• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1986 Porsche 944

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Porsche 944

I just bought this car, and it was swirl city. It's 23 years old now, and as far as I can tell has never been garaged. The PO lived in the city and had street parking, so I know that it hasn't been garaged for at least the last 4 1/2 years, and the first owner was a school teacher who probably never took much care of the finish either. There are still some more serious defects that I just didn't have a chance to deal with completely today, but I'll get to them eventually (I hope). There are still some rather severe waterspots, bird etchings, and RIDS, but about 95% of the swirls are gone!
    Process was M83 on a W6006 pad used at speed 3-5 on the G100 DA. That was followed with M7 applied by hand, and finished up with Gold Class Paste.
    Just after washing:

Swirl pictures:

This one really shows the condition of the paint:

This one too:

Bird etching on the hood:

RIDS on the hood:

The roof was chock full of bonded contaminants...the car has likely never been clayed in 23 years of ownership. This is the clay after a section of roof about one foot square:

And some afters:

gee...you cant tell where the masking tape was, can you?

I brightened this shot up to show the reflection better in my dark garage:

Little bit better

Hood reflecting the rainy outside world:

The M7 REALLY made a difference on this paint, it was well worth the extra step. It usually isn't for me, but it dramatically darkened the black paint on this Porsche.

Thanks for looking!
    If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to record the event, how can you be certain that there was a tree or even a forest to begin with?

Re: 1986 Porsche 944

Great work, 98% correction is better than no correction at all.
    2006 San Remo Red WRX TR
    2005 Ford Ranger XLT

Detailers clean places nobody see. Detailer see's things nobody else see. But if you ask a Detailer to see how a dress looks on a woman, they are blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Caress Detailing View Post
      Great work, 98% correction is better than no correction at all.
      My thoughts exactly. This poor car had been taken through a tunnel wash every month for at least the past 4 1/2 years by the PO...
      I didn't think I was really making any progress until I peeled the tape off the seams, then I almost fell down!
      If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to record the event, how can you be certain that there was a tree or even a forest to begin with?

Comment

Expecting to be able to achieve 100% correction on a 23 year old car that has been driven is not reasonable. Aside from the RIDS and pitting (out of your control), it looks absolutely flawless. Stunning work, well done!

Comment

Great save. That is a huge improvement. It looks great.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Looks great considering the model.
            Learning new things everyday

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
              Expecting to be able to achieve 100% correction on a 23 year old car that has been driven is not reasonable. Aside from the RIDS and pitting (out of your control), it looks absolutely flawless. Stunning work, well done!
              I know that it's unreasonable, doesn't make me want it any less
              The RIDS on the hood pass the fingernail test, so I will be able to remove them with enough time...I'll probably go wit UC to remove them and polish out the hazing and bottle-of-rocks syndrome with M9 or even scratch x. Should work out. If not, then I have reduced RIDS .

Thank you all for the kind words! This is really my first successful polishing, so it makes me feel good :-D

Comment

Great work Justin.Excellent if was your first big job.

Came really nice for a 23 year old car.

Comment

Looks great! Nice job!

How many clay bars did you go through?
                  Shane
                  1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Originally posted by CieraSL View Post
                    Looks great! Nice job!

How many clay bars did you go through?
                    1/3 of a clay bar . I'm cheap. I had one bar left from one of the smooth surface clay kits, broke it into three pieces. I'll probably use the other two when I finish the car up. It's all in knowing how to be a poor college kid

Comment

haha i had a red 88 porsche you should check out in the show off forum. looks great you did an amazing job. mine didnt start or finish quite as well.

Comment

Originally posted by redhotchevy2000 View Post
                        haha i had a red 88 porsche you should check out in the show off forum. looks great you did an amazing job. mine didnt start or finish quite as well.
                        Thanks!

I'm not totally happy with the finish as it is now, I'm starting to look into restoration facilities...there's a pretty good car show up here in NH every year and I would really like to enter next year. If I had entered this year, it would have been the only Porsche there and would have taken Best of Make by default, but I would really like to earn it.
                        I found a guy in my town that does custom work, he quoted me about $5,000 for a full body restoration using OE Glasurit paint ...I could live with the slightly faded paint, it's the door dings that are killing me.

Was your experience with the '88 similar to mine - insanely soft paint that swirls when you look at it abrasively?

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');