Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Orange Peel

Re: Orange Peel

I've never quite understood the fascination with wet-sanding on a daily driver. Yes, that flat "sheet-of-glass" look is gorgeous, but extremely difficult to maintain on a regular basis... it will show everything! Orange peel is your friend on a daily driver! Now, a show-car/garage queen... that's another story.

It seems to me that you will NOT be able to polish the paint/clear flat... it will still be wavy... better than before, but not flat like wet-sanding will achieve.

It's also interesting how HARD the newer paints & clears are... my '13 Ford Edge Limited had bad paint etching on the horizontal surfaces (sat in a remote lot near an airport for a few months). It took 5-6 passes using M105 and a wool pad (on rotary) to get ~60-75% correction. I didn't take it further as I was concerned about the thickness of the clear. The real shocker was looking at the pad after the first pass... ... it's RED! After I calmed myself, I was like: OHHHH... tinted clearcoat. LOL But it really made me wonder how aggressive the stuff was that attacked my paint, given the hardness of the clear... yowza. I guess jet fuel & smog are a toxic mixture.
    R. Smith
    Santa Clarita, CA

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Never heard of being able to "Re-Flow" paint by heating it. What prevents the compound from getting trapped in the cracks as they flow closed? I do know that paint can expand when heated, but this is a temporary effect. You would have to produce the same results in front of me before I would believe it. And most importantly....why is the enter key on this computer not working? Can't create paragraphs!

the old lacquers could be reflowed but not modern paint. you just end up bubbling the clearcoat and delamination

as for removing orange peel with a rotary, yes you absolutely can but on factory paint under 120 microns I wouldn't recommend it

the denim and velvet pads are best for reducing it by 30 to 97% by rounding it down and by using a medium cutting polish or finishing polish with either pad and good technique, removing no swirl marks, holograms or marring is definately achievable. I do it all the time

microfibre pads can reduce the orange peel by a smaller amount as well via forced rotation and random orbital with a compound or medium polish using a large orbit throw like a Rupes, Flex forced rotation or my own custom 1600 watt machine

Registered Member

I started doing this in early 2011 and love using a denim or velvet pad with a finishing polish or all purpose polish via my fein rotary finishing down at 200 rpm to take whatever amount of peel percentage down that I choose depending on the thickness but I have my trusty gauge with me and am very very focused and dont work for long and keep wiping the residue off to check how its going. but I dont go dead flat on factory paint, that is totally stupid.

I usually leave a DA like perfectly marr free finish via this method
    I am in agreements with "SLICK" on this one

it is very hard to go dead flat via this method, wet damp or dry sanding is a better option for aftermarket paint if you want it dead flat.

twenty two years with a rotary so Im used to doing this and was trained by 45 year veteran of the industry

Registered Member

Of all the tools available to a detailer the brain is probably the most overlooked, and the most powerful.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information