• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help to refurb chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help to refurb chrome

Not sure if this belongs here as I don't have any of the Meguiars furniture line. I'm not even sure if they are released here in Australia, or indeed needed for this job.

I want to refurb an art deco bakelite standard lamp. The base / stand is bakelite, and the pole appears to be chrome. The 'chrome' is in parts rusty and in parts blackened.

I was told to sand back with fine steel wool, which I haven't yet tried. But then I'm stuck as to what to do next.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Need help to refurb chrome

If you are sure it is chrome, a product like Hot Rims Chrome Polish would be great.

I'm not sure what to do about the rust, a very fine steel wool might work, but be careful.

Ryan
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Here's a (not very good) pic of what I'm up against ...

Comment

Once chrome is gone,you can't bring it back.

Best you can do is clean it up with the chrome polish or meg's all metal polish.Even the mag & aluminium polish cleans chrome pretty good,if you have trouble getting the other products.

I would give that a go first before doing any rubbing with wool,then you can judge if it can be improved.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');