• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-1973 AMF Sunfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-1973 AMF Sunfish

I bought this boat about 9 years ago, and it's been sitting under an oak tree in my yard for the past 5. It was in NASTY shape:

After Removing the cowling to clean the immediate area, I found a nice little surprise!

An ant colony had moved in!

I used Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner and a stiff bristled scrub brush to remove the 5 years of tree tar and envrionmental fall out from the deck and scooped the leaves out by hand. I found an old PFD in the cockpit too!

Gave the boat a rinse with the hose, and polished the bow with UC on a 6006 Pad on the G100. Sealed it with NXT2.0. I've only polished the bow at this point as I've got more important things to worry about than my boat that can't be sailed (needs a new daggerboard, rudder wood, and mast hardware), but at least it's not an eyesore anymore!

I'll get a whole-boat finished shot when I'm done polishing it. It's going to take forever, the amount of dead paint on the thing clogs the pad in two sections...
    If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to record the event, how can you be certain that there was a tree or even a forest to begin with?

Re: Pre-1973 AMF Sunfish

Please move this to extreme haha! Holy cow you have some work cut out, looks great so far!
    "Every moment frontin and maxin
    Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
    "

Comment

Cool. Good to see you wanted to clean it up!

Comment

What a difference. The boat looks great. Good job.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Wow! excellent job on the boat! It really doesn't look like the same one in the before pics!
          For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

736th GunTrucks "Bakersfield to Bagdad"

Wife say's I'm "obsessed"!

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');