• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old M21 vs. NEW M21 2.0 Synthetic Sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old M21 vs. NEW M21 2.0 Synthetic Sealant

Hello,

New to the forum, but I've done some extensive searching and haven't really been able to find much of an explanation of the difference between these two products i.e #21 vs #21 2.0. Also looking for some anecdotal evidence of any differences between the two product versions in terms of performance. Thanks!

Re: Old M21 vs. NEW M21 2.0 Synthetic Sealant

First of all welcome to mol.

Now on to the differences of the 2. Basically the 2.0 version has the Hydrophobic properties and the original version does not.

Performance wise they are both very durable. I prefer the 2.0 version because of the hydrophobic technology.
    quality creates its own demand

Comment

I also believe the original M21 lacked the extra ingredients that make the M21 2.0 rotary friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
        First of all welcome to mol.

Now on to the differences of the 2. Basically the 2.0 version has the Hydrophobic properties and the original version does not.

Performance wise they are both very durable. I prefer the 2.0 version because of the hydrophobic technology.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply!! Just wondering if the Hydrophobic properties are actually a noticeable feature or just a marketing gimmick...just wondering because I can get the non 2.0 M21 for about $7 cheaper.

Comment

I'm in the minority here, but I really don't care about the hydrophobic qualities of the new Meguiar's products. All waxes and sealants cause water to bead or sheet. I do not choose a wax because it beads "better" than another wax. The hydrophobic qualities of NXT may be cool, but for me. it's not significantly cooler as to make it important in my decision-making. But that is just personal preference, and I know I'm in the minority. What is decisively important to me is appearance--shine, gloss, depth, clarity, wetness, etc. I am looking for that certain "extra." If I don't see that "extra," then all the beading in the world won't compensate. But as I said, that is just my personal preference.

Cheers,
          Al
          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
          --Al Kimel

Comment

The 2.0 is supposed to be more durable. I have had fewer issues with the 2.0 version streaking compared to the original.

If you go with the original #21, you can remove the streaking after the #21 cures with either UQD or #135.

RamAirV1
            2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
            2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

There are some interesting tidbits of info on Hydrophobe at Wikipedia and there's plenty of research into this topic but most revolve around the surface itself and not a coating placed on top of it. To quote from Wikipedia:

Examples of hydrophobic molecules include the alkanes, oils, fats, and greasy substances in general.
              So in other words, wax and silicone oils ARE hydrophobic, but this of course does not mean that the geniuses behind Megs products have not found a new ingredient that boosts the hydrophobic trait in waxes/sealants. Then again, it also does not prove that the Megs marketing department havn't been flipping through the dictionary.

I've got the 2.0 version of this product and it will be the base coat underneath 2 coats of M16 come this fall when I head into 7 months of "It's too dang cold to detail"!

Regards

Christian aka

Kaptain "I'm phobic about not being able to detail my car" Zero

Comment

The difference between the original and 2.0 are mainly the Hydrophobic technology. This is just amazing. I love how it works. The newer version is also safe on use with rotary. I would definitely go with 2.0 over the original.
                Matt

Comment

I acciddently purchased M21 1.0 in a 64oz jug about a week ago. I'll still use it.
                  Nick
                  Tucker's Detailing Services
                  815-954-0773
                  2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                    I acciddently purchased M21 1.0 in a 64oz jug about a week ago. I'll still use it.
                    Yeah, it's still an excellent product, just about all Meguiars are.
                    Matt

Comment

I was also skeptical about the hydrophobic properties. But the sheeting action is amazing. For me it is worth the extra money.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Just spoke to a distributor who told me he had asked his Meguiars rep what the difference was, and the rep said the only thing different was the label. Just thought I'd throw that in the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by ljbrandt View Post
                          Just spoke to a distributor who told me he had asked his Meguiars rep what the difference was, and the rep said the only thing different was the label. Just thought I'd throw that in the discussion.
                          NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                            I also believe the original M21 lacked the extra ingredients that make the M21 2.0 rotary friendly.
                            Just wondering if that ingredient might be more "oils". Am using the trial & error, don't yet know exactly what I am doing technique. Appreciate all the examples of quality work and experience I see here on MOL.
                            Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
                            by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');