• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honda S2000 - Black and heavily modified!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda S2000 - Black and heavily modified!

Hi everyone! It’s pretty late but I have some energy to do a write up for this black Honda S2000 I did a while ago. This car is displayed at a LOT of automotive events and gets many wipe downs.

The owner and I set up a detail last year but things did not transpire. When I was contacted again, the front end, hard-top, and fender flares had been freshly repainted and consequently swirl free. I quoted my client a price to reflect this and everything was good to go.

I showed up in the morning, unpacked my supplies and took some pictures while the sun was out.

Walkaround:

As you can see, the paint was in rough shape!

Wash & Decontamination
    - CWG @ Paint Cleanser Ratio via 2BM
    - Riccardo Yellow & ONR Clay Lubricant

Many times I have seen fellow Autopians express their frustration in detailing a black S2000, and after this detail, I can certainly see why such a sentiment is shared throughout the community.

Paint Correction
    My original plan was to start with SIP on a white pad at 1800rpm. Unfortunately it was not cooperating. After polishing a portion of the door, I did an IPA wipedown and brought the car into the sun. After about 2 minutes, the paint looked swirled again. Time would not grant me the opportunity to make multiple passes with SIP on a white pad, so I grabbed M105 and PFW. This original, never-polished paint certainly needed a heavy cutting to level down the paint and get it looking new again.

Below you will find before and afters of M105 on PFW at 1800rpm. The whole car (except the front end, hard-top and fender flares) looked like these two sets of before and afters.

Following M105, SIP on a white pad @ 1600rpm was used to restore gloss and polish out the compounding marks and buffer trails. The entire car except the front end and fender flares received this stage. The hard-top had a couple of deeper scratches that SIP on a white pad took care of, which indicates the clear to be extremely soft on the repainted surfaces.

Here are some pictures after SIP:

Following SIP, I went over the car (except the hood, front fenders and fairings) with Menzerna’s Final Polish II on a black pad to jewel the finish, at 1200rpm.

After finishing with FPII, I brought the car out to give it a foam gun wash in order to prepare for the LSP. Lone behold, there were extremely fine buffer trails of where I had corrected the paintwork. This is where the soft black paint started its fight.

To remedy this, I tried a number of things:
    IPA wipedown, SIP on white pad (again), FPII on black, IPA wipedown - No good.
    FPII on blue, IPA wipedown - No good.
    106FF on black, IPA wipedown - No good.

After these steps, I came to the conclusion that I needed a very fine cutting abrasive; finer than 106ff and FPII. I grabbed Poli-Seal and the PC on a blue pad, applied a fair amount of pressure and worked it into the paint at speed 6. Looking good so far, I tried an IPA wipedown, and finally I had the paint looking the way I wanted! With this issue out of the way, I went over the entire car with Poli-Seal with the same method to ensure nothing would remain.

Here are some pictures after Poli-Seal. Unfortunately with this fourth step, I knew I could not get daytime pictures after the car was completed. So these pictures are the last day-light pictures I have .

No more swirls!

Swirls be gone!

Following the Poli-Seal, I had a close look at the spoiler and realized I would need different pads to do the job safely as the surface was very curvy and I needed to cut aggressively to get out the damage. I discussed with the owner that it would be better I came at a later time with different (smaller) pads (I had some on backorder). He agreed.

LSP & Finishing
    Finally, the car was sealed with two coats of Opti-Seal. Tires were dressed with Opti-Bond. By the time I was finished, it was past 1am, and I was ready to fall over, lol! So I am sorry for the lack of after shots!

Finals

Comments, questions, etc are welcome as always! Thanks for looking!

Kaval

Re: Honda S2000 - Black and heavily modified!

Nice work! AL posting in 5,4,3,2,1...
    "Every moment frontin and maxin
    Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
    "

Comment

Nice Work.
      Good reflections.

Is this vehicle used for off road purposes? Why pop rivetted panels?

Comment

kaval, just out of curiosity. How does the owner open up the boot with the hardtop extension and wing in place?
        Detailing blog: prodetailing.blogspot.com
        Everything else: theseech.blogspot.com

Comment

wow

Comment

beautiful! This is the reason why I love black. Great job!

Comment

Sweet! Looks like black glass! Fabulous job!
              Shane
              1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Absolutely stunning work. The paint looks like liquid .
                I also haven't seen any aftermarket S2K's that I like, but this one...wow. I love its proportions and the styling. Great job!

Comment

nice work
                  it only takes a little patience and plenty of PASSION!!

detailing blog

http://thedetailers.blogspot.com

Comment

Nice work, Kaval,

So let me get this straight. The following processes were performed:

1. PFW + M105 at 1800rpm
                    2. White Pad + SIP at 1600rpm
                    3. Black Pad + Final Polish II at 1200rpm
                    4. Blue Pad + Poli Seal at Speed 6 on PC.

That is an awful lot of steps, but it pays off.

Originally posted by kaval View Post
                    After finishing with FPII, I brought the car out to give it a foam gun wash in order to prepare for the LSP. Lone behold, there were extremely fine buffer trails of where I had corrected the paintwork. This is where the soft black paint started its fight.

To remedy this, I tried a number of things:
                    IPA wipedown, SIP on white pad (again), FPII on black, IPA wipedown - No good.
                    FPII on blue, IPA wipedown - No good.
                    106FF on black, IPA wipedown - No good.

After these steps, I came to the conclusion that I needed a very fine cutting abrasive; finer than 106ff and FPII. I grabbed Poli-Seal and the PC on a blue pad, applied a fair amount of pressure and worked it into the paint at speed 6. Looking good so far, I tried an IPA wipedown, and finally I had the paint looking the way I wanted!
                    For the life of me, I would have never thought of using Poli Seal as a polish against buffer trails!!! Do you think the sealing agent would hide the buffer trails? I know you did an IPA wipe down, but would there be a possibility of that?

Comment

Great work. The reflections are off the charts. Way to go.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Heavy modified import, surprise surprise.
                        Your excellent job exceeds what the car deserves!

Comment

loving the s2k work, cant wait til i get my own i dont think i would ever trade the drop top for a hard top, but i love the spoon hard top, to bad it makes the trunk, wasted space. great job!!!!!!!!! looks amazing!!!

Comment

Love the aftershots. Hats off to you Kaval of MIS.
                            Learning new things everyday

Comment

Looks great! Got to hate the Honda paint no matter what you do it is going to swirl,

Cat :x

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');