• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to clean Meguiar's foam buffing pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to clean Meguiar's foam buffing pads

Meguiar's does not recommend washing any of our foam buffing pads either by hand or by machine.

Meguiar's recommends,
    • * Tapping them when they are dry to knock loose any dried product
      * Holding an absorbent terry cloth towel into them when they are wet to absorb excess product out of them.
      * Storing them wet in a zip-lock bag for re-use later
      * Turning the polisher on while holding the foam pad against an absorbent cotton terry cloth towel to transfer excess product into the towel
      * Brushing dried, excess product from the face of the pad using a nylon bristle brush, like a toothbrush for example.

More to come...

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: How to clean Meguiar's foam buffing pads

Originally posted by Mike Phillips

Meguiar's does not recommend washing any of our foam buffing pads either by hand or by machine.

Meguiar's recommends,
    • * Tapping them when they are dry to knock loose any dried product
      * Holding an absorbent terry cloth towel into them when they are wet to absorb excess product out of them.
      * Storing them wet in a zip-lock bag for re-use later
      * Turning the polisher on while holding the foam pad against an absorbent cotton terry cloth towel to transfer excess product into the towel
      * Brushing dried, excess product from the face of the pad using a nylon bristle brush, like a toothbrush for example.

More to come...

Mike
    Mike,
    I just got finished storing the pads I used this weekend and wanted to review the recommended cleaning instructions.

When you say, store them wet in a ziplock bag, Should this bag then be closed up or left open? I would think mold/mildew might be an consideration here. I have left mine open until I hear further.
    Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Morning everyone,

I would like to know aswell

Bryan

Comment

Re: Re: How to clean Meguiar's foam buffing pads

Originally posted by j333_76484
        Mike,
        I just got finished storing the pads I used this weekend and wanted to review the recommended cleaning instructions.

When you say, store them wet in a zip-lock bag, Should this bag then be closed up or left open? I would think mold/mildew might be an consideration here. I have left mine open until I hear further.
        When I compiled the list your cite, I basically tried to think of every way I've ever heard of that people clean and store their foam pads that wouldn't do more harm than good. As far as the bag goes, I think some people have done both, (Store their foam pads wet in a closed bag and an open bag), but I think the idea is to leave them in an open bag where they can dry out but they are covered and thus not exposed to dirt and other contaminants in the air around them.

At Meguiar's we store our used foam pads on cupboards on shelves where they can dry and with the door closed they are not exposed to airborne dirt and other contaminants.

Cleaning foam pads used with dual action polishers is a problem. It's not just a problem for Meguiar's, it's a problem with any foam pad used on a dual action polisher. The reason for this is because when you place some product onto the face of the foam pad, and then place the face of the foam pad onto the surface of your car's finish, and then turn the polisher on, a majority of the product you just placed onto the face of the foam pad was just pushed into the foam pad.

Sure as you use the machine and move it around product is released over the finish, but as you continue to repeat the above steps you will continue to saturate your pad as you move around the car, then comes the question...

"How do you clean the foam pad?"

Since Meguiar's doesn't recommend washing the foam pad getting the product out of the inside of the pad is difficult and to date the best method is to draw it out using pressure with some type of absorbent material to force the excess liquids into the absorbent material.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Hello all,

Presumably that's why you would suggest "dedicated" pads ie 1 pad for 1 product yes?

Bryan

Comment

Mike

What negatives have you or others seen from washing foam buffing pads. I know some have experienced separation of the foam from the felt. Any other issues?
            -Bob
            NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Blr123
              Hello all,

Presumably that's why you would suggest "dedicated" pads ie 1 pad for 1 product yes?

Bryan

Yes, this prevents cross-contamination.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by RDVT4ME
                Mike

What negatives have you or others seen from washing foam buffing pads. I know some have experienced separation of the foam from the felt. Any other issues?

The only issue I've ever seen caused by hand washing is de-lamination of the Velcro material from the foam, they tend not to stay their original color after washing, but the foam seems to work just the same.

We upgraded the adhesive used to hold the Velcro material onto the foam a couple of years ago so every pad being shipped today should have this new adhesive formula that is for sure water resistant and much more resistant to chemicals, heat and the wear and tear associated with the oscillating action of the dual action polisher on the 5.0 setting.

I have collected up three large boxes of foam pads used during our Detailing classes on Saturday's to experiment with washing using different soaps, the problem like usual is carving out the time as with forum growth it's really all I can do to keep up with the current duties and behind the scenes work, so adding new projects is difficult.

I know one thing for sure however, washing compounds, paint cleaners, cleaner/polishes and pure polishes will wash out with soap and water fairly easily, however when it comes to removing wax, especially the NXT and the M21 Synthetic Sealant, it's always going to be very tough to remove these products as they are water and detergent resistant.

In fact if you've ever tried to rinse out a foam wax applicator after using either of these two product you will have noticed how difficult it is to get all of the wax out of the pad and when it does come out it's not breaking up in the water, just coming out as a slimy ooze.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I have some helpful input on this topic...

First, one of the reasons washing foam pads with detergents is not a good idea is due to the fact that some cleaning chemicals can change what is called "compression strengh." In simple terms, this means the bounce-back or resistance of the foam to compression. After washing, with altered compression strengh, the foam pad may not perform as it should.

Second, the best pad maintenance program is this...
                  - Use dedicated pads for each product
                  - Don't use too much product. Common mistake. We all use way too much product. A build up on a pad is counter-productive, and simply more to clean off later.
                  - To clean after use, place the pad face down on a microfiber towel. Roll up the towel really tight, kind of like your wringing out a chamois. The compression will squeeze out excess product and the microfiber towel will soak it out. (wash the mf towel)
                  - Place the foam pad in a clean dry cabinet or box FACE DOWN. Air tight is not neccassary, but free from airborn particulate is important. Plastic bags are good for the mobile detailer folks...not sealed. Need to allow any chemicals to out-gas off the pad. But again, in a box with a lid. Not an open crate.

Hope this information helps...

Jason "Waxman" Rose
                  Field Marketing Manager: Professional
                  Meguiar's, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by RDVT4ME
                    Mike

I have washed my pads many, many times with no problems that I can visually see.... I did have my oldest (3-4 years) pad separate from the Velcro but of the 6-7 I have that is the only failure.

As Jason Rose has posted it could be changing the pads "compression strength"... that I have no way of testing that but it is entirely possible.

Once I see a problem with a pad I will replace it. I just can't afford to have one pad for each product.... I do too much "experimenting" with Meguiars products.

How about this Meguiars.... one free 6.5" Polishing pad OR Finishing pad with the purchase of a pro line product.
                    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Of course, having one pad for each product could get expensive for some, especially users that use 6.5inch AND 8inch pad systems.

The next best thing is to keep pad usage aligned with major product categories. For example, if you use a W8000 Polishing pad with a polish...dedicate that pad to the polish category, and not use it with a wax or paint cleaner/compound. Use that W8000 pad with a variety of polishes.

Paint cleaners/compounds...polishes...and waxes...all have different chemistry. Best to segregate pads used with each of these product categories.

Waxman

Comment

Jason,

Not to go off-topic too far... how do you like your new Avatar?
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

To really thoroughly consider this Avatar...you need to send me the actual can for closer evaluation.
                          Waxman

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Rose
                            To really thoroughly consider this Avatar...you need to send me the actual can for closer evaluation.
                            Waxman

What can of wax?
                            Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Not sure if this is even an issue, but I wonder if it's possible for the felt to shrink up just a little after a pad's been washed & air dried.

If so, then that might have been part of the cause of certain pad/velcro failures in the past?.......Not to mention that it could cause a pad to look a little bowl shaped too.

Just thinking out loud.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit: I did have a pad to mold up on me one time. I washed it, then let it air dry (or so I thought it was dry), and then I stored it in a sealed bag.

The next time I went to use it, it was so moldy that my pad was destroyed.

It was one of those screw-on type pads.
                              Last edited by rusty bumper; Sep 19, 2005, 02:11 PM.
                              r. b.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');