• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Longest Lasting Combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longest Lasting Combo?

I am trying to determine what wax combo I am going to put on my car for the summer. My car will be covered during the winter but a good coat of wax is still a must. It will be driven pretty rarely.

I'm guessing that NXT 2.0 topped with M16 would last the longest out of all wax combos? Collinite 476?
    James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
    Calais Auto Detailing
    CalaisDetails@aim.com
    www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Re: Longest Lasting Combo?

Blackfire WD has always been my go to winter sealant after m07 that looks amazing and will stay that way for 3-4 months. But I suppose that isn't really preferred around these parts....
    Matt

Comment

My guess is that within the Meguiar's line, two coats of M16 will outlast any other Megs' combination of waxes.
      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
      --Al Kimel

Comment

You can get a good 4 months from Collinite 476s, about the same with M16. I might even do M26 --> M16 (or Collinite). Finish Kare 1000P is another great long-lasting paste wax that is really easy on the wallet.

Never tried Blackfire, although people seem to like it on MOL.

Whatever you choose, the key is adding THIN coats...otherwise it might be spring before you get off the excess!
        NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Blackfire seems to be a bit on the steep side. $35 for 16 oz. They claim 6 months of protection, but I'd have to try that one out myself.

In comparison, M16 is about $18 for a tin and FK1000P and Collinite are $10-$15 each.

Comment

M20 will outlast any of the other Meguiars waxes or sealants.

That said, this winter I'm planning on using Menzerna FMJ on both of my cars which will be driven on the nasty roads. Durability reviews for FMJ seem to be outstanding.
            If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to record the event, how can you be certain that there was a tree or even a forest to begin with?

Comment

In the Meguiars line, I would go with the 2 thin coats of #16.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

I would go with Colorx topped with M21 v2 it keeps its look and its properties very well its look will last abot three months and give you four good months of protection

Comment

is #16 really that great?? I've read so many good reviews from it... keeps me enthusiastic about it :]
                  Ganesa,
                  Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

I think three thin coats of Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 will outlast M16.

Nick
                    Tucker's Detailing Services
                    815-954-0773
                    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I am not sure if M16 would give you a long lasting effect. The primary reason for layering M16 on top of a sealant is to enhance gloss and depth. Very little has been mentioned about improved durability of layering a pure wax over a sealant.

Also, I don't like to layer paste wax over any sealant. Rather I use a liquid wax. Paste wax requires more effort to work into the paint, and that effort MAY effect or even wear out the previously applied sealant. Have you ever noticed that when people are layering wax, each consecutive layer of wax or sealant is always applied with a more gentler pad. For example: with the Lake Country foam pad combo, glaze is applied using the gray finishing pad, sealant applied using the blue finessing pad, and the final layer of pure wax is applied using the red ultra soft pad. The gentler pad for each consecutive step avoids removing the previous layer of wax or sealant. Rubbing a paste wax over a sealed surface may very well effect the durability of the sealant.

I believe that putting three coats of NXT 2.0 applied by hand slowly and gently may deliver the best protection than layering M16 on a sealant. Try M26 if you must absolutely layer a pure wax over a sealant. The M26 is the smoothest to apply.

Comment

I'm getting two tins of M16 so I wanted to find out what I could about layering/applying it. I guess I will just use it by itself as its reputation precedes itself.

Any tips/tricks/anecdotes?
                        Calais Auto Detailing
                        CalaisDetails@aim.com

Comment

Thin coats are essential for M16. I'd give it a shot while the weather is nice and then go from there. I'm sure you'll like the product!

Comment

How about doing it by DA? Anyone try it?
                            Calais Auto Detailing
                            CalaisDetails@aim.com

Comment

Would it be good to put M7, followed by M26, Followed by NXT on 22 year old but well cared for paint? That's what I have been experimenting with....trial and error.

Summer sun is really intense in SoCal. Hoping that putting as much oil in the paint as possable before sealing makes sense this time of year.
                              Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
                              by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');