• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaner Wax vs ColorX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaner Wax vs ColorX

Hi All,
    I am in the final stages of creating my Megs product list for my new Hyundai HyperSilver i30. So far all the advice I have received has been very insightful and a great help. My next question is in relation to Cleaner Wax or ColorX.

I have searched through MOL for the information, and it seems that people are pretty split on the best product. So I was hoping to get some info in the differences.

I understand that Cleaner Wax is less abrasive then ColorX, but by this does it mean that ColorX actually removes part of the CC?
    Is this recommended for a new car?

Ultimately I want to find and use the best product for my new un-garaged car. I will be using NXT Wash (2 bucket method), claying, DCPC (on occasion), some form of cleaner wax (hence the reason for the thread), and NXT Tech Wax 2.0.

As its a new car the polish step has been skipped, but I understand that in time I will need to implement this too..

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Nagaz

Re: Cleaner Wax vs ColorX

Nagaz-

If it is true that Cleaner Wax is less abrasive than Color X (I don't know that), I would suggest using Cleaner Wax as the basic product and only going to the Color-X when it is needed to put the paint back in good condition. Either of these products needs to be used often--at least every two months in my experience with Cleaner Wax. If you let it go longer than that, then you might need the Color-X or something even stronger. So, I would adjust the product you use depending on the condition of the paint, but use the Cleaner Wax as your basic product.

Wally

Comment

I don't think you need a cleaner wax. You said that you plan on using DCPC and NXT 2.0. If that's the case, then you already have a cleaner and you already have a wax and when you do it that way, it'll be more thorough anyway than using a cleaner-wax. If you're not satisfied with the results that DCPC is giving you (which isn't likely since the car is new anyway), you can always step it up to SwirlX, ScratchX 2.0, and finally Ultimate Compound.
      -HealthyCivic
      Check out the glossary

Comment

I'd just go straight to the ColorX. It is stronger than ColorX, but it is not a super strong compound like Ultimate Compound. You can also apply it more strongly or more gently.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Nice Hyundai, I just got a Sonata a few months ago.

I had plenty of embedded stuff on my new car when I got it, add to that a bunch of tar from the first couple of weeks of pot hole patching this spring, never mind the road paint splatter I managed to pick up and so it goes....

Now, your paint should be in excellent condition though there may be embedded stuff on it from shipping, sitting on the lot etc. before you got your hands on it so a good cleaning is in order (2 bucket wash), claying if you find anything stuck on the surface of the paint and then you can, if things look good, go straight to NXT. If you still see stuff like I did (tar not completely gone, even after removing most of it with a tar remover and then claying), I found that A12 cleaner wax did the trick for me. Having said that, I'm going to pick up a bottle of Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner to try instead of the cleaner wax when I want to use a sealant like NXT or in my case, M-21 which is pretty much the same thing. I know M-21 or NXT 2.0 would go over A12 just fine but I'd like to bypass that layer of wax between the paint and M-21, just to see if it makes a difference even though I'm pretty sure it won't.

As for the ColorX cleaner wax, it is more aggressive and adds mechanical cleaning, not just chemical cleaning to the picture and it would be something I would reach for if dealing with an older, neglected but in good shape paint that needs more than A12 to bring it back to life. A good rule of thumb is always to try the least aggressive product first and only escalate if that product doesn't do enough.

I like keeping the little bottle of A12 cleaner wax that comes in the clay kit in the trunk for emergency cleanups. I have found A12 removes tar droplets as well as anything by simply putting a blob of the wax on top of the tar droplet and then massaging gently with a finger until it dissolves into the wax, I then wipe it off and apply a fresh light coat of the same wax, let haze and buff. Spot removed and fresh protection in place until my next full wax job.

So in short, use the wash you have, the clay kit you have and the Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner if you already have it OR A12 if you wish and then finish with NXT or other wax of choice. If I had my choice, I'd use the DC if I wanted to use NXT but you don't have to as Meguiars products are made to work together without any major issues.

Regards

Christian

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for the info.

I guess i am still confused.. I have read a number of posts that say for a new un-garaged daily driver, many people have recommended the wash, clay, colorx and wax program, only usinf DCPC 2 - 3 times a year to remove the gunk that builds up over time.

What concerned me is that ColorX has minimal abrasives, but I will admit I have no idea if this is a good or a bad thing(?). Being the n00b that i am, when i see the word 'abrasives' i automatically think that the product will be removing/thining the CC, which is not something that i want/should be doing(?).

Ultimately, I just want something that will protect my daily driver as it will be subject to rain, hail, shine and wind (Melbourne Australia 4-seasons in a day weather), never being in a garage.

Is there any issues/negative effect of using a cleaner wax (colorx or cleaner wax) with DCPC, in an effort to give that little extra protection???

Thanks again!

Nagaz

Comment

Originally posted by Nagaz View Post

What concerned me is that ColorX has minimal abrasives, but I will admit I have no idea if this is a good or a bad thing(?). Being the n00b that i am, when i see the word 'abrasives' i automatically think that the product will be removing/thining the CC, which is not something that i want/should be doing(?).

Is there any issues/negative effect of using a cleaner wax (colorx or cleaner wax) with DCPC, in an effort to give that little extra protection???

Thanks again!

Nagaz
              Yeah, people see the word abrasive and freak. It is not like sandpaper, or old rubbing compounds. It is still very mild really.

Deep Crystal Cleaner is only a cleaner, so it wont help with extra protection. You could use Deep Crystal Cleaner followed by ColorX, but that would be a bit redundant.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Get the Colorx. It has good cleaning power when worked in really well, or you can just apply it like a LSP and it will still clean but not as much when worked in (the application is key). It's a fantastic product and easily one of my faves from Megs.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                  Yeah, people see the word abrasive and freak. It is not like sandpaper, or old rubbing compounds. It is still very mild really.

Deep Crystal Cleaner is only a cleaner, so it wont help with extra protection. You could use Deep Crystal Cleaner followed by ColorX, but that would be a bit redundant.
                  Hi Murr,

With that being said, does ColorX actually remove any of the CC? I understand that it can assist in removing very light swirls, but with repeated use (4 - 5 times a year) will it have an adverse effect on the CC?

Other then that, what would you recommend for a new un-garaged daily driver?

Cheers,
                  Nagaz

Comment

I think how much ColorX affects the clear coat would depend on how strenuously you're using it. I've settled on using ColorX plus NXT 2.0 for our daily drivers every 6 to 8 weeks. I really think using ColorX might be helping NXT bond to the surface better, because both of our vehicles seem to bead water and stay shiny for a long time, longer than a lot of people claim for NXT 2.0. On a new vehicle you're not going to have to use a lot of pressure when applying ColorX to get the paint clean, so I doubt there's any adverse effect. Surely in the long run your paint will look much better by using the ColorX/NXT combo than if you just washed it without applying extra cleaning and protection. Klasse All in One would be a decent substitute for ColorX, and it may be a little bit milder too if you're really concerned about it though. But in my experience, the ColorX results in a slightly shinier surface.

I would think anything that actually polishes the surface would abrade a tiny bit of the clear coat away. But there's no way around that unless the car sits in a garage and is never driven. The amount of clear coat removed from using something as mild as ColorX has to be small though. Probably small enough that you could use it as long as you own the vehicle and never have a problem. The everyday elements are most likely doing much more damage to the CC than a cleaner wax, which also leaves behind protection.

Comment

Nagaz, on the general use of cleaner waxes, see Mosca's article on cleaner wax. From what I have read, Cleaner Wax, M20 Polymer Sealant, and ColorX are all safe to be used regularly on clear coat finishes. ColorX is the most abrasive of the three, yet all three would be classified as gentle in comparison to Meguiar's regular cleaning-polishes. I do not believe we need fear using any of them on a regular basis, though logic would suggest that the better condition the paint is in, the gentler the product one should choose. With a new car that is garaged, I might go with Cleaner Wax or M20; with a car that is out in the elements 24/7, I might choose ColorX; but I would feel confident using any of them. And you do not have to use a cleaner wax every time you wax. You might, for example, decide to use it a couple of times a year. It all depends on what you think your paint needs.
                      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                      --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by Nagaz View Post
                        Nagaz
                        ColorX, Cleaner Wax and M-6 are all "cleaners plus wax" (these are often referred to as AIO's or "All In One" waxes). Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is just that, the cleaner part without any wax, you would have to use a separate wax after to add protection.

So to answer your question above, if you use ColorX or Cleaner Wax first and follow with DCPC, you will have removed the wax coating you just put on your car with either the ColorX or Cleaner Wax. Using more than one step of cleaning will not add protection.

Going the other way, DCPC first, then a cleaner wax is simply a waste of a step as you are cleaning and then cleaning again with a cleaner wax. If the paint is clean, it's clean..... all that is then needed is a coat of wax, either traditional or the newer polymer style. Forgo extra cleaning steps and just use what you have... if that is ColorX or A12 Cleaner wax, use that. If you have a bottle of DCPC already, that's fine too... just use that and then, in a second step add a layer of wax or polymer. A total of 2 thin coats of wax is best and insures you didn't miss any spots, additional coats of waxes or polymers have not been proven to add anything in the way of protection.

All the consumer AIO products are fairly mild (M-66 and D-151 are professional products and NOTas mild) and can be used regularly. As others have mentioned, A12 is a great product and if it gets your paint perfectly clean and swirl free there is nothing ColorX can do to make it look better. Adding protection above either of those would come from an additional layer of either your NXT2 wax or other liquid/paste wax of choice.

Hope this clears it up for you.

As Mike ******* has said, find something you like and use it often, that's the best way to keep your car looking great.

Regards

Christian

Comment

For machine application, M66 and D151 are pretty hard to beat.

I really like M66.
                          Nick
                          Tucker's Detailing Services
                          815-954-0773
                          2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by chtorr View Post
                            The amount of clear coat removed from using something as mild as ColorX has to be small though. Probably small enough that you could use it as long as you own the vehicle and never have a problem.
                            IIRC (a while back), mike pennington stated that you can use #80 once a month (though we know it wouldn't be needed in most cases) without any clear issues for 10 years. If colorx isn't as aggressive and isn't a paint cleaner like #80, then there shouldn't be any issues with colorx used monthly (though once again, it wouldn't be needed in most cases).

Comment

Originally posted by imacarnut View Post
                              IIRC (a while back), mike pennington stated that you can use #80 once a month (though we know it wouldn't be needed in most cases) without any clear issues for 10 years.
                              I recall reading that post, but I have been unable to find it. Sometimes Google works and sometimes it don't.
                              Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                              --Al Kimel

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');