• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

engine cleaning good or bad business ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine cleaning good or bad business ?

Hi I own a mobile detailing business here in Tampa Florida called "Karma Detailing". Does anybody think i should add this to my menu? I dont currently do it. Also i know how to clean without water if its not dirty i.e. new cars, but to get a dirtyer one to shine would that be wort the risks??? I would really like to know how to do it like mike!! but afraid to practice on any engine!! Thanks everyone. Dead Head
    Jason

Hi Karma,

In all my years of detailing cars, I never offered any engine detailing services. A couple of reason,
    • 1) Messy. Grease and oil rinsing off onto the ground. I'm sure Florida must have some rules or regulations as to how and where you do this.

2) It always includes a degree of risk (Electrical components and other moisture and water sensitive parts)

Perhaps Superior Shine and DETLMAN will chime in with their years of experience running their own detailing businesses.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

No engine cleaning here. I do my personnal vehicles only.

99.99% of my clients don't care about engine cleaning. The ones that do care get refered to the local car wash with a steam cleaner.
      Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Hey Karma,

I have to agree. I stay away from engine detailing and only detail paint. Part of the problem, as Mike mentioned, is the risk factor.

For example, take the 3.0 L Nissan engine found in older Pathfinders, Quests and Mercury Villagers. The back three spark plugs are in a recessed area. This area has a habit of holding a LOT of water when washing the engine. This is not a good thing!!

In my eyes, it is not worth the risk.

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Not worth the risk, mess or money...

Lynn
          Lynn Matthews

Comment

THANKS EVERYONE ! my dad was a nissan mechanic for 20 years or more and doesnt believe in it! Just wanted to see what yall had to say `bout this one. Also good point about doing personal vehicle but not anyone else. Thanks again!
            Jason

Comment

Hey,

That is interesting! My dad was a GM mechanic for over 20+ years and does not recommend washing the engine either.

Did you ask your dad about the Nissan 3.0L engine I mentioned? I have a feeling he will know about the location of the rear plugs I was referring too!

Tim

Comment

I've been detailing cars for just over 45 years. I never want to detail the engine compartment for the reasons already mentioned. If my customer insists, I make them sign a waver releasing me from any liability for damage. I warn them that there is a high rate of problems that can arise from the cleaners and water. I do my own personal cars but I know what I can safely do and don't let them get all that dirty.
                Jim
                My Gallery

Comment

Good question! I agree with the posts. I don't have a full time business like others, but the local shops do offer this service. At first I thought I was not offering a truly full detail without this service. After talking to my clients, they understand and most don't really care about under the hood anyway. I do wipe down black plastic and hoses with Hyper Dressing as a courtesy though. That alone will improve the appearance of the engine bay. I also hit the jamb under the hood.

Comment

WHOOOOOOO KARMA!!!!!!!

Dear Karma ,
                    I am a detailer and I have done The engine of a 04' lexus to a 89' Honda. I do engine detailing all the time! the motors these days are so well sealed that it is almost impossible to get water in there. I see were you are coming from though the main thing is to cover th air cleaner and any open electrical terminals and dont spray on wires you will be OK and use a loe preasure setting if you are using a power washer. The law in CA is to not let the water go into storm drains. It is agreat way to expand your business if you are careful. You can read my other article "keep that engine clean" I think you should look into it and stert offering it. Good Luck!
                    jeff Burrows
                    JB's Executive Detailing "Protecting your investment"

Comment

and actually its quite important to clean the engine because of the following benefits
                      Easier to spot leaks
                      Motor dissipates heat better
                      Helps keep corrosion down in the engine compartment
                      And you can brag about a pretty motor.

Comment

I agree with last 2 post. Keeping a clean engine can help you notice leaks and prevent problems down the road. Most of your problems with electrical problems after washing is poor preparing of these parts. I like to a step further and take a aircompressor and blow out and dry this areas . Alot of corrison happens because there left wet.

As far as your run offs check with your local epa office for info for your area.
                        Jeff

Comment

I have and currently do engine detailing and have NEVER had a problem, that is not to say it can't happen but hey you can make a mistake with the paint too!! the main thing is to not use crazy pressure and keep the spray of water away form electrical connections.
                          I think it is largely and old myth as engines have improved light years and think when you are driving on a rainy night where does the water go !! all over the motor thats how it gets dirty, a motor is made to resitst a certain amount of water, I mean if you where to drop it in a pool thats a different story. THe main reason I do it and have done it to my cars and customers cars is not only does it look better it also runs better and componets will last longer. As what causes most mechanical failures is a wearing out of componets, Sand, grit and drit loaded grease will not help parts move more smoothly. As what happens when something gets dirty it creates friction. Not only that! if you live in the northern states or Canada you are just asking for trouble if you leave the salt sitting in the engine compartment.

too put it simply I can understand peoples concerns but I think they are bassed on a time when engines were not so water proof.

You can also notice leaks and other problems earlier on before its a major issue, all dealerships do it even if they don't recommend it to you, otherwise how do you think that used car got such a clean motor...........no it wasn't because it was driven by an old lady to church on sunday and always garaged....! (I love when they use that) Anyway just my thought would love to hear what others say.
                          Last edited by matt; Feb 21, 2005, 07:16 PM.
                          Sometimes the facts are just other peoples opinions....! ha!

Comment

Just out of personal curiosity, 2hotford and Karma, did your dads say why they wouldn't recommend washing out the engine bay?

Comment

Hey,

*JeepZJlover I think everyone reading this thread should realize that you are only 17 years old, and most likely have very limited experience in detailing engines. Therefore, it would be wise for members to take advice with caution.

My comments are more from my personal experience rather than anything else. But, I wanted to also give the personal point of view from actual certified mechanics rather than just heresay. So while my family may be biased in their opinion, (whose family isn't ?) I used the information as a general comment only.

To clarify, my father worked for GM for 20 years and my brother has worked for now 29 years, also for GM. Both agree that while the connectors may be sealed against water, water still has a way of getting in to the odd connector when you least expect it. They prefer to wipe down the engine bay by hand, as do I. However, if you take it to a dealer to be cleaned and they damage something, the dealer will usually deal with the problem.

I can give you personal examples as well. The Nisson 3.0L engine collects water as the plugs are recessed. If you talk with Ford, the Triton engines also seem to dislike water especially around the coil. Pro Wax a well known company that supplies detailing products largely to Body Shops and dealerships, makes a special non-corrosive cleaner specifically designed to deal with the sensitive electronics on today's vehicles. Here's a link

Pro wax is a professional quality automotive finish and detailing company. Pro wax is dedicated to the production and manufacturing of automotive wax, car polish, compounds, and more.

Modern engines, though sealed better and have far better technology, there are also a ton of new sensors under the hood that the older engines did not have to contend with. So, I guess it is a double edged sword.

Now, I have stated before that this is my personal opinion based on personal experience. Moreover, I have also commented that while I would not do it, some do, and have had few problems. That is the risk that a person must decide whether or not they wish to deal with.

This is an opinion thread. Moreover, let's keep it friendly.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');