• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wish we had a Meguiar's chemist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I wish we had a Meguiar's chemist

Someone needs to get with HowStuffWorks.com and make a dedicated article on "How Car Wax Works" and have sections for both synthetic and organic. They have a billion other articles; some which are less practical and interesting than How Car Wax Works. I might try and contact them about this.
    -HealthyCivic
    Check out the glossary

Comment

I still wish Megs would invite one of the chemists to respond to our most common questions. Mother's has a "Dr Chemist." Why not Meguiar's? It would strengthen the forum and all of our IQs would improve.
      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
      --Al Kimel

Comment

I'll toss my vote in there. I'm all for more knowledge!

Comment

If some did post, I doubt they would discuss chemistry questions. People spend a lot of time dissecting chemistry and make conclusions. I am sure some competitors are just looking for the extra angle to use against Meg's like the petroleum distillates and silicone topics. It is more often prudent just to not get into the discussions.

The only chemist I know that has openly discussed chemistry is Optimum's chemist.
          Al
          ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

I think the best that Meguiar's could do would be to have a chemist help author (or author) a "How things work" section explaining in general how the different products work. They could listen for feedback, comments, and suggestions for new articles. Putting a chemist on the forum would likely lead to people asking questions that they wouldn't want to answer 70% of the time. You guys all know how the forums go. It starts with a simple question and 2 pages later, it gets into the gory details. Having this happen in as many threads as it would, it would start to degrade the quality of the forum. This is probably why Meguiar's hasn't already done it.
            -HealthyCivic
            Check out the glossary

Comment

Originally posted by Bunky View Post
              If some did post, I doubt they would discuss chemistry questions. People spend a lot of time dissecting chemistry and make conclusions. I am sure some competitors are just looking for the extra angle to use against Meg's like the petroleum distillates and silicone topics. It is more often prudent just to not get into the discussions.

The only chemist I know that has openly discussed chemistry is Optimum's chemist.
              I don't think they are looking for specific's on how Meguiar's products work, but just general "How things work" about waxes and such. Anyone making wax, I'd have to assume, would know these basics already.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
                I don't think they are looking for specific's on how Meguiar's products work, but just general "How things work" about waxes and such. Anyone making wax, I'd have to assume, would know these basics already.
                I agree. Just general information like any other topic.

Live chat, making an article or something like it would be awesome

Comment

For example: I would like a chemist to explain to me how a carnauba wax bonds to the paint surface and how this is different from the way a synthetic sealant bonds to the paint surface. I know that I don't NEED to know this in order to do a good detailing job ... but I'd still like to know.

I'd also like our chemist to explain to me whether it is possible to "layer" a wax or sealant and whether it is beneficial to try to do so.

In other words, I'm curious in the science behind all of this. Please don't tell me that I should simply "trust" the manufacturer. I don't trust any manufacturers. My default assumption is that they are simply out to make money and will say whatever they need to say to make money. However, I'm happy to have my assumption disproven.
                  Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                  --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                    In other words, I'm curious in the science behind all of this. Please don't tell me that I should simply "trust" the manufacturer. I don't trust any manufacturers. My default assumption is that they are simply out to make money and will say whatever they need to say to make money. However, I'm happy to have my assumption disproven.
                    That's a bold statement to make on a manufacturer sponsored forum. Although I am not paranoid, I agree with this assumption.

I would imagine that the bonding properties of Carnauba or any sealant or glaze would be a proprietary secret.

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                      For example:
                      You think a Meguiar's chemist is going to say anything that doesn't 100% fall in line with what a Meguiar's rep. would say? Trusting a Meguiar's chemist is exactly the same as "trusting the manufacturer".

It's not really a "trust" issue. If you buy it and it doesn't work you send it back. See, no trust needed!
                      Jason

Comment

Sunscreen products? Many of today's products claim to have sunscreen ability. Can you expand on that a bit? What's the difference between a wax/polish with sunscreen and one without? (besides the obvious silly one).
                        Barry

Comment

I experimented and made my own car wax once, that count?

Still remember the recipie if anyone wants it :p

Not that It compared to meguiars or anything, but it worked pretty good and I had a bit of fun with it

Comment

A chemist should reply to some posts if for no other reason then to explane the whys and werefors of waxes, sealants and other chemicals. A lot of people on detailing forums have no idea on what there doing. They work harder then they have too. Nobody needs 6 steps to get the paint right.

Comment

I think Mike Stoops is our "bridge" to get some tough questions answered by one of the chemists.

I remember in past Mike sat down with Jason Rose and gave us full report back on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Poki View Post
                                Sunscreen products? Many of today's products claim to have sunscreen ability. Can you expand on that a bit? What's the difference between a wax/polish with sunscreen and one without? (besides the obvious silly one).
                                To determine a sunscreen's sun protection factor (SPF) testers chose 20 sun-sensitive people and measure the amount of UV rays it takes them to burn without sunscreen. Then they redo the test with sunscreen. The "with sunscreen" number is divided by the "without sunscreen" number, and the result is rounded down to the nearest five. This is the sun protection factor (SPF)

Some car care manufacturers are using an SPF number to rate the ultra violet (UV) protection of their paint protection products, I would be interested as to how these numbers were arrived at.

Be cognizant that an applied paint protection is less than 0.1 µ; so the suggestion that a clear coating this thin could provide protection from ultra violet protection is based more on marketing hype than scientific fact.

The clear coat 48 µ (1.9 mil) provides gloss plus physical protection from the elements, including ultraviolet (UV) radiation

~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');