• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Large Yellow Stains on White Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Yellow Stains on White Car

We bought a White 1968 Karmann Ghia Convertible in April. The previous owner had it in storage for 12 years with a car cover over it. When we got the car we noticed large yellow stains all over the car. We are wondering what would be the best way to remove these stains. Any help would be appreciated.

I have attached a pic. The left side is the yellow portion. The right side is the color of the car.

Thanks
    Janell

Re: Large Yellow Stains on White Car

Looks like oxidation or possibly something from the car cover. Are you working by hand or machine?
    AeroCleanse, LLC
    Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
    www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Any more zoomed out pic?

The thing to do would be to start at the basics, wash, clay, and then use a paint cleaner like SwirlX on a test area. See if it fixes or improves anything, take pics for us, etc, and check back.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by AeroCleanse View Post
        Looks like oxidation or possibly something from the car cover. Are you working by hand or machine?
        Both, we have a Orbital Waxer and Polisher

Comment

Originally posted by JGW View Post
          Both, we have a Orbital Waxer and Polisher
          Those are only good for waxing

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
            Any more zoomed out pic?

The thing to do would be to start at the basics, wash, clay, and then use a paint cleaner like SwirlX on a test area. See if it fixes or improves anything, take pics for us, etc, and check back.
            We have washed, dried and have tried the Ice Clay Kit, Heavy duty rubbing compound, and the polishing compound. No such luck.

Here are some more pics of the car. I am uploading new images to my photobucket account right now. I can post them in the message when they are done.

http:// s322.photobucket.com/albums/nn410/jwillyg/68%20Ghia/ (Copy and paste into your browser to view this page)
            Last edited by Markus Kleis; Jul 5, 2009, 04:29 PM. Reason: No clickable links before 30 posts

Comment

There are a couple of spot on the front fender near the headlight.

Comment

I can't see the spots from that pic.The only thing i notice is the nearer car is more of an 'off white' compared to the next car.But there is nothing unusual about that either.
                There does appear to be a slight off color on the fender,but it's very faint,so I don't know if that's what i'm supposed to be looking at?
                Last edited by Eddie6th; Jul 5, 2009, 08:48 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

i've been spending a bit of time.I think i see what you are talking about(thought it was my monitor).It's like one large stain and a smaller stain under it.

You said that you already tried claying and cleaner/polish. That's the same as what I would have done.

Did any process improve it at all?

Comment

Were you using Turtle Wax products? If so dump them. They don't work as well as Meguiar's products. Try using the Meguiar's Smooth Surface clay kit, pick up some Swirl X or Ultimate Compound and see if that will remove the staining, then seal it with the wax or sealant of your choice. I've seen staining like that on white cars before, and usually it's caused by the chemicals in automatic car washes. That type of staining can usually be removed with a mild paint cleaner. But clay your car first (with good clay - the Ice Liquid Claybar is a joke, IMO) and then use the paint cleaner.
                    Shane
                    1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');