• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nitrocellulose lacquer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrocellulose lacquer

Hi...cleaning up some guitars for people.I find the old scratchX works good.

I have tried a couple of guitars with rotary....(everything removed of course).

works fine but different results..

Tried 3M's Finesse-it and got a kind of hazy finish...Surprised?

Tried scratchX and comes crystal clear.

After,I like to wipe down with spirit/water 1:1 to get a clear picture.These finishes are extremely glossy with no orange peel whatsoever,so you see everything.

Anyone else have any results they have tried with Nitrocellulose lacquer? Or any knowledge regarding it.

Re: Nitrocellulose lacquer

They use to paint cars with nitro .lacquer, it gave a outstanding finish , but didnt hold its gloss without a lot of polish and wax. It cane out in 1924 and the first color was called True Blue. It was first used on the 1924 Oakland, and soon everbody used it because it was more durable then any paint preciouslly used.

Comment

Re: Nitrocellulose lacquer

Thanks for the info Larry.

I also find that it stains very easily and quickly.

Always found this strange..

My freind bought a White Gibson LP and the case lining was pink(which is common)...Within a very short period it was gradually absorbing pink dye from the lining of the case.....At least make the lining white?

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');