• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW: What size pads do you use? (Updated 2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW: What size pads do you use? (Updated 2009)

I noticed the previous poll was quite dated and only had the option of 6 or 8 inch pads. So this poll is now updated with options that more realistically outline the options we have today.

NOTE THAT I ENABLED MULTIPLE OPTIONS...if you feel that 2 or 3 choices fit you, by all means, choose those!
    I like to use the tried and true 6.5 inch pads
    21.84%
    I love the new 2.0 7 inch pads and use them most
    21.84%
    Give me the old school 8 inch pads please!
    2.30%
    I can't live without my 3.5 or 4 inch small pads!
    12.64%
    I like my pads big (6.5/7 inch) AND small (3.5/4 inch)
    28.74%
    I use and NEED them all: 3.5/4/5.5/6.5/7/8 inch
    12.64%

Re: NEW: What size pads do you use? (Updated 2009)

I checked the new 2.0 pads.
    quality creates its own demand

Comment

+1 for the 2.0 pads.
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I've never tried the new pads. Do you need a new backing plate for the 2.0 pads?
        r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper View Post
          I've never tried the new pads. Do you need a new backing plate for the 2.0 pads?
          the W68 backing plate is designed for the 2.0 pads. But the W67 will work fine too. I have used the W67 with the 2.0 pads and they work great,
          Nick
          Tucker's Detailing Services
          815-954-0773
          2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
            the W68 backing plate is designed for the 2.0 pads. But the W67 will work fine too. I have used the W67 with the 2.0 pads and they work great,
            Thanks Tuck!

I'll consider them the next time I order.
            r. b.

Comment

man use the 2.0 pads.. very nice no question ask!
              MEGUIAR'S NXT 2.0 WAX
              MEGUIAR'S QUICK DETAILER
              LONG LIVE PINOY!!!
              GOD MADE EVERYTHING, BUT EVERYTHING'S ARE MADE IN CHINA

Comment

sick hyperdunks beb0.

I voted for the 2.0 but i want a smaller backing plate and pads for the tight spots
                "Every moment frontin and maxin
                Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
                "

Comment

I only have the 2.0 pads. I haven't had my g110 for long.
                  I have plenty of foam and even coat applicators for edges, tight spots and very concave areas.
                  Daily - 09 Chevrolet Colorado - Techno gray metallic
                  baby - 92 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - aged, yellowed, white.

Comment

After using 5.5" pads on the PC, I'll never use a larger pad. 4" and 5.5" pads on the PC

Comment

I voted use them all, I am waiting on the smaller backing plate and pad for smaller areas, use some 6.5 lake country, and also waiting on a few meguiars 2.0 7" pads. So I will be varying my usage

Comment

After using 5.5" pads on the PC, I'll never use a larger pad. 4" and 5.5" pads on the PC
                        Where do you buy those pads and backing plate? Can you really do a lot more correction with 4" on DA? i know the smaller pad on the DA is more aggressive and the bigger pad on the Rotary the more aggressive.

Comment

Originally posted by H.E.D View Post
                          Where do you buy those pads and backing plate? Can you really do a lot more correction with 4" on DA? i know the smaller pad on the DA is more aggressive and the bigger pad on the Rotary the more aggressive.
                          Autogeek sells both the 3.5" DA Backing plate and 4" pads

Comment

Most of the pads I use are in the 6 to 6.5 range. This size allows me better control during paint correction and is just right for 95% of the situations I encounter.
                            BobbyG

Comment

Foam Pad Size (Area and Applied Pressure)

Different pad sizes can have an impact on how the buffer breaks down a polish, as it applies its dynamic friction over less area, control, better manoeuvrability, and how fast you can cover an area. Smaller pads in general will offer you more control with any buffer, as it can reduce the tendency for the buffer to hop or skip on the paint. Smaller pads also make it easier to manoeuvre buffers in tighter areas and closer to trim pieces.

Smaller pads in general will offer you more control, as it can reduce the tendency for the buffer to skip on the paint surface. Smaller pads also make it easier to manoeuvre in tighter areas and closer to trim pieces.

Assuming equal speed, radius and foam compression (50% - 15 pounds of force applied) the difference between 4- inch and 6 - inch pads is their different surface area = π (r2) (4-inch = 12.46 sq.ins / 6-inch = 28.26 sq.ins) and therefore surface kinetic (or dynamic) friction applied and surface pressure applied 4-inch = 3.75 lbs per sq.ins. 6-inch = 2.5 lbs per sq.ins.
                              ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');