• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UQW as booster wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UQW as booster wax

We say it all the time here on MOL. I have made the claim many times myself:

Use Ultimate Quik Wax as a booster and maintenance wax. It will extend the life of your primary wax/sealant.

My question is this: Do we in fact know if this is true?

Let's say I lay down two coats of NXT. Two weeks later I wash my car and apply a coat of UQW. Do I know that the UQW solvents have not in fact compromised, even a little bit, the previously applied coats of NXT? Do I know that two coats of NXT + UQW will last longer than two coats of NXT without UQW?

Please understand: I am in no way arguing against the frequent use of UQW. As I have already made clear in my own review, I think UQW is a great product. I even suspect that it can and may be used on its own. One may have to apply it more frequently than NXT, but given that UQW application is so darn easy, who cares if one has to apply it monthly rather than bi-monthly? I just don't want us making unsubstantiated claims for it.

Does official Meguiarsdom have a word for us? Has anyone within the MOL community actually compared durability between NXT alone and NXT + UQW?

Cheers,
    Al
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Re: UQW as booster wax

I have made this claim as well. When I tested this product before it even hit the market I was told it was a spray wax and how to use it, nothing more.

So going from there to test the product, I had to guess what was in it and how it worked.

In this thread you can see my testing of 21-21A (or UQW now) and there is a obvious difference in gloss and clarity after using UQW on top of NXT 2.0 vs just UQW by itself.

I can tell you from my testing that it does add a slicker finish, depth, clarity and gloss to a finish already coated with NXT 2.0.

Ryan
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

It would quite literally be impossible to determine if what remained on the paint was NXT 2.0, or UQW after using both of them. Well, at least for a normal detailer- maybe a chemist, but even then I imagine it would be close to impossible.

That said, UQW clearly extends the benefits that NXT 2.0 for a substantial amount of time, whether it is the NXT 2.0 lasting longer, or the UQW, something is lasting a long time.

It also remains true that a true, proper coat of NXT 2.0 (or similar liquid or paste wax) is preferred as a base coat. Considering UQW does not have cleaners, I doubt it would actually clean and remove the base coat of wax any faster than it would have dissipated on its own. So I think it remains valid and accurate to say that using UQW will boost your protection and extend the life of the wax.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
        That said, UQW clearly extends the benefits that NXT 2.0 for a substantial amount of time, whether it is the NXT 2.0 lasting longer, or the UQW, something is lasting a long time.
        Mark, have you done a comparison between NXT alone, UQW alone, and NXT+UQW?

Surely someone out there is willing to do a comparative test Meguiar's is counting on you. The world is counting on you!
        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
        --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post

Surely someone out there is willing to do a comparative test Meguiar's is counting on you. The world is counting on you!
          Haha, well, I did do a test with UQW alone and found it to still bead and sheet water very effectively after a full month. I could have gone longer, but it was my personal vehicle, and, well, you know how that can be

I haven't done any "testing" per say, though, in regards to comparing longevity between the 3 possibilities. I guess I could give it a go once I finally get that Fiesta polished.

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post

I did one in my testing of it...look at my post right after yours Al.
            Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

The questionability of whether spray-on waxes boost the primary wax is the reason I NEVER use products like UQW, or even UQD for that matter. The slickness of UQW or UQD or equivalent products may give me a false sense that the vehicle is adequately protected, when it in fact isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
                The questionability of whether spray-on waxes boost the primary wax is the reason I NEVER use products like UQW, or even UQD for that matter. The slickness of UQW or UQD or equivalent products may give me a false sense that the vehicle is adequately protected, when it in fact isn't.
                I don't worry about protection, as long as I can see some kind of beading. The way I figure it is this: a wax adds minimal protection against UVR, pollutants, and other stuff: we are talking about only 25 nanometers thickness of wax protection (consider how thin this truly is--a sheet of paper is 100,000 nanometers thick!).

I apply a wax/sealant not primarily to protect but to enhance appearance. And UQW ENHANCES appearance, indubitably.
                --Al Kimel

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');