• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing in the Winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing in the Winter

I always hear people talking about getting a good wax or sealant for the winter that will last a long time. Is this just because people don't want to detail the car in the cold, or because LSP's dont work as well in very cold temperatures?

I have no problem spending a couple hours detailing my vehicle in the winter due to the fact that it doesn't normally drop below 20* during the day here. So am I fine just using the same products the same way in the winter?

Re: Detailing in the Winter

Some areas of the US are continually well below freezing, which means water will freeze when washing. Most people use something like Collinite, FK1000P or M16 for a winter wax because they are very durable and can easily last through a season.
    NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

I wash mine anytime its above freezing (40* or so). I just fill my buckets with HOT water to keep my hands warm, and it feels really good. Then I can wax or do whatever afterward. Usually I will not do any paint cleaners or polishes though until spring Salt is brutal on the paint so why make it perfect when you will just be slammed by it again.

Comment

A good layer of wax will help protect the paint against salt.

In TN, they use a salt brine type solution that covers the cars in the winter time. In the past I have added two coats of Collinite 476s and then I just got to the coin-op and spray the funk off my car about once every 10 days or so. Only costs me about $1.

I'd suggest either Collinite of FK1000 for a winter wax, M16 is just too valuable to use in the winter (in my opinion)
        NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelCash View Post
          I'd suggest either Collinite of FK1000 for a winter wax, M16 is just too valuable to use in the winter (in my opinion)
          Golly, Colonel, how often do you wax you wax? Even if I waxed my car monthly with M16, I estimate it would take me five years to get through that big tin. My kids will probably be inheriting my #16.
          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
          --Al Kimel

Comment

Collinite 476s is some durable stuff as well.
            Alex C.

Comment

Originally posted by Black150 View Post
              Collinite 476s is some durable stuff as well.
              I think I'm going to put some Collinite on my car for the winter. It's either that or two coats of NXT 2.0. Can NXT 2.0 come close to matching Collinite?
              James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
              Calais Auto Detailing
              CalaisDetails@aim.com
              www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

I'm planning on going with Menzerna FMJ this winter on all my cars. Supposedly it's good for 6-9 months. Hell, it was designed for German winters by german chemists, so it must be good, right?

I go through the touchless wash every other week or so to keep the mess off the car, but other than that it's WAY too cold around here in the winter for any kind of detailing. We get a break from the cold every February for about a week and I generally do a real wash and wax on the car then. But then it's back to snow and ice for 2 more months.
                If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to record the event, how can you be certain that there was a tree or even a forest to begin with?

Comment

On the same topic, can you use QD/UQD as a waterless wash to get sand and salt off your car in the winter or is it not strong enough? I'm just trying to think ahead of some products I could use in the winter to keep dirt and grime off the car without having to drag on the hose in below freezing temperatures.
                  Anybody can make a car look good with the right products.

Comment

Hot water and ONR is what I use to wash in the winter here in Wisconsin.
                    AeroCleanse, LLC
                    Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
                    www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Originally posted by Calais View Post
                      Can NXT 2.0 come close to matching Collinite?
                      For shine and ease of use, NXT wins hands down. But 476s is some tough stuff and, in my book, wins in the longevity category. But yet, i'm still out there every month or two applying NXT. I just love the way it makes my black shine.
                      Alex C.

Comment

Originally posted by Calais View Post
                        I think I'm going to put some Collinite on my car for the winter. It's either that or two coats of NXT 2.0. Can NXT 2.0 come close to matching Collinite?
                        I used Collinite 476s on single stage paint and the performance was abysmal. NXT is much better in EVERY way IMO. In fact, I'd take Collinite 845 over 476s any day.
                        ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

I think one thing everyone is NOT talking about is why not wax again in the winter. None of your friends have heated garages that you can do your car and their car in? I do my washing at the coin-op then head home where I've got a fire going in the wood-burning stove at if things are going right it can get up to 80 degrees (F) in there.

Along with that, how often do you really want to wax in the winter. Being in public accounting, I am extremely busy from the middle of January through the middle to end of March, so I really do not wax during that time usually. I just make sure I do a fall coat, a post Christmas/pre-busy season wax as well, then I'll probably wait around for the beginning to middle of April for another.

Is it the perfect situation, no probably not, but I also don't this the world will end if I don't wax it. I just go with NXT 2.0 and usually top with UQD on washes and hope for the best. I think it's all a matter of preference as well. Yes you would like to keep that fresh coat of wax there, but at what cost.
                          "Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week." Jay-Z

Comment

I know that, weather permitting, I intend to use UQW frequently during this coming winter as a supplement to my winter wax.
                            Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                            --Al Kimel

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');