• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light scratch

How is it that scratches are fixed by products like Swirl-X or those handheld machines?

Since I'm reading on all this crazy stuff, aren't you ruining the clearcoat by using a machine and what not? How does it work, does it spread the paint around or something?

I should add sorry for the stupid questions, but I never realized how addicted I'd become over my new car and after reading some of the posts on here.
    My gfs are calling me a tomboy now because I'm telling them what they should be doing with their cars. lol

Re: Light scratch

Welcome to MOL

I'm sure others'll weigh in but here's a great description on removing scratches...

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything:

Comment

Hi Belinda.There is no spreading of the paint.The process involves actuall removal of material surrounding the scratch,or 'cutting',in order to make the surface level again.

There's obviously a limit to what can be done.If a scratch is too deep,it can only be improved and not removed.Things like swirls and light scratches that are not too deep are okay,because you are removing very little material,but if you're working with clearcoat,for example and the scratch is below the level of the clearcoat,then you can't safely remove it.

Comment

Mine is very, very light it seems.
        I suppose I'll take it to a pro detailer and get an opinion.
        Ill try to post a picture when it stops raining today or tomorrow.

Comment

Belinda,

Have you tried using your finger nail to see if you can feel the groove? If you can't feel it, and it is "very very light" as you describe then you should get some ScratchX 2.0 and a small foam applicator and take care of it yourself.

It's very simple and easy.

Comment

Hi Mark, yes when I run my nail across it it's a very light groove, nothing overly bad thankfully.
            I'll get that Swirl-X today and do it tomorrow when the rain stops.
            Thank you

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');