• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PlastX leaving extremely small Swirls on Headlights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PlastX leaving extremely small Swirls on Headlights?

So today I decided wetsand my headlights with 2500 grit sandpaper to clear it up a little. After wetsanding the headlights using the correct procedures, I used M105, LC Yellow Pad 5.5" and a PCXP at 6 speed to remove the sanding marks.

M105 and the PCXP did a quick and fabulous job at removing all the sanding marks in one pass. I did two more passes to ensure I got even coverage and at this point, the headlights are extremely clear.

As a procedure, I decdied to use PlastX to top it off. I decided on this because ADS sells a Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit that teaches the use of PlastX after M105.

After working PlastX into the headlights for around 3mins non-stop in circular motion and with some passion, i realized that I added more swirls in the headlights than before... I immediately gave the headlights a pass using M105 and the swirls created by PlastX is gone.

Not believing what I see, I gave PlastX another go on the same headlight, more swirls. Some of you may say that I am not working in the product long enough. But trust me, I was literally diminishing everything there was on the pad.

Here is a picture of the swirls created by PlastX:

Excuse the white Infiniti M45 in the background

Re: PlastX leaving extremely small Swirls on Headlights?

I answered your other thread and just seen this one.

I think the problem is just so many different types of plastics out there.

PlastX on another type of headlamp might be fine.

Comment

How were you applying the PlastX?
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Try using M205, as it is less aggressive than Plast X and should probably take them out

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
        Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
          How were you applying the PlastX?
          Meguiar's Yellow Foam Pad, worked product in with high pressure while gradually release pressure until all polishes become clear.

Comment

If you felt like trying again, I'd say start without the high pressure.

Or you could try something like the Cleaner/Wax worked in and removed. You'd have to wait until it wore of a bit to see if it really removed the swirls.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Well I could remove the swirls quite easily with products such as ScratchX, M105 or M205 by hand, etc...

I am just surprised that PlastX would leave scratches on the headlights, especially since that it is a product with diminishing abrasive technology.

Seeing that PlastX is such an aggressive product to remove oxidation and inclarity, it is bound to leave some swirls on the surface despite the DAT. Since I went with the wetsanding route, PlastX could have been avoided by simply using a polish such as M105. Using PlastX after M105 simply makes things worse.

Comment

Hmmm, I'm not really seeing swirls?

I see some pitting, which is to be expected (from normal driving, and not something polish can really help), but no swirls..

In the first picture I do see one isolated scratch slightly above and to the right of the amber light- but that's it.

Can you point them out?

Comment

Yeah, I don't see any swirls. No headlight is going to ever look perfectly clear and flaw free!

I have pitting and other notches and nicks in my Headlights. PlastX and M105 can't really remove those.

Those Headlights look pretty darn good to me!
                  Matt

Comment

Since the LC yellow pad is aggressive, you could always follow it up with a polishing pad to help remove any leftover swirls, etc...

Comment

Plastx seems to work better for me if i don't apply too much pressure... seems that the abrasives breaks down very fast.... resulting in swirls that might be caused by the applicator dry rubbing the surface..

Comment

Originally posted by zaidgreat View Post
                        Plastx seems to work better for me if i don't apply too much pressure... seems that the abrasives breaks down very fast.... resulting in swirls that might be caused by the applicator dry rubbing the surface..
                        I learned that the wasteful way after using a lot of PlastX

the finish comes out relatively better with less pressure. Using an orange LC cutting pad doesn't help either. I thought you're supposed to use passion when applying this stuff...

Comment

My greatest nightmare are the plastic headlight covers on my Honda. PlasticX is not bad but no more so than toothpaste or even glass stovetop cleaner. Answer seems to be in the method. My current method, with the greatest amount of satisfaction, is a cheap ($5) battery operated toothbrush

Comment

Originally posted by ianrayburn View Post
                            My greatest nightmare are the plastic headlight covers on my Honda. PlasticX is not bad but no more so than toothpaste or even glass stovetop cleaner. Answer seems to be in the method. My current method, with the greatest amount of satisfaction, is a cheap ($5) battery operated toothbrush
                            YES.
                            I have a glass stovetop cleaner as well, and it smells and feels in texture almost identical to PlastX.

Is PlastX simply a rebadged Glass Stovetop Cleaner???

Meguiar's Staff. Could you explain the striking similarity? Pure coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
                              YES.
                              I have a glass stovetop cleaner as well, and it smells and feels in texture almost identical to PlastX.

Is PlastX simply a rebadged Glass Stovetop Cleaner???

Meguiar's Staff. Could you explain the striking similarity? Pure coincidence?
                              They are both abrasive-based liquids... of course there is a similarity

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');