• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get rid of dog odor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get rid of dog odor?

I had just recently detailed a client's chevy silverado ss. He had bought the truck used and the previous owner had a dog that would ride along. My client could smell wet dog when it was rainy or humid out. I went over the carpets and mats with apc+ and my hot water extractor. I told him to leave the windows open to let the carpets dry properly and he did. I called him the other day to find out if the smell was still around, and he said it was still noticable(not as pungent) on the humid days that we have been getting rain around here.
    I was considering going over the carpets again with the hot water extractor and apc+ to see if that will take care of it. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts considering I went over the carpets very well when I did them the first time and cant figure out why the odor is still around?

Re: How do you get rid of dog odor?

Could always try the vinegar trick: leave a bowl of vinegar in there for a night or two and see if it doesn't make the odors disappear.
    Shane
    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Originally posted by CieraSL View Post
      Could always try the vinegar trick: leave a bowl of vinegar in there for a night or two and see if it doesn't make the odors disappear.
      Interesting. I have never heard of it. Worth a try.

Comment

Bicarbonate of soda does the same thing. Usual thing would be to leave a box of bicarb open in the fridge. Or sprinkle on carpet, leave for 15 minutes and then vacuum. The bicarb absorbs the odours.

According to http://www.chemistryquestion.com/Eng...king_soda.html
        The mechanism of deodorizing by baking soda is neutralization of acids and bases. So NaHCO3 can remove the acid odour only. It works efficiently in fridges, garbage disposals and footwear cupboards etc.

Not sure if it will work here as it seems rather entrenched. Though perhaps more practical to leave an opened box of bicarb in the car then vinegar.

Cheers

Comment

You could also give the vents a spray of odor eliminator.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Try the Mirror Glaze Line Odor Eliminator. Where in CA are you, I have a gallon and could give you a sample.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
            Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Does the pro line of odor eliminator and the consumer version work the same? I might need a gallon of it myself.

I'll try the vinegar thing tonight after school and report back...my Volvo has a funk that I can't stop.
              NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelCash View Post
                Does the pro line of odor eliminator and the consumer version work the same? I might need a gallon of it myself.

I'll try the vinegar thing tonight after school and report back...my Volvo has a funk that I can't stop.
                I think they are basically the same exact thing, just one is in a gallon.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
                Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

I know its a non-Meguiar's product, but I've had a lot of success with Ozium. It may seem expensive considering how small a can it is sold in, but it does its job well. I usually spray a two short burst (less than a second each) in my coupe: one in the front seat and one in the back. It doesn't mask odors and its somewhat unpleasant smell dissipates in a few minutes leaving an odorless interior in its wake.
                  James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
                  Calais Auto Detailing
                  CalaisDetails@aim.com
                  www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                    You could also give the vents a spray of odor eliminator.
                    Did that along with the carpets, gave it a healthy spraying.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew C. View Post
                      Try the Mirror Glaze Line Odor Eliminator. Where in CA are you, I have a gallon and could give you a sample.
                      Thanks Andrew C, i appreciate it. But i already use the stuff, love it. l give it ago again with oe.

Comment

If the Mirror Glaze product doesn't work, then I would suggest Odo-Ban. I have seen it kill powerful cat urine on a cloth upholstered recliner. It does have a bit of a strong floral odor when it's sprayed on, but it does the job. I see that they have come out with a pet line too of late.

Odo-Ban is found at Sam's Club.
                        r. b.

Comment

Has he changed the cabin air filter? That can also help.
                          -James
                          2012 Chevy Silverado ECSB. Z71 4x4. 5.3

Comment

I tried the vinegar trick last week for a couple nights and it might have helped some....but then my car had a tinge of vinegar the next day.
                            NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

I use Megs Car Odor Eliminator (G2310) quite a lot. It has a very characteristic smell but does get rid of all nasty odors. I can only assume it is the same product as Mirror Glaze Line Odor Eliminator - only that Mirror Glaze is not available in Poland.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');