• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exterior plastic trim treatments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior plastic trim treatments

I'm looking for a product to restore my exterior plastic trim on my 03 Chevy Avalanch. The sun really beats it up. I've tried a number of spray cleaners and they fade out in a week or two.
    Thanks

Re: Exterior plastic trim treatments

Any of the trim detailing products for plastics are good,but if it is so badly weather beaten and neglacted for many years it might only improve it.Getting it back to it's original condition by conventional means might not be possible.

Comment

A cleaner is only going to clean.

What you would want to do is clean with a good cleaner like APC or #39, then dress the trim with a product like the Gold Class Trim Detailer, or All Season Dressing.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I have used Gold Class Trim Detailer and love it. I only use it on the trim around my windshield and my mudflaps, but man the stuff is great. Also at about $3.50 to $4 a bottle it is one of the best "bang for your buck" products that Meguiar's offers.

Just remember that a dressing like Gold Class will only dress the surface and that a textured plastic will never really have that great of protection on it like wax on a painted/clear coated surface.

ADS has it for cheaper, but it looks like they are out of stock. I have seen this at parts stores with better detailing inventories so you might find it OTC somewhere.
        "Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week." Jay-Z

Comment

Thanks I'll try it. What is ADS you refered to?

Comment

AutoDetailingSolutions.net
            Daily - 09 Chevrolet Colorado - Techno gray metallic
            baby - 92 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - aged, yellowed, white.

Comment

After cleaning, you may also wish to apply UQW weekly. I've found that it seems to be a good way to keep the trim from fading. UQW is now one of my most used products.
              Jim
              My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by jfelbab View Post
                After cleaning, you may also wish to apply UQW weekly. I've found that it seems to be a good way to keep the trim from fading. UQW is now one of my most used products.
                UQW is also good for the hard top on my Jeep Wrangler. Even though it's painted, it's a textured satin finish paint and other LSPs smear easily on it and don't seem to buff off very clear. But UQW just leaves it looking clean, and water beads amazingly afterwards.

I never thought to use it on plastic trim also. I'm now going to try that. Glad you mentioned it.

Comment

What is uqw? The plastic trim as i call it cleans up pretty well with a number of products but the top pieces fade out pretty fast. The other problem child is the rubber panels that cover the box on the avalanch. The heat really gets these. In a matter of days the silicon type products are history.
                  Thanks

Comment

UQW is Ultimate Quik Wax.

Comment

Any of the plastic dressings will work good for you. Gold class trim detailer, all season dressing, hyper dressing, M40, anything will work. If you wash your car once a week you can always put another light coat on there to keep it looking good. All season will last the longes I THINK, dont quote me though

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');