• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2500 Grit Sandpaper Grit Removeable by M105 and PCXP on Headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2500 Grit Sandpaper Grit Removeable by M105 and PCXP on Headlights

I currently don't have my drill backing plate and pads with me and I want to wetsand my headlights to remove some of the very minor defects and weathering. The marks are so light that I will be using 2500 grit to wetsand the headlights.

Do you think a PCXP with yellow 5.5" LC pad will work if I were to use M105?

My guess is that it will, with a few passes, because 2500 grit is a very light, and the PCXP is relatively powerful.

Re: Removing 2500grit wetsanding marks with PCXP and Yellow Pad?

I couldn't tell you for sure, but I'm guessing if that fails to remove them, you could always get the Headlight Restore Kit and use the mini wool pad with Plast X on a drill to remove them.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Yup, exactly my thought.

I just thought I'd save a few bucks by using what I currently have at my residency, since I already have the drill kit, just that they are 200 miles away at my warehouse and I won't be heading there until another 5 months or so.

With paint, 2500 grit sanding marks is something even UC and hand should easily remove. I just have never tried it on plastic.

Comment

Just last night i used plastx and a old rag and got rid of 1500 grit sanding mark by hand. It was just a test spot. I would use M105 and an orange pad on plastic in a pinch.

Comment

Yeah, for some reason, I find PlastX really strong as well.

I heard from an experienced painter that old jeans and very coarse rags have as much cutting power as a wool pad.

Comment

Just wetsanded my headlights with 2500 grit paper to remove some 800 grit sandpaper marks caused by the bodyshop. My headlights are due for a wetsand for a while and I believe this is a great time to do it.

Because the area was so small, I cut the sandpaper into a very small piece and use my fingers to press on the sandpaper and sand it.

Sanded it a few strokes and polished the area with PCXP Spd6 LC Yellow 5.5" pad and M105. Sandpaper marks disappear immediately. M105 worked so well that PlastX was not needed. A couple applications of PlastX didn't make much of a difference.

Will post after pictures tonight.

Comment

Re: 2500 Grit Sandpaper Grit Removeable by M105 and PCXP on Headlights

Steps:
              1. Cut off 3M 2500 Grit wetordry Sandpaper to desirable size to fit finger
              2. Soak the sandpaper in a cup of soap water for 2hrs
              3. Clean the headlights with Glass Cleaner + Cloth of choice. Tape Surrounding area
              4. Pour some soapy water from the cup onto the headlight, draw some water to the headlight with sandpaper
              5. Start sanding using even pressure using fingers
              6. Clean off residue with paper towel and glass cleaner
              7. Pour some M105 onto LC CCS Yellow Pad, which is attached to PCXP
              8. Spread product at spd3
              9. Polish at spd6.
              10. Repeat steps if necessary
              11. Apply RainX conservatively.
              12. Behold.

*Note: In these photos, there are some very fine swirls on the headlights as a result of using PlastX. I used the product properly, rubbing it in, and the swirls persist. PlastX is designed to remove heavy oxidation, not as a fine scratch remover. Skip PlastX completely if you have a M105 and a powerful machine.

Do not use waxes or sealants that are labeled as "Do not apply on Plastic/Vinyl/Rubber". Using any sort of paint LSP can cause the clear plastic to turn yellow.

Comment

This whole issue about plastx leaving scratches/swirls,I have found very much depends on the plastic.

Some do and some don't.I have also found,2500 sanding marks can be completly removed with plastx by hand on some plastics and others can't.

the only real problems I've heard with headlights is with the UV coating.I,fortunately havn't had this problem.

Comment

I never thought of that.
                  But what's Ironic is that the car on the bottle sticker of PlastX is a G35, which is my car in this case:

I will do a few more headlights tomorrow and see if that is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
                    I never thought of that.
                    But what's Ironic is that the car on the bottle sticker of PlastX is a G35, which is my car in this case:

I will do a few more headlights tomorrow and see if that is the case.
                    That is funny......

The pictured car is in fact your car!

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');