• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

clear coat failure and other questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clear coat failure and other questions

I have a 97 jeep wrangler and I have some questions about how to care for the exterior of it. First of all let me say that after searching and reading on this forum I realize that I have clear coat failure on my hood and one of my front fenders. I plan on having the hood (and other affected parts) repainted, here's where the questions come in. Will the hood have to be completely stripped to the metal? Would it be better to get a replacement hood and have that painted? Also what about the rest of the vehicle, it has a dull finish to it. Is this just oxidation or could this be the beginnings of clear coat failure as well? I plan on keeping the jeep and I want to keep it in good condition. I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to waxing, etc. and I don't want to create a problem or make an existing one worse. If anyone could offer any help or advice I would really appreciate it. Also once I have the hood repainted what do I do to make sure that this clear coat failure doesn't happen again?

Re: clear coat failure and other questions

Are there any chances of pics? Esp of the more 'oxidized' parts?

As far as repainting, yes, I imagine they would go to the metal.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I do have pics. Let's see if this works.

Comment

The first pic is of the door where it looks very hazy. Is this oxidation and if so what can I do to take care of it? I have meguiar's ultimate compound and ulimate quick wax. Will these products work to take care of the haziness in the first pic?

Comment

Ultimate Compound will remove the oxydation !
          You will also need a wax (NXTtechwax 2.0) to protect the paint after compounding,
          because Ultimate Quick Wax is used as a booster for existing waxlayers !

In between UQ and waxing you could also apply a polish (DCpaint polish )
          to feed the paint and enhance the gloss !

The paint on the hood is definytely CLEARCOATFAILURE, nothing you can do about that except a respray !

Comment

Yeah, the door looks pretty good.

Here is what a full detail would look like:

1. Wash - Gold Class soap, or Nxt, etc. Godo quality towels/sponges, 2 buckets.
            2. Clay - Smooth Surface clay kit, maybe get an extra Quick Detailer bottle.
            3. Clean - This is where you would try SwirlX on a spot to see if it does the job. If not, then you can try Ultimate Compound. It still may need followed up with SwirlX, and SwirlX would be the mild cleaner for future details. Either apply very gently, or just avoid the failing areas.
            4. Polish - This is optional, since SwirlX is a cleaner/polish. But, Deep Crystal Polish would be easy to use if you wanted.
            5. Wax - Nxt 2.0 is a good wax, or any other favorite wax.
            6. Wax - Two thin coats are best.
            7. Maintain - After future washes, I like to use Ultimate Quick Wax to bring back a nice fresh shine, and put a little wax back.

Comment

Thanks very much for the replies Murr1525 & geert dr. That's exactly what I needed to know, how to take care of the rest of the jeep. Is that oxidation on the door? It's very dull looking.

Comment

Originally posted by wrangler97 View Post
                Would it be better to get a replacement hood and have that painted?
                The only time it makes sense to have a panel replaced is if there are numerous dents, the panel is misaligned due to previous damage, or the panel is displaying rust. Other than that, your hood should be perfectly fine to be sanded and repainted.

Comment

Originally posted by wrangler97 View Post
                  Is that oxidation on the door? It's very dull looking.
                  Clear coats dont generally get oxidized. Looks more like soap scum or something.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');