• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Full Detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Full Detail

A co-worker of mine was moving to FL, so I told him that I would detail his Envoy as a going away present. It was a gift for him and practice for me -- this was my first full detail on a car that doesn't belong to me. We had to work it into a tight schedule so I only had one night two days before he left. Heavy rain kept me from taking really good pictures, but I think you will have a good idea of what I had to work with.

The process:
    1. Wash with GC
    2. Pull the truck into the garage before the rain starts
    3. Remove massive amounts of junk from the interior. Separate into obvious trash, likely trash, and probably stuff to keep piles (I let him sort it all out later)
    4. APC, brush, and vacuum the interior. Really, really bad to look at and smell.
    5. Dress the interior with Turtle Wax Ice interior gel goo.
    6. Windows -- couldn't see through all the dog and kid slime.
    7. Clay the hood and roof - The paint felt really dry until I realized it was just baked on dirt. My friend does not wash his car... ever.
    8. M105 on yellow pad with G110 for the hood, roof, and several other areas (spot treated).
    9. M205 the entire truck on yellow pad with G110
    10. Wax with NXT 2.0
    11. Endurance Tire Gel

I was a sprint to the finish, I really wanted to spend more time with it, but all I had was 8 hours (finished at 2:30am). My friend was a sport and hung out for the end. All in all, I think it was a success. At least he has a fresh coat of wax to help out against the FL summer sun.

Now the pics...

Before

Suntan lotion

Tried to capture the paint as best I could. I really think taking pictures of the detail is harder than the detail itself.

Test spot

Tried to get a shot of the paint across the hood, and yes I know... there isn't a towel under the bottle.

Afters

Door Panel

I like the way this one came out...

Now for the interior shots

And all the stuff I was talking about!

So, I am pretty happy with the results, and I fully expect my friend to read this thread, so some of the comment are meant to , all in fun of course.

I know that I have a lot to learn and would love to hear you comments and critiques. Thanks for looking.
    Greg D.

2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Imperial Blue
    2008 Chevy Suburban LT - Black

Re: My First Full Detail

Some people, you can only try and help.. good job.

Of course when you have proper time, clay everything, 2 thin coats of wax are best, and no more Turtle Wax

You might want to look into some kind of cleaner/wax for when things like this come up. #66 or D151 would be good starts.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Looks like you did a good job!
      Sleepy

Love the Classics!

Comment

Huge improvement. It looks a lot better. I bet your friend was happy.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Quite the monster to tackle as your first job, and for a gift! :O He probably doesn't know how good of a friend he has.

Kudos

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
            Some people, you can only try and help.. good job.

Of course when you have proper time, clay everything, 2 thin coats of wax are best, and no more Turtle Wax

You might want to look into some kind of cleaner/wax for when things like this come up. #66 or D151 would be good starts.
            Thanks. When I build up my stock of product, I will add some sort of one-step cleaner/wax.

Originally posted by sleepy View Post
            Looks like you did a good job!
            Thanks.

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
            Huge improvement. It looks a lot better. I bet your friend was happy.
            My friend was happy and his wife noticed as well, so I would call it a success.

Originally posted by HCAD View Post
            Quite the monster to tackle as your first job, and for a gift! :O He probably doesn't know how good of a friend he has.

Kudos
            Thanks, if he doesn't... maybe he will after he reads all of you comments.
            Greg D.

Comment

you really brought that green Metallic back to life.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
                you really brought that green Metallic back to life.

Thanks, it was fun working with a pain color other black.
                Greg D.

Comment

Nice job!
                  Shane
                  1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Looks great. When you say yellow pad was that the meguiars pad? If so is the yellow the polishing or finishing pad?

Comment

Originally posted by Sal329 View Post
                      Looks great. When you say yellow pad was that the meguiars pad? If so is the yellow the polishing or finishing pad?

Sorry, It was the Meg's Soft Buff 2.0 Polishing pad
                      Greg D.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');