
      Ganesa,
      Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

I may have to disagree with my friend Shane on the cleaning abilities of M21. I'd like to direct everyone to a lengthy recent post over at AutoGeek by Mike Phillips. Apparently both NXT and M21 have slight cleaners, which is a good thing in most circumstances. These cleaners aid in the bonding of the sealant but are not strong enough to qualify the products as cleaner waxes--at least that is my understanding from all I have read here on MOL.

This subject always comes up here on MOL and on the other forums. I guess it has to do with layerability. If a wax/sealant has cleaners, then presumably it can't be layered. When I think of layering, I have an image in my mind of building up wax/sealant thickness, coat by coat: you apply one coat, allow it to properly harden and cure, and then you apply a new coat, which bonds to and sits on top of the previous coat. Each new coat adds to the thickness of the wax/sealant and thus adds to its protective capabilities.

But is this what really happens? All sorts of claims, pros and cons, are advanced in the internet and in product publicity, but has anyone provided any scientific measurement that would confirm or disconfirm layering claims? In fact, a guy over in the UK has begun to do some measuring. His initial results do not support thickness buildup beyond the second coat. I direct you to these two Detailing World threads:

Thickness of Wax Layers

Wax and Sealant Thicknesses

I don't think the question has been definitively proven, one way or another; but the results are suggestive and should serve as a caution to those who believe one can indefinitely build up wax/sealant thickness. The tester really does need to experiment with some Zaino--if Zaino doesn't layer, or at least doesn't layer beyond two coats, then nobody's sealant layers.

I would love to see an article on this subject written by one of Meguiar's chemists but addressed to us detailing bozos. I know that nothing much hinges on all of this. I'm just curious. It would also be good to get some solid, scientifically grounded information out there on this subject of layering.

If I apply a second coat of NXT or M21 on top of a fully cured coat of NXT/M21, will the second coat remove completely the first coat? My understanding is that it will not, which is why Meguiar's recommends a second coat to achieve uniform coverage and optimal protection and appearance.

Perhaps one day the Meguiar's magisterium will publish a wax encyclical that will answer all questions and resolve all doubts.

Cheers,
        Al
        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
        --Al Kimel

Comment

OK, thanks Al. My bad. I was positive that M21 was a pure sealant, but I guess I was wrong. It happens, and I do apologize. I did some checking, and came across this from December 2007:

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
          M21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0 - Formula Update

M21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0
          Hydrophobic Polymer Technologyâ„¢ provides technologically advanced paint care and protection
          FEATURES:
          • Produces a noticeable deeper, darker, more reflective paint finish
          • Visually eliminates fine scratches and swirls, creating a flawless finish
          • Glides on easily with a smooth, resistance-free wipe-off
          So you are 100% right. Again, I do apologize, as I never want to spread wrong information around. Thanks for clearing that up, Al.
          Shane

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

50 strikes with a wet microfiber towel!!!!!

They in a sense have cleaning but not enough to worry about removing the layer you just laid down.

the A line Cleaner wax, ColorX, M66, PRC, M19 and on the lighter side, M20 has more cleaning abilities. Not sure on how much M20 does, it's a great wax too!
            Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

From least to most aggressive:

A12 Cleaner Wax
              M20 Polymer Sealant
              ColorX
              M06 Cleaner Wax
              M66 Quick Detailer
              D151 PRC

Both Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax and M21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0 have the slightest amount of cleaners that are hardly even worth mentioning, while they do exist so they can bond to the surface. But in no way can they be labeled as cleaner waxes.

As for the OP's question.

If your looking for a wax with no cleaning ability whatsoever, then M26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax or Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax will fit that description. The thing is though you need some surface prep so that pure wax bonds to the paint.

I waxed both these cars with M26 but before that I did prep the paint.

Nick
              Tucker's Detailing Services
              815-954-0773
              2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

A wax has to have some sort of a cleaning agent in order to give shine. After all shine comes from removing paint defects. M21 is one of my favorites easy on easy off great bead.

Comment

I agree, it has mild cleaners in it. I have never had a problem in applying 2 thin coats.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by CieraSL View Post
                    2. No. M21 2.0 is a pure sealant
                    3. M21 2.0. Both NXT 2.0 and M20 have cleaning properties

Originally posted by Nappers View Post
                    50 strikes with a wet microfiber towel!!!!!
                    Shane

Comment

Thank you all for the clarification and excellent information.

Comment

Originally posted by H.E.D View Post
                        A wax has to have some sort of a cleaning agent in order to give shine. After all shine comes from removing paint defects. M21 is one of my favorites easy on easy off great bead.
                        From my prospective, I have always believed that anything with petroleum distillates in it is going to have some sort of cleaning ability. If nothing more than removal of fresh tree sap (small droplets), fingerprint oils, etc.

I guess if a person wanted to do the multiple layering thing then I would suggest using a spray-on type of wax. That would be similar to using liquid floor waxes in my opinion. I used to strip old wax off of floors in my younger days, and then after applying a sealer we would put down three successive coats of liquid wax with a clean mop after the previous coat dried.
                        r. b.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');